Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 15th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Black and white....

Hey all! It didnt take me long to figure out what I needed help with.... Id like to know if you could help me.... I started off in photography, just by taking pictures of planes, and I really didnt take many pictures of things that didnt intrest me..... well, Ive since changed my ways, and now I hope to learn a few things about every day photography.... In the aviation field, rules for photography are quite stringent, photos must be compsed well, and tack sharp..... I've tried to apply this method to all photographs, but it just doesnt look right..... Im hoping that I've started to turn the corner with this shot, (altho it may be a bit oversharpened).... can you help me out with some pointers in shooting black and white???? I took this picture of my cat, critter, just as I was finishing a batch of plane photos..... a bushel basket behind him, lit naturally by sun thru the window.... I got down on my belly and got a shot off...... any pointers of wrong and if anything turned out right, would greatly be appreciated......
-Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	critter.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	2974  
  #2    Top
Old March 15th, 2005, 01:02 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
This is a fairly good shot, Jay. I like the fact that you got down to the animal's level rather than shooting from above. It gives a much more pleasing shot. Nice use of available light and your focus and exposure look good. The background is a bit distracting because of the dark area to the right. Perhaps a slight different angle to keep more of the basket behind the cat. (I realize that getting things perfect with animal portraits is next to impossible as they rarely do as we wish).
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old March 15th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for looking! I appreciate your imput....contrast and brightness was tweaked in PS... I tried to make it look bold, but I wasnt sure if I went overbored...... thanks again, Ill keep the background in mind next time!!
-Jay