Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Moving On Soon...

Hey everyone,

Next year (september) Im leaving my parents house in BC where Ive lived my entire life to leave to University in Saskatchewan to go to school with my girlfriend. Im going to be living in rez and I wondered if anyone had any tips or advice to give me about going to university, or starting out and living on my own, or living in sask in general. Maybe some places I should look up? Or anything that could be useful. Im excited about this next step but also very nervous and scared. Any help would be great
  #2    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Premiere Member
Hints from a mother - whose 2 sons are successfully out on their own ~ I don't know what you already know, so please don't be insulted if I mention something you have mastered.

Ask for a general purpose cookbook - the kind that tells you equivalents, what temp to bake stuff at, etc. Practice cooking BEFORE you move out. Ask your family for a copy of your favorite dishes.

Understand that just because you've always eaten xyz soup, your g/f may have always had abc soup. That first trip to the grocery store together may take a LONG time.

Know how to do laundry - what temps to wash things at; when to use bleach; how to get common stains out of clothes. Also learn how to read clothing labels so you don't shrink things by drying things that shouldn't be put in the drier. Get rid of any clothes that need ironing or learn how to iron (without scorching).

Understand that you will need to allocate several hours a week to dusting, vacuuming, mopping floors, doing dishes, laundry, grocery shopping, and cooking. And you will need to devote time to classes and studying. Stay organized (or learn how to organize). Learn time management and prioritizing. One night partying with your friends can be very tempting (especially if the g/f wants to go....but if you have a test to study for, you need self-discipline.

Moving in with anyone is a big adjustment - g/f even more so than roomies. Make an area that is yours - you WILL need time to yourself. However, establish basic courtesy rules - if she's going to cook dinner and you are late at the library, call her. If she needs to study and you don't, offer to shop without her. If you always end up doing dishes or laundry, eventually you are going to resent it. Same goes for finances - decide what are shared and what are individual expenses. Realize you are going to disagree on things and may handle disagreements differently. Talk that over BEFORE the first argument, so that if she retreats to the bedroom and needs time to cool down or yells alot, you understand this is how she handles these things.

Call home and stay in touch with siblings. Even if you don't think you have anything worth talking about, parents usually love to hear your voice. The best phone calls I got after my eldest moved out (only 1 mile away) was 11pm and hearing him say "I just wanted to say g'night, Mom". If family has email, send pictures of 'nothing' - where you live, your room, the campus, a pic your g/f takes of you, your new best friend, anything.

Think about what your 'weaknesses' are - are you really bad procrastinating or getting up in the morning? a constant spender? Think about how you can correct weaknesses and start now - you will have enough adjustments to make when you mov wwithout trying to change bad habits too.

Good luck - I know it is exciting but somewhat daunting to look at moving out and far away. If you start preparing now, it will make things easier!
  #3    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Resident Meanie-Head
Recent Photo: roz1
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
She said it all. That's VERY good advice. You'll be fine, I promise. It's scary at first, but being out on your own is a great step!

NO SNIVELLING
www.screaminglight.com

My Kids Demon Can Beat Up Your Kids Demon!
  #4    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Thank you so much red
Thats very helpful advice, you have no idea. Thank you so much for taking some time to help me out .
Thanks red and soopah for the support and moral boost
  #5    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:06 PM
The Godfather
Recent Photo: Some shots from 2010
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
You know what they say, Mother Knows Best!

Leica M8, Nikon D200, Kodak DCS Pro14n, Olympus E20n, Leica R8, Leica M3, Bessa T101 w/50mm Heliar, Kodak 260,
  #6    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Expat Photographer
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
She sure did give good advice! I lived on pot pies and frozen burritos The only other thing I would add is to have fun with the uni experience, but don't forget you're there to get an education. I worked hard for 3 years before going back to school, and I treated school as a job. Saw too many other people partying their lives away with mom and dad paying the bill. I paid for my school ('course it was a lot cheaper in the late 70s and 80s. In the end, my hard work in school paid off with a good career. Then I decided to become an artist and move to England and I'm poor, but that's another story

Best of Luck,
Bruce
  #7    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Winter
Hey Pal after 35 years everything Red said +1. Good luck and have fun!!!
Bob
  #8    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Easily Confused
Recent Photo: Stone Wall
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
All very good advice... and remember you can always ask questions in here lots of folks who are happy to help

Kenneth Tynan
  #9    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Premiere Member
Thanks everyone
Its really nice to have support from here.
Makes it a lot easier knowing there are people that have done what Ive done and know a thing or two about it.
Yea BruceS Im not planning on partying really, I dont drink at all and definetly not into drugs or something stupid like that, so Im hoping I'll be able to concentrate on school a little easier. I also have to pay for my own schooling, its not going to be cheap either lol.
  #10    Top
Old January 14th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Old Fogey
Recent Photo: Stormy Pasture
Glad to see that last comment Click....I was just going to tell you not to chase 12 oz glass of Scotch with a 12 oz glass of Gin.

And that is from experience!

Also....the fact that you had the good sense to ask for advice tells me you have a good head on your shoulders....you my friend, I believe...will do just fine!

H.W.Rife

Just some old "Nikon" stuff!

There are no stupid questions....only stupid assumptions.

He who dies with the most "Toys"...wins!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner