Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Software Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:23 AM
I need help with vector masks!

I'm working through a photoshop book on masking and compositing by Katrin Eisman and I'm stumped. In the section on vector masks, she has a pic of a violin you can download and follow along with the example in the book. She cuts the violin out with the pen tool, adds a vector mask and lifts the violin and moves it to a new background. I do all of the exact same steps and the violin disappears and all I see is the transparent background. I tried this by unlocking the background layer, duplicating the background layer, etc. and still end up with no violin and the background layer transparency showing. I am not on a shape layer, I have clicked on paths. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I have always used layer masks before. Is there a reason to use vector masks over layer masks? Any comments are very welcome.
  #2    Top
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Is the path you made selected and active before adding the vector mask?
  #3    Top
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
Yes, the path is active and chosen. I still must be doing something wrong.
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:23 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Not sure what step you missed. Here's a movie tutorial on vector masks. Perhaps seeing it may show where you went wrong.

http://www.tutorio.com/tutorial/vector-mask
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Software Corner