Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Digital Photography

To the black and white fraternity using chemical baths in a dark room, the arrival of digital photography must have been either a shock (perhaps not yet overcome) or a blessing.

I embraced digital photography when the Canon Powershot 600 came out in 1996. The file size of 'fine' picture quality absorbed 150 kB's of your hard disk. Peanuts, compared to the Canon EOS350D with a file size of 3.3. MB for the 'large' setting. The EOS gives a good range of manual interventions to its automatic features.

Crucial is also good Photo Image software such as the Photo Shop Elements I am using. The trick with imaging software is to use its capabilities wisely if you do wish to retain the originality of your photo, unless you are in to 'warping'..
Paul.
  #2    Top
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Recent Photo: Faces of TJ
Yes - file sizes have really grown over the years. I have found that each time I make a significant jump in my camera eqipment it almost always required a similar jump in my computer system to handle it. You cannot use the latest and greatest camera in a lot of cases on yesterday's PC.
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokeh Cola View Post
Yes - file sizes have really grown over the years. I have found that each time I make a significant jump in my camera eqipment it almost always required a similar jump in my computer system to handle it. You cannot use the latest and greatest camera in a lot of cases on yesterday's PC.
i started out with whatever it was by apple in the mid 90s 1 of the 1st 640x480 cams and have progressed to a mamiya 645 with an aptus 22mp digital back which produces 41 meg raw files only!
Leaf Aptus 22 digital back,
Q-Flash t5d, Epson V700, Epson R2400
profoto strobes, sekonic L558
  #4    Top
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Old Fogey
Recent Photo: Stormy Pasture
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
My "very first" camera was a $2.00 Kodak Brownie box camera. The only memory was me remembering to install film.

Then through numerous years of film (won't say how many) that arrived me at my Nikon stage. The latest and greatest being the FM2 manuals and a 8008s AF.

THEN....I came into digital! The first absolutely awsome camera was a Sony Mavica that would only save to a 3 1/2" disk. BUT!!...it had a whopping 1.3 mp file size! AND!....only cost me $900.00 to boot!

Thus led me....eventually, to my ever faithful D100. Had to wait until it was down to $1,400.00 before I could afford....but about 2 years ago I got it. I was ready and geared for National Geographic! Shot hundreds then thousands of images....heck, I even shot images of my images! NO FILM....NO PROCESSING....shoot until I dropped!

Slowly I noticed something.....my images where getting better.....nothing "pro" by far! But definately getting better. Without a single class or formal instruction I was seeing definately better images. Then it dawned on me....the immediate feedback of my images through the screen, while still on location....gave me the accessment I needed to recompose and change my shooting settings. I was slowly beginning to THINK about the technique and science of this "photography" thing! Because of "digital".....GASP!....I was becoming a PHOTOGRAPHER!

Soooo....as my excitement grew....so did my camera bag! I now shoot with a D200 with my D100 as a backup and companion camera. My lens collection includes newer macro and telephotos with some large primes in the near future. And I have it all because of digital.

Or is it I just like new toys? !!!!!!!

Hope you enjoyed this long winded writing....I am sitting here in the early am drinking coffee and BORED! Can't shoot today, have to work....or maybe....just maybe.....I CAN SHOOT ME WORKING!!!

Have a great and glorious day!

H.W.Rife

Just some old "Nikon" stuff!

There are no stupid questions....only stupid assumptions.

He who dies with the most "Toys"...wins!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101