Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
flash gun or strobes

Hi i recently have been doing some outside portraits and due to the weather have got to do some indoors,do you think i would be best using a flash gun with a diffuser (lightsphere etc) or buying 2 strobes ?.When i say best i mean which would give me best results.I dont really wish to carry strobes to others house;s but if i get the shots then so be it.
Does anyone have any shots to show which have been taken with either strobes or flashguns for me to compare ?
thanks
scott.
  #2    Top
Old June 10th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: garden080621-JJ2E8353
When done right, one shouldn't be able to tell whether the light was from a strobe or flash gun(battery pack system/on camera flash system--I'm guessing that these are what you mean.) There are pros and cons to both systems. a battery pack system is usually more expensive, and bulkier, but almost always offers more power, light modifying accessories for control, and durability. The on camera flash systems are less expensive and easily packed with camera equipment, but usually have less power and lower GN, and have limited modifier choices.

I use a Canon 580EX on and off camera, with and without modifiers(most often a 4'X4' diffusion panel) and it does just fine for most portrait shoots. On some shoots, I wish that I had just a bit more power flexability, but not often enough for me to invest in a battery pack flash system.

Light is light, in this case. You'll be able to achieve same to similar results with either system, with knowledge of capabilities and limitations of the systems and proper use and modification of light.
  #3    Top
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:27 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I use 2 Canon 580's mounted on lightstands, a ST-E2 to trigger them, umbrellas and reflectors in lieu of buying strobes. Nice monolights would be nice, but I don't do enough portraiture to warrant the expense. But having 2 flashes gives me flexibility, portability, and options. I can shoot on camera or off, 1 or 2 flashes, indoors or outdoors, control the lighting ratio, diffuse, reflect, soften, harden, whatever.

Not taking anything away from strobes, as they are quite nice to own, but unless you're doing a lot of work that calls for this type of lighting, flashes will do a lot and more. Moving strobes around for location shots is not nearly as flexible. So, I give up power for flexibility.

If you do a lot of indoor portraiture, studio strobes will pay for themselves. If you do more outdoor portraiture, flashes will likely find their way into your bag more often than will studio lights, power pack, etc.
  #4    Top
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the replys ,what you say makes lots of sense ! i never thought of using 2 flash guns,do you know if you can use the older canon ez flashguns on my 350d(trigger voltage) as they are much cheaper than the newer ex models ?
scott.
  #5    Top
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:47 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I don't think you can use the EZ models on your camera.
  #6    Top
Old June 10th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: garden080621-JJ2E8353
I don't see why you couldn't. The 540EZ does have older TTL technology and I'm uncertain if the TTL metering will even work with the 350d. But I don't fully trust any of the TTL technology, since none of my personal TTL tests resulted in accurate exposure, anyway. If your shooting pace allows for manual flash settings and meter readings, then yes, opt for the less expensive 540EZs. If your shooting is fast paced and you wish to not deal with manual settings, opt for the auto option of the newer EX models.