Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM
United in arms

These are two of my shots of workers in India.

They were erecting an electric transformer at a place, where the lever in the photographs has to be pulled hard back and forth to rotate a wheel, which in turn moves a 36-ton giant.

I intentionally wanted to portray the combined strength, muscular effort and physical labor involved in the process rather than catching tired faces.

Please comment and criticize thoroughly :

#2    Top
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Seeing Beyond Seeing
Recent Photo: DSC_83631pc
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayambhu View Post

I intentionally wanted to portray the combined strength, muscular effort and physical labor involved in the process rather than catching tired faces.

WOW, absolutely love the movement you have captured in the second shot, impressive, and in the first shot you certainly did portray the combined strength of the men, excellent work!

susanhernandezphotography
  #3    Top
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:37 AM
thanks susan

btw, the 'hands' reminded me of your avatar while I was on the spot !
  #4    Top
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Silent Screamer
Recent Photo: Mr. Confused
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
The blur is so effective used in this way, all the motion and the double images of the hands is pretty amazing. Great subjects and have an urgency about them.

EVERYTHING LOOKS PERFECT FROM FAR AWAY
  #5    Top
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Destiny
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
I'd have to agree with the above. Both shots are excellent. Love the movement captured as well as the tones and conversion. Very well done.

follow me on Facebook & twitter
  #6    Top
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
That second shot is excellent in how it portrays their movement and hard work.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
  #7    Top
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:55 PM
1-der-full
50 mm 1.8
18-55 canon
70-300 sigma
18-125 sigma macro
filters
flash bracket
lightsphere
sigma 500
wireless remote

A PICTURE IS SOMETHING YOU DRAW, A PHOTOGRAPH IS SOMETHING YOU CREATE.
  #8    Top
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Relic in Midair
I love the 2nd one especially--the symbolism of the hands being still and all the rest of them in motion, showing the unity of focused effort produced by individual exertion. Excellent--this one is an object lesson waiting to happen!

Shaunie

My website: Friday Dreaming
My blog: Up the Sunbeam
  #9    Top
Old July 13th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Dear terri, faisal, dan, southernman ( sorry, dont know your name yet ) & shaunie,

thanks so much individually for your feedback.

terri & shaunie : yes, I wanted the blur to create exactly this image (the 2nd shot). minutely panned the hands in their direction of motion with manual focus at 1/2" exposure. I was shooting under very bad light & my f/1.4D lens is a 55mm monster which crops most of the elements out of the frame, so had to make it work out at f/3.5.

faisal : thanks a lot man

dan : ya they work real hard. and you know, there's one of them who stands out of the crowd and gives lead singing a traditional song - the others working would sing after him; that livens up the working spirit. wish I could paint the sounds and smells and feelings of the surroundings in the photograph...

southernman : '2' kind of you - thank you

turbo
  #10    Top
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayambhu
wish I could paint the sounds and smells and feelings of the surroundings in the photograph...[/font]
I think you did succeed at doing this as well. I can hear them singing right now thanks to your excellent photograph !!!

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places