Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#51    Top
Old August 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Walking around Barrow .. ..

Some of the sights that are in plain view around the village of Barrow. Food being prepared, Skins being cleaned, for the new covers for the skin boats (umiaq). Umiaq's are everywhere you look in this village, some new, some of them, decades old, filled with stories of past whale hunts.

And then, you come across a new umiaq underconstruction. This is a lot of work to build a sea worthy craft, this requires very skilled workmanship.

An umiaq requires the use of 5 or 6 (Oogruk) (Bearded Seal) skins to cover the boat in the correct manner.

Everyplace you walk in this village, you will see, old umiaq wooden frames from boats used long ago. Whaling equipment is visible everyplace you walk and look in Barrow.

Children are in constant training in their own special ways & methods. Whaling is deep ingrained into their spirit !

Living in a whaling village is very exciting, watching the people work, seeing all of the work involved, BEFORE whaling ever gets started. I have said many times in other forums, it takes a whole year.. .. just to get ready to go whaling. The expense(s) that each captain has to invest is just staggering !!

You have absolutely no idea on the incredible amount of work involved to move hundreds of people many miles, and live out on that ice pack for two months time. One whaling captains sled collection. Moving all that is needed to each camp, requires dozens of dangerous trips out to the camp sites. Anything can happen out there, with no warning at all.

Having personally attended & photographed 5 whale hunts, spending a total time of 10 months or more living on that ice pack is a completly different frozen world for sure. There is just no way to put that experience into words that will impart the difficulty of doing the most menial of tasks.

Food is prepared well in advance, Jerky, (Panaqtaq), dried fish, dried caribou, dried Oogruk ribs. This takes many weeks or months depending on how the individual likes it prepared. Some like it soft and some like it very hard. It also depends on the weather, If it is hot and sunny it will only take a few weeks.

Panataq is delicious, I do not like eating fish per say, but dried salmon is absolutely delicious !!!

Lots more to follow.. .. .. soon !!
  #52    Top
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Arctic sunsets .. .. .. ya gotta wait !!

with nothing but snow, ice and flat frozen tundra, it is difficult to create an image of a sunset with nothing to work with to frame that image.

Here are some of my recent attempts. (chuckle) !!

Waiting is the hard part.. .. it is darn cold and the wind is never ending !!

Keeping your camera on a tripod @ 40 below zero, while we wait..

better fill all your pockets with .. .. patience !! a minute seems like an hour in these sub zero temps.

Many times I just wanted to walk away, Give up, it is so cold. and just standing here, doing nothing but waiting, you get cold quickly.. so, turn around, place back to the wind and warm up !!

I just love the soft pastel colors

And what happens when you finally bring that camera inside the house to warm up ???

It "sweats" for many hours, on a thick towel, after it begins to defrost.. .. drip drip drip !!

#53    Top
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Walter's Gate
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Wow what a series and a hardy welcome.....enjoyed the whole 6 pages and hope you continue to keep us apprised of the stories and the successes......my best wishes for your ventures and I guess we can't complain about the little freeze we are having here.....Best of Luck........

If You Have'nt Grown Up By Age 30....You Don't Have To!!....(unknown...but written On Stone...honest!)

Gear
Canon XSi
Canon EF-S 18-55 IS Lens
Sigma AF 70-300mm 4-APO DG II Macro
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

"and my Trusty Little Snappy"
Kodak "Pink" M753 EASYSHARE
"and a Bean Bag, In Tribute to My DAD"

How do I become a Premiere Member? | How do I upload to the Corner Galleries?
How do I enter a Photograph of the Month Contest? | How do I enter a Contest Corner Challenge?
Photography Corner Map | Chatroom
  #54    Top
Old December 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Premiere Member
I guess the good thing is that sunsets come and go quickly...Love your trio of sunset shots, they look like art as in the painted type. It's great that you're chronicling life in the high north as one wonders when that way of life will cease maybe 100 years from now more or less? I have to admit that looking at your frozen camera almost gave me a heart attack...lol.
LLee
  #55    Top
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
That frozen camera took over 7 hours to thaw & cease dripping & sweating, it was more then 50 below zero outside. the camera was outside and exposed the whole time. Try that will digital.. (NOT) !!

Once your outside with a camera in the Arctic, you better keep it outside because it is going to be many hours before it is functional once again.

Happy New Year 2009 from Barrow Alaska - Top of the world !!

Sponsors
  #56    Top
Old January 25th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Here comes the Sun !!

HERE COMES THE SUN !!! (finally) !!

In Barrow Alaska, top of the world, the sun dipped below the horizon on November 18th, it rose today for the first time in 2009 !!

On the roof, of the Suvat Center, trying to capture images of the upcoming sunrise.

You would never think it is almost NOON here in Barrow, but that is the time of day !!

11:30 a.m. Barrow Alaska, we had to leave this site because they close @ noon !!

People busy about their business walking, driving, the temp is 40 below w/ 20 mph winds

Here comes the SUN .. .. (insert music here) !!

For the very first time in 2009 - we finally see the SUN !!!

Now there is enough light for a while, to dig out this old tent and begin to get ready for the spring hunt (soon) !!

4 cameras on 4 different crews this spring hunt will bring you right out on the ice, to enjoy the beauty and splendor of the frozen far north, gathering food !!
We will be creating movies, images and I am sure there will be a lot of stories that are all easily verifiable !!

Stay tuned to this ongoing thread of life in the Arctic ! I promise you spectacular images .. ..

#57    Top
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Here comes the Sun !!

Amazing story! Thoroughly enjoyed reading through all of it. Best of luck on the hunt!
  #58    Top
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Re: High in the Arctic !! Eskimo....!

Thank you very much, I can promise you some amazing photographs of the arctic way of life .. as it happens !!

Once again, thanks for taking the time Marcel.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner