Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Polarizer gradient?

Is the left to right gradient I see here being caused by the polarizer? The sun was about 45 degrees to the right of the camera and this was taken at 18mm(24mm equivalent). I'm thinking that because the sky on the left was at about 90 degrees from the sun the polarizer had the maximum effect on it and the effect tapered down as the angle to the sun diminished. Does this sound right?

I'm also not happy with the composition. I have ideas on how I'd like to change it, but I'd like to hear other suggestions as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_4322_med.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	3267  
  #2    Top
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:26 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Yes, that effect happens a lot with wide angle lenses.

Without seeing more of the scene, it's difficult to make suggestions on how to change the composition, but I think a slightly different angle so that the bare tree to the left was off line from the land mass in the distance might help. Or a lower angle. I really like the reeds in the water and would try to capture them close and in sharp focus with the backround also in sharp focus (hyperfocal effect).
  #3    Top
Old April 5th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Nikon 4 Life
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
hopefully its not a graduated polorizer.. j/k
Dont know why this happened.
Quote:
Yes, that effect happens a lot with wide angle lenses
But why?
Nikkor 300mm f4
1.4 TC
  #4    Top
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:09 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Because the large area of coverage of the wide angle lens exceeds the effective area of coverage of the polarizer. Normally when the lighting is coming from a lower angle and the expanse is across the horizon.
  #5    Top
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I like the reeds too Carl. I'll give that hyperfocal effect a try the next time I go to that spot.
  #6    Top
Old April 6th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Nikon 4 Life
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
How do you do hyperfocal effect? never heard of it?
Thanks
Nikkor 300mm f4
1.4 TC
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things