Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 16th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Elite VIP Member
Recent Photo: Holy Trinity Church
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Careful with that!!

A close up of the Captain Cook statue.

#2    Top
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:02 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Pigeon deposits aside, I like the take you did on this...focusing on the tool of trade that Capt Cook would use rather than focusing on the whole.

Bonus points for anyone that was not in the Navy that knows what the name of the tool is or what it is used for
  #3    Top
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM
The Godfather
Recent Photo: Some shots from 2010
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
looks like a compass and used to plot map coordinates

Leica M8, Nikon D200, Kodak DCS Pro14n, Olympus E20n, Leica R8, Leica M3, Bessa T101 w/50mm Heliar, Kodak 260,
  #4    Top
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I like the way you've taken just a small portion of this statue, good job.

And, it's a compass/divider... don't think it has a more "technical" name..
  #5    Top
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Elite VIP Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Thanks ohenry, Patman10 and muffins^
I would have to go with it being a compass and that it is used for plotting distance and course on a map (I think)
Nige
  #7    Top
Old October 16th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: flood crest
I've always thought it was called a divider. I use one in leatherwork but on a map you divide the plotted course to estimate how long to traverse the line. or no?

love the patina on the statue!

No matter where you go, there you are.
  #8    Top
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: DSC_0098
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Lovely composition on this. I like that you focused on just a part of the statue. Well Done Nige!

A dream becomes a goal when action is taken toward its achievement. Bo Bennett
---------------------

Yep, this is my Smug!
  #9    Top
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Cranes before sunrise
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
interesting composition and the focusing is very good. I like the colors of the copper's patina and even of the pigeons deposit...

Well done
  #10    Top
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Elite VIP Member
Thanks Grif, Barb, Jenn and Zaplig. The statue as a whole is impressive, but I thought I would post this image as I thougth it was a little different and would be more interesting.
Nige