Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:18 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Colorizing a Black & White Photograph in Photoshop

Tutorial: Colorizing a Black & White Photograph in Photoshop

Thanks for creating this tutorial for us, drlynn!
  #2    Top
Old July 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Again, great tutorial, drlynn. I hope people enjoy and make use of your hard work.
  #3    Top
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I enjoy it, Tim. I hope someone gets something useful from it.

Thanks to you for coding it!
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #4    Top
Old July 9th, 2004, 10:12 PM
The Corner Creator
The pleasure is all mine. I'm sure it will benefit the community.
  #5    Top
Old January 1st, 2005, 04:42 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Question

Hello.

I have been experimenting with some of the GREAT photoshop tutorials. I did one black and white photo where I put color into just a shirt. My question is, what type of file do you have to start with? The reason I ask is because on the next picture I was going to do the same thing to, the option to create a layer mask is muted out so I can't select it. I don't even think it was lit up when I did the first one but somehow, I was able to do it.

Thanks for any advice....

My Website
  #6    Top
Old January 1st, 2005, 06:26 PM
The Corner Creator
Yeah, if you don't have a layed image, you have to create a new layer... it's best to use any loseless image, like a psd file in photoshop, for instance.
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old January 1st, 2005, 09:51 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I think your color mode is set to an option that doesnt allow layers, just a background layer. Try converting the color space to RGB.

Im not 100% sure this is the problem but it could be.
  #8    Top
Old January 1st, 2005, 09:59 PM
VIP Member
I just checked. If the color mode is set to indexed, the new layer button is disabled. Its ok in greyscale and rgb.
  #9    Top
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:42 AM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
To use the method I described, you need to be in CMYK mode.

Your problem might not be with the file type. Photoshop will not allow you to add a mask to the "background" layer. Check your Layers palette. If it only has one layer, then you will need to grab that layer by clicking and holding with your mask and then dragging it down to the "Create a New Layer" icon (the one that looks like a stack of paper with the lower left corner folded up on the top sheet). This will make a 2nd layer that should be titled "background copy." You should be able to add a mask to this layer.

Or you can add adjustment layers and add masks to them, or you can rename the backgound layer. If you name it "Layer 0" or something then you can manipulate it as you would any other layer.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #10    Top
Old January 2nd, 2005, 08:58 AM
P-R-O-crastinator
Thanks for all the advice. I was able to figure it out after messing around with it. I had my main photo as the background and I kept forgetting to put it in CMYK mode. I was able to go to layers and do a new adjustment layer and choose curves. I am now ready for another tutorial...hehehe!!!

Now if only I could figure out why when I click on the photo's for fun posts, the pictures dont show up but just a box with title, image path, etc does.

My Website
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials