Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Easily Confused
Recent Photo: Stone Wall
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
What inspires you?
pretty much everything inspires me... light .. color.. .shapes.. the folks in the corner... it's all inspiring..
Do you 'prepare'? How?
I pretty much just point and shoot and hope for the best...
What do you NOT like about photography? And so on.
I don't like the cost.. (who does) .. and when non photographers make snide comments
What times/days do you like to shoot at?
Any time.. day or night... if I can find something to shoot .. I'm there
Do you shoot with other? Like it? Would you like to?
I've not shot with another photographer.. I've gone with a couple of tolerant friends who patiently wait while I shoot
Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc): Something you enjoy doing - or something that has to be done?
I don't mind doing the post work.. I have it pretty much down to a science.. and get through sorting quickly so I can get to the PS work

Kenneth Tynan
  #12    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:23 PM
Here are my responesed to your questions...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fa1sal View Post
This time:
Id love to hear about your shooting habits (if you have any).
  • What inspires you?
    .Im sure most people will agree, its the people before us that inspire us, I look at other peoples work and think to myself how can I make a picture like that, but different. I see things that I like and make it differnt and see what I come up with.
    .People who compliment me inspire me, their words of praise allow me go back out and create more works and better works. Its what you say to me that inspires me to work in ways I some times wouldnt be able to.
    .Other artists, photographers...
  • Do you 'prepare'? How?
    .I load my film and search for what sticks out to me. I have such a very sensitive eye I see things most people dont. The pictures I take stand out to me and I see the picture in a final Image on a piece of paper or a frame and I know thats the shot to take. Its like a third eye kinda thing.
  • What do you NOT like about photography? And so on.
    Whats not to like? Besides the fact some people really need to learn how to take a picture. I can comfortably say that beacuse when I was younger i worked in two Retail stores processing for customes. All I ever saw (not literally all the time) was cute pictures of babies but 25 pictures of almost the same expression.
  • What times/days do you like to shoot at?
    .I love late afternoon approaching dusk and evening, Great for shadows and things of that nature. Early morning works great too!
  • Do you shoot with other? Like it? Would you like to?
    As long as they are not trying to bite what it is I am doing, I have a friend who has his style and his own ideas, I mean its great to work with people you develope together and work and feed off of each other.
  • Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc): Something you enjoy doing - or something that has to be done?
    . I have my methods of printing my black and white that was "my style" as said to me by my teacher. I shall NOT state what that method is, its a common method used by alot of people daily but how I utilize it is what makes some of my prints stand out.
http://www.1stimpression.wordpress.com
  #13    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
What inspires you?
For sure the other members photography on the forum. I can be out, and see something, and wonder how a person here might handle that situation. Depending on where I am. Im also very inspired by music. I am always out with my mp3 player loaded with music. For some reason it gets me in a mood, or a certain groove.
Do you 'prepare'? How?
I dont really prepare at all, except making sure the batteries are charged. Missed a lot of pics cause I went out with low batteries. But one thing is I always wear comfortable clothes.
Missin those shots I wish I didnt and cant get back to re shoot it
Cost is another. I want everything, and cant afford it.

I will shoot anytime. My favorite times are in the morning, before everyone wakes up. I like the peace of the lake, alone, or the trails before they have been walked on. Sometimes I will head out before work, before all the chaos sets in.
I do enjoy shooting with others, but also prefer to be alone(with my pooch). Shooting with others is amazing to have that friendships, share ideas, and see how others will handle the same situation. The meet up are really cool.
I do most of my shooting alone tho. Just me, my music, my camera, my pooch, and where ever I am.
Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc): Something you enjoy doing - or something that has to be done?
I shoot mostly in RAW. I try to just do the basic adjustments, and resizing. I sort of enjoy doing it, sitting down and seeing what I have ruined again. I find with the winter months, I play a little more in photoshop, seeing if I can better an image.
Visit me here..Room57
  #14    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Interesting thread, Faisal.

