Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Elite Member
Equipment for Fashion Photography

I am slowly venturing in the field of fashion photography but I am unsure as to what is the proper equipment that I should have.

Right now I have a Canon 30D and was thinking about getting an Apple laptop. I am unsure as to what to get next but I do know that I want to be able to see the photos right away on screen after I have taken them.

Any advice on equipment would be absolutely helpful!

Thanks,
snapshot

p.s. I posted this some place else since I was unsure of just exactly where to post this request. sorry for the inconvenience!
  #2    Top
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Image_04502
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
the obvious first question is budget. the camera is fine, a decent lense is helpful. some lights with accessories, softbox etc. it also depends on what level of "fashion" you are looking to try and accomplish. to me the hard part is the setup or staging. and dont forget about the hairstylist and makeup.
i guess what i am saying is it is not really the equipment you use but the preparation before you shoot. so maybe refine your question because there are a lot of possible answers all leading to different results. maybe this will atleast get you thinking what it is you want out of the picture.
  #3    Top
Old April 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Elite Member
TimAndrea thanks for your input. However the equipment is what is most important to me at this time. I already know how to prepare for a fashion shoot. I also know that I want to create images fit for a fashion magazine or even a model portfolio. For example, if you have ever seen america's next top model, then those are the kind of shots I am aiming for. Hence the importance of the equipment and just basic equipment is what I am after at this time since I am already aware of lighting and such and I do intend to build on what I already own.

snapshot
  #4    Top
Old April 10th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
ok, first i am writing without a filter on so i may come across the wrong way but i do have good intentions and i hope you can look pass my choice of words.
you say you know how to set up for a shoot so is the question only if you need a laptop? i thought you were asking how to do a whole shoot and not just a matter of a pc. the only equipment you list is your camera so i assumed you had not worked with lighting, props, staging, and makeup. also the fact that you asked the question in the first place suggested that you were unfamiliar with that type of shot.
i am by no means a fashion photographer, just one photog trying to help another, i would love to do a shoot like in top model there is a lot of work that goes into them and i watch it to gleem inspiration and maybe some hints.
so anyway, hope i helped a little and i look forward to seeing what you produce
  #5    Top
Old April 12th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Elite Member
Yes TimAndrea, you did help me quite a bit and I do realize that I should have been clearer, sorry! I also try to watch Top Model and get ideas but I cannot seem to figure out more than the lighting, camera and a laptop what else they are using. Help!!!

snapshot
  #6    Top
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Premiere Member
that is all you need, lights and modifiers to get the mood you want, camera to capture and a pc to view how it all looks. to me the biggest thing is getting it staged and makeup. yes lighting too but you can play around with that but i have no clue how to put eyeliner and stuff on to give it that model look. also getting all the props together so it doesnt look like you did it in your living room.
so what have you done so far? and i seem to be missing the question, if you already know lighting and makeup then why do you feel something is missing? what is it about your pics that is making you ask the questions?
ok, the other thing is i have searched this site to see if you had any people shots posted and i couldnt find anything. maybe give some background as to what you shoot now, people, animals landscape, etc.. then have you ever done or tried to do fashiony type pics, what type of setup do you currently have, how many lights and gadgets. what camera are you working with and so on. I could be wrong but it seems like you havent really done portraity type shots and feel like you know lighting and setup but havent had the actual chance to execute. hence all the questions about what is needed.
so post some pics, throw a little history in there and lets see what we can come up with.
  #7    Top
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:02 PM
from what ive seen they are using hassleblads and mamiyas and digital backs, probably leaf capture software, or phase one software and backs, anyone can get 4-5 decent stobes and softboxes, beauty dishes ect... some seamless rolls and a good light meter, that was the 1 good class i paid attention to in school was the fashion setups and lighting ect...
Leaf Aptus 22 digital back,
Q-Flash t5d, Epson V700, Epson R2400
profoto strobes, sekonic L558
  #8    Top
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Elite Member
Thanks a million Vortex, now I can start somewhere when it comes to equipment/setup. Thanks for answering my question so straightforward, I do appreciate it. Yeah!

snapshot
  #9    Top
Old October 1st, 2007, 11:42 AM
Snapshot,
Now I'm not claiming to be super advanced, but i do know that right now in fashion, a ringlight is used often. It creates (depending on how you use it) a very surreal look sometimes, with even lighting across the model. Now some ringlights can be modified with Grids, Softboxes, and Umbrellas. I do own an AlienBess ABR800 Ringflash unit with the 56" moon unit and covers. I find that this ONE light does work very well, of course, like i said it depends on how you use it. For the cheap price of this light, and the 60 day return policy If I were you I would get this light and try it out. This flash also has the capability of being used off camera as well. So it's very vesitile. Now it does only off 320 True Watt Seconds, so sometimes in bring sunlight shoots, it may not have tons of power. You also might consider getting a second light to use as a kicker or one for a hairlight at times. AlienBees offers affordable equipment. But it not quite as durable as ProFoto, but if you care for your equipment it should be fine. I hope this helps...

nHillphotography
----------------------------------------
Canon 1D-MarkIIN
Apple Computers
AlienBees Strobes
Passion.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting