Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM
How to create those amazing pictures?

I was wondering how photographers like Dave Hill (http://www.davehillphoto.com/ ), Patrick Hoelck ( http://www.patrickhoelck.com/ ), Chapman Baehler ( http://www.chapmanbaehler.com/ ) create those painted like pictures?! What camera do they use and what secrets do they have for the post process to get that results?

Hope to get some interesting and helpfull responses.

Greetz,
Rick
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:46 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
What camera they use is irrelevant. It's all in the processing in the case of the first one. I didn't visit the other sites, assuming they were similar. Photoshop offers a number of ways to achieve effects similar to these.
  #3    Top
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
aaah thats it!?? oh man I would love to know how they do that, please look at the second one listed, he is my favorite, how does he get a group with all there faces lit but the surroundings are dark/shadowy and just razor sharp! man I don't think I've ever seen anything that tack sharp, amazing stuff
  #4    Top
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:42 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I don't want to make it sound like all they do is post process. That is far from the truth. It starts with control of the light and capturing the image with the proper exposure, focus, and depth of field for the situation. Using very good glass is a given. After that, then the magic of the digital darkroom can do its thing. Each artist will have a favored technique, many of them unwilling to share their exact methods. There are plenty of tutorials available to do various techniques. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the "obviously" processed look. But, it seems to be the latest rage, at least in fashion and glamor photography.
  #5    Top
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Too Far
Recent Photo: Thristy 2
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I am only guessing here, but it looks like HDR to me.
Here is a link to one of the programs used to help acheive this look http://www.hdrsoft.com/

I agree, this effect looks awesome!
  #6    Top
Old March 29th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: garden080621-JJ2E8353
I think ohenry covers well on what it takes to create the images found on those sites. It's not just a camera, a lens or a technique that you need to make such work, it's many things involved in one's photography. Quality, reliable equipment in all parts of the production, and the knowledge to use them to achieve the effect of the concept. I can guarantee you that all of the images' concepts were well drawn out and planned before they shot any images. On commercial shoots, no one likes surprises. Those photographers, guessing just from visiting their sites, are well trained and have mastered their technical skills from lighting, capture and post production, invested lots of time, money and team work to create those images. To finally answer your question, they could've used just about any camera and different photoshop skills to achieve all of those photos. Yes, the HDR is a wonderful look and it has its place in photography, but not in portrait work.
  #7    Top
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:28 AM
Years of experiance

Hi Rick, As an artist myself for over 20 years, I can tell you that they don't make those magical programs that turn your average photograph into a work of art like you see in the web sites you provided. That comes from years of training and experimentation from one's own creativity and imagination. Each of those photo's they did up in Adobe Photoshop CS2 more than likely and took them several hours to complete.

Regards, Erik Barnes
  #8    Top
Old April 3rd, 2007, 05:48 AM
another thing I thought about is that being that the camera is very selective in what it sees, some of those places could have been sets? - maybe they had some small spot lights hanging down from above to light the peoples faces in the back - I don't know, just a guess..
  #9    Top
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Fire Orange
That takes time, practice and experience to achieve that. Along with hours of photoshopping. But it all starts with a great picture first then they just tweek it a litle in photoshop or some kind of photo editing program. Man, thats one thing I've learned lately myself you have to take a really good picture first to get the look in the end that you want. Lighting is a key factor in getting a great shot also. Just read, listen, watch and practice practice practice! Thats what I'm having to do.

Proud owner or D300, 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8

D40 {forsale}
D80 {forsale}
18-70mm (forsale}
50mm 1.8 {forsale}
  #10    Top
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Destiny
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Hello all

Actually, if the look you're going for is for the style shown in the Dave Hill website - it's actually a photoshop filtering process called The Dave Hill Look.

Here's a step by step tutorial that helped me create something kind-of similar to the style you're asking for in my photo: The Juice Master

The tutorial is at:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobis...7594577686705/

Have fun!

follow me on Facebook & twitter
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101