Inspired by?
Other shots I might see and wonder how they did that.

Prepare?
Not too much. Although I have cut flowers so I could reposition them in better light.

Don't like?
Can't think of any dislikes, but I don't have to change lenses.

Time of day?
When ever I see a shot. Some shots can wait for mid-morning or late afternoon.

Never shot with others, would like to, though.

Post processing?
It's always fun to learn something new in post-processing. I've struggled with PhotoShop but now have PaintShop. My enthusiasm has returned.
BruceS mentioned that he could 'see' the image after PP as he is shooting. I can relate to that, too. I guess I'm learning something by hanging around the Corner.

Andre
  #15    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Photo Traveler
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
* What inspires you?

Nature, beauty, lines, shapes, forms, I mostly have to get away from people, cities etc and concentrate on conecting with the natural world.

* Do you 'prepare'? How?

Yes, I follow weather reports for the following day, check sunrise and sunset times, plan a location, charge batteries, clean lenses, etc.

* What do you NOT like about photography?

All of the things I really want to enhance my enjoyment of it are to expensive and beyond my reach... anyone got a nikon mount AF- 500mm f/4 VR they want to give away?

* What times/days do you like to shoot at?

Any time, all of the time. Different times of the day are suited better to different subjects.

* Do you shoot with other? Like it? Would you like to?

Often, even usually. I enjoy very much going out shooting with other photographers that are intersted in the same subjects or at least places that I am.

I shoot regularly with THIS GUY and THIS GUY. We are planning an outting next month.

* Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc)

It's a chore, the be minimalized by taking the best shot possible at the time of the shoot.

Check out my Galleries at:

http://dehmphoto.smugmug.com
  #16    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Recent Photo: sprinkles3472
Inspiration:
Seeing other really great photos, but almost anything can inspire me, I always seem to be saying to myself "That would be a good thing to shoot"

Preparation:
Remembering to charge the battery

Do Not Like:
Weddings (the cost of equipment is a pain too)

Times:
In a perfect world sunrise & sunset, I usually shoot at sunset because I'm not a morning person. Lately I shoot whenever I can find the time.

With Others:
I've never had the opportunity, but I would love to.

Post Production:
Some days it's fun, some days it's a drag, depends on my mood.
  #17    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Addicted Member
Recent Photo: Dream Home
Some of these answers are the same as others, I feel the same way so I just cut and paste.

What inspires you?

Nature, beauty, lines, shapes, forms, I mostly have to get away from people, cities etc and concentrate on connecting with the natural world.

* Do you 'prepare'? How?

Depends if I am going somewhere to photograph on purpose (trip, client photos, product shots, etc). Most of the time I just grab the camera with my zoom lens and head to High Park.

* What do you NOT like about photography?

The cost of everything. Also the fact that I got thousands of great pictures but I never get around to printing them. The only ones that get printed are the ones I do for work or clients.

* What times/days do you like to shoot at?

Any time, all of the time. If I had to choose one I would say early morning when everything is waking up and there is that cool fog hanging around.

* Do you shoot with others? Like it? Would you like to?

I really enjoyed going out with Carl (Spicoli) because it was interesting to see how he works (would love to do it again sometime) and also he is great company. My little brother is a lot of fun to go out with too because he loves nature and can spot anything that moves from miles away. Last but not least, my wife is always by my side when we go on hikes and is my favorite companion when it comes to photography.

* Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc)

This is where I do my magic. I do Graphic Design for a living and photoshop is like second nature to me. I don't like to mess around with a shot too much but you'd be amazed at how just a little bit of colour correction can make a world of difference.

#18    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Senior VIP Member
This is a great thread, and I'm not entirely sure I qualify to take part in it.

What inspires you?
This might come across as being a corny answer, but I always look to beauty. If it doesn't strike me as being that, then I'm not really interested.
Do you 'prepare'? How?
Preparation for me is very important, as I have normally got the picture I want already in my head. It's then a case of sorting how to best get it. The reason for this will be found below.

