Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: Mac or PC ?
Mac (laptop) 18 24.32%
PC (laptop) 30 40.54%
Mac (desktop) 13 17.57%
PC (desktop) 46 62.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. You may not vote on this poll

#21    Top
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM
Recent Photo: Aerial Dance
"Once you go Mac, you never go back"

We currently have 3 desktops running:

PowerMac G5 - Main server and processing machine
Windows 2000 - secondary server
Windows XP - the kids' gaming machine (the kids are 8 and under, so not a gaming machine like you think.)

and 2 laptops:

Powerbook G4 - my primary home computer and the main photo portable
Windows XP - not technically "mine", it's owned by the company I work for full-time. It's also the only truely stable one of the windows machnies (a direct result of the company's proprietary software and registry mods), and even it freaks out when I jump form one network to another.

We also have a *really old* berry-colored iMac (CRT, not LCD) and another WinXP box gathering dust, becuase we have no real need for them.

Every peice of software we thought we needed the PC for - has a comperable Mac program or version (usually the same cost for a different version, significantly cheaper for a different program, and *lots* of freeware) or an online application from Google or similar that has the same functionality.

We're adding a 24" iMac soon, and ASAP, a RAID - we have over 1 TB of storage in the house at the moment, and it's running at around 80% capacity. We're also going to add a mac mini as a multimedia PC attached to a TV, to run movies and suchlike.

Oh yeah - we also have 3 iPods .

cSoul

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. --R. Buckminster Fuller
Sponsors
  #22    Top
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:53 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_7682aweb
We always make the kids suffer, don't we?

I bought my son a cheap, used laptop for Christmas. I originally had installed Edubuntu on it - which is an AWESOME Linux distro for kids, but he kept deleting things and I'm not familiar enough with Linux to fix it.
So, back to WinXP he went
Help raise awareness about food allergies!!!
  #23    Top
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:00 PM
Recent Photo: Aerial Dance
well, they're just going to beat the heck out of the software anyway - no point in giving them something that I'm going to cringe every time I have to reformat, is there? Once they get to the point where they know not to delete the program files or add 40,000 copies of one shortcut to the desktop, and learn to defrag the HD once in a blue moon, we'll see about upgrading them

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong. --R. Buckminster Fuller
  #24    Top
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Premiere Member
AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm laughing hard at the shortcut thing. He does that constantly and I'm seriously anal about desktops being cluttered with icons
That's a big part of why he got his own computer
  #25    Top
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Demon View Post
20D, I thought the same thing for a long time

It sooooooo is *lovingly caressing my Mac*.
HEY...there's minors in here!!! Get a room!!!

Someone on another board mentioned I should get myself a Mac since I'm into "digital photography".

"Come to the Dark (Mac) Side"...

My response... "NEVER!!!!!!!"

My Gear
  #26    Top
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Premiere Member
For those of us who have "seen the light", PCs are the Dark Side
  #27    Top
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Elite Member
I custom build my own PC's. Currently I have 2. The attraction for me is the ease of upgrading parts and not the whole computer.
  #28    Top
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Seems as though Mac is losing go figure haha.
I know PC is a much more popular computer, but I think its because of Mac's poor choices in advertising and doing business. They are starting to make a come-back though.
Im looking forward to getting my Mac iBook.
  #29    Top
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Premiere Member
I think as far as computers go, Apple is always going to be more successful and more profitable playing to a niche market and they know it.
  #30    Top
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
hahaha I never saw that reference to star wars before
Thats awesome! But I agree, Ive used the mac already a lot and Im loving it much more than this stupid slow PC lol. The Mac side is the light side, PC's are the dark side.