Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > The Corner Blog

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: What should we do about the same people winning contests over and over?
Keep it the way it is 50 64.94%
Impose a 3 contest "timeout" for contest winners 11 14.29%
Do a "Non-Winners-Only" contest every 6 contests 9 11.69%
Other (clarify in comments below) 7 9.09%
You may not vote on this poll

#11    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: untitled-41
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I completely agree with keeping it the same. Would you feel better about winning a game of Scrabble with a 6 year old or winning a game against someone who usually beats you? I think it really is true that 'you're only as good as your competition' If your competition isn't a challenge then you don't try as hard. I'm ecstatic if I get one vote in a Corner Challenge and it's because I know the competition is tough. It would be really cool to have a medal by my name but I want to really earn it (Hope that made sense...only 1/2 way thru my coffee!)

Canon 60D

"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just convincing you that I'm right"
  #12    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Premiere Jerk
Recent Photo: Ripple Path
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
This could be interesting. What’s a contest when you are elimating the members who other members strive to beat? But, if members keep getting beat by the same members, what fun is that? They will get discourage and abandon the contest or even the site.

One way could be put a limit of wins per year for CCC and/or POTM. Then at the end of the year, all the winners go against each other for the grand title (prize).
  #13    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJerk View Post
This could be interesting. What’s a contest when you are elimating the members who other members strive to beat? But, if members keep getting beat by the same members, what fun is that? They will get discourage and abandon the contest or even the site.

One way could be put a limit of wins per year for CCC and/or POTM. Then at the end of the year, all the winners go against each other for the grand title (prize).
I think the people that are here to really learn and contribute to the site will continue to enter the contests and try even harder instead of getting discouraged. If you get discouraged that easily you probably don't really want it that bad (Hope I didn't offend anyone, but that's how I feel about it) I think there are many of us here who have learned a great deal from seeing what kinds of photos win and what others find most appealing. There are probably some people who only enter for the prizes but I think many of us here use it as a learning experience and if we happen to win that makes it even sweeter

Either way, I'll continue to support the Corner.

Canon 60D

#14    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
oh oh...

.....................................running and hiding in my corner. Lemme know how this goes.
Visit me here..Room57
  #15    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
come on out of the corner Carl, you know we all love you......and if I ever win I want to beat YOU!! I look forward to your entries.

Dan had some very good ideas.
  #16    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscon View Post
come on out of the corner Carl, you know we all love you......and if I ever win I want to beat YOU!! I look forward to your entries.

Dan had some very good ideas.
I second that! Votings not over yet but so far looks like your safe Carl Shame on you for being so good (insert sarcasm here)

Canon 60D

#17    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: First-day-of-school
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlove View Post
I really think we should keep it the way it is! It seems a bit silly and childish to shut someone out just because they win more than one time. Personally, seeing high quality wins keeps me challenged, inspired and thriving to produce better images myself, no matter who won. Keeping the selections anonymous while voting is the fairest and smartest solution, imho.

I couldn't agree more with this comment!
  #18    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Rufous hummingbird
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
The best of the best sets the standards the rest of us can aspire towards. Even if we never make it, we're far more likely to improve than if that 'bar' isn't there for us to try to surpass.

Secondly, I don't believe 'thinking outside the box' and very high quality should be, in essence, reined in; it should be celebrated, as it has been here.

If the Spicoli's of the photography world can keep winning because his is the best and the rest of us who votes, votes for his because it's the best, then all I can say is "hurray!". And when someone else wins, it makes it a REAL win, not a half-win because the best were kept out to give the rest a chance. Remember, that's what happened with the Bluenose, and you know how all Canadians feel about that!

Anyway, that's my stand on this, and of course I voted accordingly.

Gail

A camera lets us see past our preconceptions to capture what, for that moment in time, IS.
  #19    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Under no circumstances should anything be changed.

I'd love to win a CCC or POTM (or maybe even the PotY - holding my breath, keeping all fingers, toes and eyes crossed), and although I know that I don't stand a chance at winning any of them (at this moment in time anyway), I wouldn't want to eventually win one knowing that one or more of the (in my eyes) best photographers were not allowed to enter.

If you win (once, twice, or twenty times) you obviously deserve to win, due to having posted the best shot.

That's the way it should stay!
Sponsors
  #20    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Southern Exposure
Recent Photo: Still Life
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Contest Winners

You need to keep it the way it is. A winning photo is a winning photo. I vote on what I like, if it's the same person repeatedly, then so be it.
While there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see. ~Dorothea Lange
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > The Corner Blog