This question really is deep for me.
I think the thing I don't like the most about photography, is also the very thing I like the most about it. That is that it is Instant. It can provide a frozen moment to work from at any time.
However, that instantness has prevented some in society to recognise photography as a true Art form. There is more to this than I think I should put here.
I could very easily allow photography to steal me away from the purpose for which I have gone into it. Just not enough time in the day to fit all in. In fact, this is why I don't visit some areas of this site anymore, because I could so easily be distracted by the great works produced by others. So in a way, photography is an unfortunate sacrifice I have to make because there just isn't enough time.
Around midday, indoors with reasonably natural light. That allows me to retain full control over what I next do with a picture.
With another photographer? No. I prefer to be on my own and do my own thing.
Here we have hit what photography is all about for me. It is the tool I use to further paintings and drawings. The photo isn't the end product. By stating that, I'm not intending to imply that a photo can't be the final product, because of course it can be, so there is no reason for why it shouldn't be.
Falling in love with the likes of Photoshop. So some of my works are being carried through there too.
It's the demands of those with regards to time, that I really have to be strict with myself.

Painting and drawing is my first love, so photography has to come second to that for me, unfortunately. So this is why I don't think I really qualify to answer in this thread. Just wanted to take part.
  #19    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: DSC_0098
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
What inspires you?

I see everything as images, its really quite strange lol. Colour, movement, shapes, lines, people, music. And I can't forget to mention the wonderful work that is posted here on the corner - great inspiration!...need I go on

Do you 'prepare'? How?

Hmmm, most times I am just a 'see it and shoot it' kinda girl. Rarely do I have something planned out. I may have images stuck in my head and I will try and capture those. If I do have a planned outing then I make sure the camera is ready to go - lenses, battery etc.

I really had to pick an addictive and expensive hobby. I don't like the 'want/need' of new toys for the camera..I can justify anything if I really 'need' it lol..oh and lens envy! Thanks alot Andy (1/42)& Faisal - you and your 10-20mm lens! I want it

I will shoot anytime of the day. But typically I like the morning and late afternoon light.

Do you shoot with others? Like it? Would you like to?
I love shooting with others and alone. I like the peacefulness of wandering around by myself and taking in my surroundings. But with a group - it's wonderful to see how others handle situations, what catches their eye and how they think. Sharing ideas and getting in some (ok alot!) good laughs makes for a very enjoyable day. I highly recommend it

Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc):

I used to rely heavily on PS. But I didn't want to do that anymore. So now its pretty basic corrections (levels, colour saturation, sharpness), resize, rename..then post

Very cool thread Faisal.

A dream becomes a goal when action is taken toward its achievement. Bo Bennett
---------------------

Yep, this is my Smug!
  #20    Top
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Recent Photo: Isl_View_9
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
What inspires you? Being able to capture the Memories that can be forgotten so quickly. Stopping time.

Do you 'prepare'? Not usually unless I am doing a panorama, I seem to take a bit longer thinking about the capture, where I need to position the camera, setting up the tripod, the pano head and definitely thinking about the correct time of day to shoot along with correct focal length

What do you NOT like about photography? The disappointment that comes with looking at a bad picture that I thought was going to be great, be it camera shake, lighting etc..

What times/days do you like to shoot at? When ever I think the lighting is good enough to shoot, love those early mornings but I seldom have time, got to work to pay for my photo habit just before sunset also a favorite.

Do you shoot with other? I wish I had someone to shoot with who was into photography like I am, I am sure it would turn into a challenge kind of like a game of pool, you always want to make the best shot.

Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc): Something you enjoy doing - or something that has to be done? Got to love the options you have and the ability to save a photo but I would prefer to be good enough that I wouldn't need to do any post processing but I know that will never happen.

Mark
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner