Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Recent Photo: Aerial Dance
Canon Image Stabilization Question

I'm attaching two images to this post. The first, fullsize.jpg, is a section of a larger image, shown at 100%. The second, typo'ed emlarged.jpg, is an enlarged section of the image, shown at about 230%, enlarged using the "Nearest Neighbor" algorithm to minimize blurring of the image.

This image was shot hand-held at 1/160th sec, f/10, 80mm zoom using a Canon 1Ds and a Canon 28-300mm L-series IS lens. The lens was sent to IS setting 1, which is for unmoving subjects. I haven't had the lens for very long, so I'm still learning its foibles. I've had the camera forever.

As you can see, the image that was captured has some artifacting, resembling a series of short lines at 90-degree angles, almost like crosshatching. These artifacts are present in the original RAW file. As I have owned the camera for quite some time, and used a variety of lenses on it including similar superzooms without ever seeing this before, my inclination is to point to the image stabilizer as the source of the artifacts. This is my first IS lens.

I was standing still, and shooting at a fairly high shutter speed, either of which may have thrown the IS for a loop. I can usually hand-hold under similar conditions (without IS) down to about 1/30th of a second without visible image degradation. I'm wondering if these artifacts are possibly the result of feedback loops in the IS mechanics, which Canon warns about as the reason to disable IS when using a tripod.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? Can you shed some light on the problem? I'm obviously not especially happy about the artifacts; I haven't yet tried to remove them, and I'm not sure I'll be able to completely.

Thanks!

cSoul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsize.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	41651  Click image for larger version

Name:	emlarged.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	41652  

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. --R. Buckminster Fuller
  #2    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Although I am not experienced in this, I am about to purchase (like, today) a Canon IS lens and I have been doing some extensive reading on the features. When the IS is turned on unneccisarily, it tries to reverse something that is not there, thus causing the issue seen in your photo.
Just out of curiousity, what was your ISO? Image stabilization can cause increased ISO sensitivity as well.
  #3    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I was shooting at ISO 100.

That the IS was correcting for non-existant movement is my theory as well, but the artifacts are just so unusual that I thought I'd see what other people thought. I have since disabled the IS unless I *really* need it (it also sucks batteries) and haven't seen any more artifacts.

Thanks!

cSoul

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. --R. Buckminster Fuller
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
ISO 100???
There goes my noise theory. I did a little googling myself and couldn't find anything. Hopefully its a one time issue for you.
  #5    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I'm not familiar with that lens, so much of what I have to say about this may or may not apply.

Canon has different variations of IS lenses. The earlier ones required the IS feature to be turned off when used on a tripod, later ones worked on a tripod. One of the nuances of IS is that you have to allow a full second or more for the IS to stabilize. When I first used IS, it was on a 70-300mm f/5.6 (which many people know is NOT one of Canon's finer moments) which had the earlier type of IS. I didn't care one iota for the feature. On my 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, I love it....the differences are amazing.

Your Canon 1Ds is going to be even more picky than a camera with less resolve. I also shoot with a 1Ds and little things that I didn't notice on my 10D suddenly become an issue with the 1Ds.

You're a better man than I at holding a camera steady at lower shutter speeds. At 55, my hand holding skills have drastically fallen and it becomes more obvious at longer focal lengths and then blowing up the image. Camera shake is an issue that I deal with constantly and has changed the way I shoot over the years. Then again, maybe I'm just too critical on my work when it comes to sharpness...but that's another story.

In short, I'm not sure if IS is your offending culprit or not, but it seems likely to be.
  #6    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
One of the nuances of IS is that you have to allow a full second or more for the IS to stabilize.
Well, that's something that either wasn't in the user's manual, or that I missed when I read it. It's very good to know, as I generally don't wait anyhting like a full second between framing the shot and shooting it. I'll take it into consideration in future, for sure!

Any idea how this works when you're panning a shot - do you have to pan for a full second before firing, also?

Learning every day,

cSoul

#7    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Expat Photographer
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Hmm. I have seen something similar in my images and in fact when I used the 1Ds with a 70-200 f2.8L IS. I was pretty baffled by it too as I didn't use the lens much and only used it twice on that camera. I shoot with IS on all the time on my two most used lenses: Canon 24-105 f.4L IS and Canon 70-300 DO IS and had never really noticed it. I used the 24-105 on the 1Ds most every time I've used the camera. I use setting one as well, although I've read that on setting two the lens reverts to setting one when on a tripod (or just not panning). I don't know the answer. It's wierd!

Like Carl, I'm getting shaky. I'll be 50 next week
Cheers,
Bruce
  #8    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
By His Grace
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I'm not 100% sure on this (and there may be differences between IS generations, as well), but I think that when panning with IS you would need to have your shutter pressed 1/2 way down a second before actually firing, else you'd see the same issue. It's just a slightly longer period of time than it takes to focus the lens, but it's a real issue that must be considered, none the less. In the newer generations, Mode II would be used for panning I think. I need to read up on this again myself. If I can locate it, I'll give a link where Chuck Westfall (Canon) talks about IS and the features.
  #9    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:06 PM
By His Grace
Some links that might be useful

http://www.dlcphotography.net/TripodAndIS.htm

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/...hp/t10513.html

pdf file Getting the most from you EOS1 camera http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/EOS_Digital.pdf

I think the key differences lie in which generation IS your lens has installed. The first generation had the most problems. The 2nd generation dealt with the tripod issue. Hope those links provide some further info for you.
  #10    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM
my 28-135mm IS did it all the time i sold it and wont buy another IS lens!

also do you have a filter on it? when i had a filter on mine it happened all the time when i took it off i didnt get it!
Leaf Aptus 22 digital back,
Q-Flash t5d, Epson V700, Epson R2400
profoto strobes, sekonic L558
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)