Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#21    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:22 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I think the 10k shutter actions is just a mean average. Some fail before it, some last much longer. And there has to be a way to fix it. I think burned pixels is a bigger problem. The more you get, the more time you get to spend in photoshop using the heal brush to remove them.
  #22    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:29 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
to get the mp, just multiply the width by the height. The picture cd's ive seen around are usually grainy and only 1.4mp or so. Kodak has a pro system that offers larger mp scans but I dont know of anyone here that offers that. But thats just this area, no idea about others. :0)

Thats a good deal for developing and picture cd. I got the same deal a while ago, but just because the manager was working and she was nice, I wanted to know about the picture cd and she didnt have the info, so she didnt charge me for it, just for developing. But I didnt get that deal again, didnt really want to ask, partially cuz I was applying for a job there.
  #23    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:17 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Quote:
I think the 10k shutter actions is just a mean average. Some fail before it, some last much longer.
Are you saying that the shutter in digital goes out after that many actions? That just sounds like more cost into digital and all this stuff is commiting me even more to stay with film.

The processing lab I use is GREAT. They are starting to get to know me and why I am always in there asking for cd's. I have not had a single problem with grainy due to their processing. The only reason I might have seen grainy is because of me not knowing what the hell I am doing half the time..... A friend of mine got all of her negatives from her wedding that I shot put on cd by Walgreens and they were VERY grainy. I guess I lucked out in processing lab in price and quality.

I posted to you on one of the other threads we have been talking at and said my original cd size image was 1544 x 1024 which totals 1,581,056. How many mega pixels is that?

My Website
  #24    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:34 PM
VIP Member
Thats 1.6 mp. If you wanted to go beyond 4x6 you would have to get it scanned higher than that. A 4x6 @ 300dpi is 2.2mp but you can upsize it a bit before it starts to look bad.

You can get away with an 8x10 with 3.2mp but I would prefer more.

You should ask them if you can get 7.2mp scans, for an 8x10 @ 300dpi or output that would be 2400x3000 pixels. They may do it for a slightly larger fee. This way when you do your adjustments you can do more than 4x6 and possibly 5x7.

A digital camera may not last forever, but after a few years you may want a new one anywase due to larger mp, reduced noise, faster buffer, reduced crop factor, and eventually that cool 3d hologram feature that will be offered. :0)

And with the math, this is still cheaper than film.

$1000 for a dslr for 10k = 10 cents each.
$3 for a roll of 24 exposure film to be developed = 12.5 cents each, plus you have to add the cost of film to that.

Then after the 10k pictures of the dslr you can resell it for say $400 and then pick up the next $1000 dslr at a cost of only $600. So then your cost will be 6 cents each for the next 10k, but thats just estimating.

Thats not taking into consideration the film body cost, and they dont last forever either, at least the newer ones. But then your insurrance on the digital may cost more than the film version.
  #25    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
1544 x 1024 which totals 1,581,056. How many mega pixels is that?
1.5? Usually negatives aren't scanned at a very high resolution.
  #26    Top
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:35 AM
P-R-O-crastinator
Quote:
You should ask them if you can get 7.2mp scans, for an 8x10 @ 300dpi or output that would be 2400x3000 pixels. They may do it for a slightly larger fee. This way when you do your adjustments you can do more than 4x6 and possibly 5x7.
Are you saying that a scanned neg at 2400 x 3000 pixels would give me a good blow up of 8 x 10 or is that just for a decent 5 x 7. How high would it need to be for 8 x 10 if that is for 5 x 7?

My Website
  #27    Top
Old March 20th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
If you want an 8inx10in @ 300dpi(dots per inch) you multiply 8*300 to get 2400 and 10*300 to get 3000. You can do the same thing with any other size.

If you have and original that's 2400x3000 and you have to crop then you'll no longer have enough pixels to print an 8x10 @ 300dpi. Some people say you can get away with prining with only 180dpi so you might still be happy if you only cropped a little bit. If you've cropped alot though you could still get a high quality 5x7. I'm pretty sure that's what Gerry was talking about.
  #28    Top
Old March 20th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Where are you getting these scanned at? You can go to a pro-lab and have them do high resolution scans. They're typically 1-3 dollars a scan. But, they're on better cd's and at a higher resolution. My understanding is it will be the same as if you were printing from the negative. Keep in mind though, if you were to do this, your image files are much larger and will need to be resized prior to web posting.
  #29    Top
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM
P-R-O-crastinator
Well, I keep separate folders for web images so I am not worried about that. I have decided to take my originals and as I edit them, I have bumped up the DPI to 300. The image sizes are now like 6000(+) by 4000(+). The files are now about 10-11mb's. Hopefully that should give me good results. There are only a couple that I want at 8 x 10 so most of them at that resolution and size should print 5 x 7 pretty good, shouldn't it? I am just using PS7 and increasing the dpi after I edit and crop what I want. (Will that work for the images I already have?).

My Website
  #30    Top
Old March 20th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Welcome!! I am new to the group as well for the same reasons. Im wanting to go pro overtime. welcome welcome!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions