Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:42 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Web Images and Printing

(Tim, I didn't really know which category this fit into so if you feel the urge to move it go ahead...)

I am going back through ALL of my photo's from when I joined this site back in January. When I first started editing for web and posting images, I didn't know to save the edit in a jpeg format before resizing for web. I do that now and save a jpeg and then reduce the size and save one for web.

My question is: On photo's that I have resized to the standard 640x480, will they still make a good quality 4 x 6 print or should I go back and get the original and try to edit it the same and use that one? My boss is going to print my City Bus picture on 8 X 10 and we did a test 5x7 and it was definitely NOT a good quality image. I have since taken the original and done the minor edits on it and he will be able to print that one now.

I want to get all of my pictures that I have posted or like a lot and get them printed so I can start a hard copy portfolio. I just didn't know if I was just getting 4x6 prints if I could use the one's that I "saved for web" through photoshop or if I should go ahead and use the originals and re-edit them?

Off of this subject....in building a portfolio, should I use all 4x6 shots or should I use a variety based on the quality or what?

My Website
  #2    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Definately go back and get the original, I think.

As for the original...I'd go with different sizes. Makes it a lot more interesting to look at.

Having computer problems? Want to help other people with their computer problems?
JOIN THE SUPPORT FORUM!!!!

Love to Travel? JOIN YOUR TRAVEL FORUM!!
  #3    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:45 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
I'd go with different sizes. Makes it a lot more interesting to look at.
Do you mean like more than one print of the same photo in different sizes or do you mean like using various sizes on different pictures....?

Anyone know where I can get a decent maybe leather bound portfolio for a decent price that won't constrain me as to what sizes I can put in it?

My Website
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 05:46 PM
VIP Member
What I do is save it as a psd when I do changes to the picture, and I usually leave the background layer the same as the original, doing all the adjustments on other layers. By saving it as a psd it doesnt get the compression artifacts and it keeps the layer info. You can do the same with tiff's. I also add to the file name each time the picture has been modified, like -m2005-03-19 to the end if I modified it today. this eats up hd space though. I also keep the original file unaltered. When I remember to, I may even adjust thier properties to read only so they dont accidently get saved over. Ive done this before after resizing.

The benefit of saving it as a psd instead of jpg, then resizing it and saving it for the web as a jpg is your not saving it as a jpg twice, which would have added to the jpg compression artifacts. And just thinking, the camera saves it as a jpg, so its being saved as a jpg two times this way, instead of 3 times. This is a benefit of raw. But since you use film, thats not really a problem. Maybe set the scanner to save it as a tiff or png instead of a jpg.

Then I make a web version, resize it and save it as a jpg. Then if someone wants to order a print, I go to the psd which has the same adjustments as the web version, but hasnt been sized down.

And I just reread your question. I thought you said you saved it as a jpg, then resized it, and then saved it again in the same file for the web.

You cant do much with the smaller files. You can try to enlarge them in 10% increments, and sharpening them a bit now and then, but it wont look as good as the original.

Portfolio's usually have 8x10's or larger sized prints. Using 4x6's just doesnt look right, at least not really professional. But thats my openion.
  #5    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:01 PM
VIP Member
I think www.mypublisher.com offers leather albums, and you can get your portfolio printed like a book, like the new style of wedding albums. I think its around $60us for a normal size but they also offer a smaller size.
  #6    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:30 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Quote:
And I just reread your question. I thought you said you saved it as a jpg, then resized it, and then saved it again in the same file for the web.
I did. I open the original that I save from my picture cd to my computer. Then I open it in photoshop, edit and save as a high resolution jpeg. The image size is about 14x16 at this point allowing me to get a pretty decent print up to that size. Then after I have saved it in the large size as a jpeg, I do the save for web and put it in a "web images" folder. I have three folders per date that I load photo's on the computer. One is for the original, one for jpeg edits and one for web edits.

When you save as a psd document so you can go back and change or edit more with the layers, don't you still have to save it as a jpeg, bmp or tiff so that the photo processor can open the file? I thought you had to have photoshop to be able to open a photoshop file. When I do this, I am going to put all of my large files onto a cd and then take them to the Kodak picture thing and then just get the lab to print them from my cd.

I don't scan my images. I have never had much luck with getting good quality that way. That is what prompted me to start going with the picture cd way. My scanner is in a box somewhere collecting dust....

My Website
  #7    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 06:42 PM
VIP Member
Ya, I dont have luck with scanning either, but thats just beucaose of my equipment. I got a canon scanner that was good for the time, back in 1998 or so. Then a lexmark 3 in 1 printer/scanner. If I was doing b&w work more, I would probably buy a dedicated negative scanner.

Kara had one for a while, so she can probably tell you about it if she ever comes on the forum again. :0)

When I take picture to be printed, I save the psd as a level 12 jpg then. Some may be able to read psd but I dont really know for sure. I think some can read tiff's. Ive also heard of one person printing a tiff and a jpg and the tiff was much sharper, just because of the way the jpg algorithim works.

But if I saved it as a jpg instead of psd, and I wanted to undo a change I made, I wouldnt really be able to do it, so thats an advantage of psd's and layers. Of course my psd's usually range from 30mb to 120mb and thats with a 3.2mp image. I dont want to know what it will be with an 8mp file from the 350d.
  #8    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:04 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Quote:
Of course my psd's usually range from 30mb to 120mb
Good lord. I think my largest file size is like 2.6MB's and that is the file at the size it was given to me on cd after minor editing in PS. It's amazing how much larger a file becomes once you edit it in PS. The image size I noticed on my original cd images is 1544 x 1024 and the file size is 148kb's. That is a pretty good size for reprinting. 4x6 prints from cd are only like 28 cents a piece. Not too shabby when you have about 25 you want to get printed. I just want to have a small hard copy album or something to carry around with me until I get a decent portfolio and then I can get larger prints.

(Next time you and I get on here talking like this, just IM me through MSN..... I think we have dominated like three threads this evening...your fun to talk to though so it's all good....)

My Website
  #9    Top
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:15 PM
VIP Member
Woo hoo, im fun to talk to. :0) Im just waiting for carl to come here and correct stuff that ive said in every other post. *smirks*.

I dont think to many keep the psd's with all the layers, but it was just recommended to me by my ps teachers and I see the point in doing it. And since I have a 60 or 80gb hd, I didnt see a reason not to, at the time. But now that im down to 15gb's free, im starting to get concerned. Ill need to get a dvd-rw and a 200gb hd when ever I get a dslr.

And yup, file sizes go up fast. I have some psd's that have like 30 or so layers, and some enlarged to 8x10 @ 300dpi. I usually duplicate the document with the layers merged, then upsize it and save that as a psd and a jpg for when I print 8x10's. I did an 8x10 with al the layers and between the file size being way to large and taking forever to upsize in 10% increments with all the layers, I just found it easier to merge them.

I think the largest file ive opened has been a 100mb tiff, one layer. It was from a nasa website and was a picture of north america. That thing took forever to open in ps on that desktop.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner