Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Recent Photo: Horny Toad Lizard
What DSLR Cameras Shoot in TIFF??

I want to upgrade to a DSLR camera and I have found only a few that shoot in TIFF besides RAW and JPEG..the Nikon D2X and the Olympus E-5000..I would like to know if there are any others that shoot in the TIFF format..the D2X sounds really nice but I know I can't afford that particular camera..I've been leaning more toward the Nikon D80 anyways or the XTI 400D..but I don't think these shoot in TIFF format..
P.S. I've tried shooting in RAW but I think I much prefer shooting in TIFF..even though most other photographers shot in RAW and love it, which is great..but, for me TIFF works much better..
So any kind of help on this matter would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks..
  #2    Top
Old January 18th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Recent Photo: Aerial Dance
Word to the wise... the Canon 1Ds (and some older cameras, like old kodak dSLRs) labels its raw images .tif, but they're not TIFF files. Be warned!

cSoul

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. --R. Buckminster Fuller
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
The Fuji S2 Pro can shoot in TIFF mode if recall correctly. It would be a couple generations old however compared to today's technologies.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
  #4    Top
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:02 PM
A Totally Awesome Guy
Recent Photo: Purple
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
For what it's worth: I just bought a Canon 30D and it came with software called "Digital Photo Professional" It allows me to shoot in Raw or Jpg or a combination of Raw and various Jpg sizes. Anyway, when I shoot in Raw, I can convert all the photos to Tiff 8bit or Tiff 16bit with a batch process action.

This may or may not help, but it's an option!
  #5    Top
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Premiere Jerk
Recent Photo: Ripple Path
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
I shoot Raw then convert to 16bit Tiff. It's almost like shooting in tiff but you get smaller image files on your media card among other benefits. Yes it's an extra step to convert but plenty of programs out there that converts the raw file better then the camera can. It's a fast process.
  #6    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Recent Photo: Horny Toad Lizard
Thanks for the replies..
ScottU and Just Jerk, My camera came with a program as well..and I have tried it..and it takes FOREVER to open the RAW files up and even more FOREVER to convert them to TIFF's..and it only gives me to option of converting them to either a 48 or 24 bit TIFF..and that ends up being way too much in file size..my computer can't handle all that..and I don't have the money to upgrade my computer's memory just yet..or hard drive...I can work with the TIFF format much much easier and it doesn't put a lot of stress on my computer..I have a much better work flow..it doesn't take up anytime at all to open the TIFF files or work with them etc..but the other night it took me two hours just to open and convert only 5 RAW images to TIFF...
So, that's why I'm looking for a camera that can shoot in TIFF..I just like it much better...

Thank you to the otehrs that replied, but I'm not looking for an older camera..I need one that has more megapixels to it..I used to have a 3.1mp and a 5.0mp and I didn't care for them..and for the work I will be doing in the near future I will need a DSLR camera that has a real good amount of mp's....

I guess I will have to keep looking or I may end up just having to do with what I have and not be able to do what I want to do as far as business wise...

I do appreciate all the help and info y'all have given..
  #7    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Question, do you have options to shoot in .jpg? Then it's a distinct possibility that the convert time may be quicker from a .jpg to a .tiff file. I don't know if you want to work with a lossy format as opposed to one that doesn't lose pixels when you open and close images.
My Gear
  #8    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Recent Photo: Aerial Dance
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiroze View Post
Thanks for the replies..
ScottU and Just Jerk, My camera came with a program as well..and I have tried it..and it takes FOREVER to open the RAW files up and even more FOREVER to convert them to TIFF's..and it only gives me to option of converting them to either a 48 or 24 bit TIFF..and that ends up being way too much in file size..my computer can't handle all that..and I don't have the money to upgrade my computer's memory just yet..or hard drive...I can work with the TIFF format much much easier and it doesn't put a lot of stress on my computer..I have a much better work flow..it doesn't take up anytime at all to open the TIFF files or work with them etc..but the other night it took me two hours just to open and convert only 5 RAW images to TIFF...
So, that's why I'm looking for a camera that can shoot in TIFF..I just like it much better...

Thank you to the otehrs that replied, but I'm not looking for an older camera..I need one that has more megapixels to it..I used to have a 3.1mp and a 5.0mp and I didn't care for them..and for the work I will be doing in the near future I will need a DSLR camera that has a real good amount of mp's....

I guess I will have to keep looking or I may end up just having to do with what I have and not be able to do what I want to do as far as business wise...

I do appreciate all the help and info y'all have given..
Ok, time to break out the computer geek for a second.

24-bit TIFF is 8 bits per color * 3 colors; 48 bit is 16 bits per color. If 24 bit tiffs are too much for your computer, than shooting tiff in the camera at the same megapixels will still kill it. Adding more pixels in any format is just gonna bog your computer down more.

Something like 25 minutes is *way* too long for a single conversion; I'm going to guess your computer is either at least 10 years old, or came from Wal-Mart, or, possibly, both. My Gateway, bought new in 1999, is slow, but it's still faster than that!

My reccommendation? F*ck the new camera, sink the cash into a new computer. Anythign that slow probably can't be upgraded enough to make it work well for graphics, and you're not going to be able to take advantage of even a Prosumer DSLR if you're trying to crunch images on an HP Pavilion from Wal-Mart.

My 2c,

cSoul

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. --R. Buckminster Fuller
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner