Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Rufous hummingbird
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Cowichan Bay, Vancouver Island

This is a photo I took yesterday of Cowichan Bay with its colourful boats. I also opted to keep a bit of out-of-focus greenery in the foreground. I tried it without but to me it looks better this way. What do you folks think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cowichanbay,reduced.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	50570  

Gail

A camera lets us see past our preconceptions to capture what, for that moment in time, IS.
  #2    Top
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:51 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Does it bother you that the horizon line of the water runs uphill from left to right? With the exception of some artistic leeway, it's one of my pet peeves.

Foreground interest almost always adds a feel for depth perception in a landscape photo. Some people prefer a sharply focused foreground, others find a slight OOF foreground completely acceptable. You be the judge of what works best for you. I prefer that if I'm going to include foreground info, that I use an aperture that keeps it in focus if possible, otherwise I'll tend to leave it out of the frame.

I believe the WB leaves the image a bit on the cool side (too blue) and could benefit from adding some warmth to it.

The way you have an open space of water to the left and the boats on the right cut off leaves me wondering if perhaps you may have been able to shift your position a bit to avoid that...sometimes it's just not possible.
  #3    Top
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Thanks, Ohenry; those are good points. there was an ugly boat on the right that I wanted to cut out, but I'll trim the water on the left to compensate. I'll also even the horizon and see what I can do about adding warmth.

Your comments always help me see the photos I submit in a better way, so I can improve on them. Many thanks for that; it's hugely helpful to me.

Gail

A camera lets us see past our preconceptions to capture what, for that moment in time, IS.
  #4    Top
Old June 23rd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Premiere Member
I've made the changes you suggested, Ohenry, and I think it looks a lot better.

I sure appreciate your input; it helps a great deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cowichanbay,reduced.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	50573  

Gail

#5    Top
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: My Blood!
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Yeah, the second one is good.

#6    Top
Old June 26th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Premiere Member
Thanks, Nishanthpaul.

Gail

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places