Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Card reader, good or no good?

I cannot believe the amount of shooting time I am actually getting out of my 10D! Much more than i expected. But downloading from the camera takes FOREVER. I have decided to get a reader but I was wondering what everyone else does, and if you do have a reader what kind? Does price represent quality?
  #2    Top
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Junior VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Cleo I was in the same situation a few months ago with my 10d.

I bought an Epson R300 inkjet which has an in built card reader, two birds with one stone. I wouldn't be without this facility, it makes the transfer of RAW files a breeze especially from a full 1G card.
  #3    Top
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
That's what I use also. I have an Epson printer with built-in reader.

If you're looking at just a plain card reader, tho, I would think that the most important thing to look for is the type of connection it has to the computer. A USB 2.0 or "firewire" connection will be faster than an older USB, or other types of connections.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #4    Top
Old February 16th, 2005, 04:14 PM
The Chief
I have been using the card reader for several years now. The price for the USB 2.0 versions is between 12 and 20 dollars. My old one is in Tahiti just keeping it as a backup...

The darkest moments of human history have always had silence on their side. (Sr. Joan Chittister, OSB March 24 2005)
  #5    Top
Old February 16th, 2005, 05:12 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I've got the same Epson printer as William (I vaguely remember even convincing him to buy it!). Anyways, I don't really use the card reader on it anymore... I have a seperate USB 2.0 8-in-1 card reader... I can download a 1GB or 2GB card in less than a minute... worth the $30 or whatever investment for sure.
  #6    Top
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Junior VIP Member
Card reader is the only way to go. It's a lot faster and no additional wire to play with. A 7-in-1 card reader only runs about $40 now.
  #7    Top
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Thanks for the ideas!

It looks like this is going to be the winner

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=353126&is=REG

Ahhh, another reason to visit B&H - I really should stay out of that store!!!!
  #8    Top
Old February 17th, 2005, 11:02 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Wow... 12-in-1... Looks pretty good to me.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous