Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Initial Purchase of Lighting Equipment (Studio Shooting and Site Lighting)

I am trying to get a professional lighting setup for my photography business. My objective is to hit the real estate/interior design/architectural firms in my commuting distance of 100 mile radius offering my services as a photographer. Since I have a background in real estate sales myself and know just what type of real estate marketing photography "sells" and will more than likely work with the realtor to try to set up the shoot so that it will coincide with effective marketing done by the realtor to sell the property.

As for the interior design/architectural photography, the emphasis will be on esthetics and composition whereas with the real estate photography, it will be more of an emphasis on eye-catching, yet practical, functional shots.

Iím just wondering if someone could give me an idea of what kind of lighting equipment/umbrellas/sync flashes that I would have to somehow acquire to facilitate starting this venture. I'm thinking of an Nikon SB-800 as the master controller and building my lighting system around that. Any hints on other lighting equipment would be of help. Thanks.
My Gear
  #2    Top
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
the sb800 idea is good, but not great. you would need about 3 to 5 flashes to cover a larger room or the front of a house. If it were me personally I would look at photoflex's new lights. You could buy 3 lights, have alot more power and control. I would also get soft boxes instead of umbrellas.

http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_P...650/index.html
this light, a good 5' or 7' octodome on a boom. 2 lights on the side with large softboxes. That could cover a huge room. I used to use the soft boxes with my old Dynalite stuff, but its more expensive than the photoflex and the same quality.

this link will teach you more about lighting
http://www.photoflexlightingschool.c...ons/index.html
http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=5003
  #3    Top
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Senior VIP Member
Super, thanks, fotobubba. I'll take a good look at the instructional site.

Also, another quick question: Can I make my site lighting setup work as an indoor portrait studio setup as well since my wife wants to specialize in portraits. Try to kill two birds with one stone until such time as we're both managing to work this photography gig full-time and can afford to get two lighting setups.
My Gear
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Image_04502
alien bees are also good. but setup and take down for each house you do could be tiresome. i am also looking at helping a realtor friend of mine with the house pics. so far i have just used available light because i didnt want to set the lights up. the little ones might be more portable but you will pay just as much for them and they are not as good for portrait work.
  #5    Top
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
I agree with TimAndrea, you will pay the same if not more for small speedlights when you could get something like the alien bees. And the Alien bees are 100% better for portrait work.
  #6    Top
Old January 25th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Old Fogey
Recent Photo: Stormy Pasture
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I am shooting images of my house in Florida so I can list it for sell. I am using available light. I have to use a tripod because the exposures are pretty long, but it is working out. I also have a couple of yard sale flashes that I put on slave flash "peanuts" (the little devices you use to activate a slave flash with your primary). The peanuts cost about $30.00 USD and most of my flashes are Vivatar 283's. Some I bought for $2.00! No TTL flash control, so you have to work some on exposure....but cheap!

H.W.Rife

Just some old "Nikon" stuff!

There are no stupid questions....only stupid assumptions.

He who dies with the most "Toys"...wins!
  #7    Top
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Senior VIP Member
On the subject of "available light", it's a determination of whether or not the interior has enough "available" light to illuminate the setup with just the small add-on flash unit.

This was what I achieved on a realtor friend's listing with one small E2200 and it's miniscule flash.

Note the sharp shadows cast by the flash and this was a photogenic place, with wide open windows; lots of light streaming in. You're looking at breaking out the "bees" with a turn of the century home that specialized in small cramped windows.
My Gear
  #8    Top
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Premiere Member
if you do go alien bees, have your wife get the new ring flash. its expensive but freaking awesome. as for regular lights, you won't see a difference between most of the ameture companies.
http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=5003
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting