Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > The Corner Blog

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: What should we do about the same people winning contests over and over?
Keep it the way it is 50 64.94%
Impose a 3 contest "timeout" for contest winners 11 14.29%
Do a "Non-Winners-Only" contest every 6 contests 9 11.69%
Other (clarify in comments below) 7 9.09%
You may not vote on this poll

#21    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Recent Photo: treasure hunt
the beautiful thing about the CCC's is that they are voted on by the comunity. There's no favouratism of a few members focussed on Spicoli, he keeps winning because his photos are the best, as judged by US! So let him keep winning. Someone will catch him. He's not perfect, and any one of the rest of us is capable of beating him in any given month. Why hold the man back? And why take away how proud any one of us would be to beat him in any given contest. I wouldn't be as proud of a win if Spicoli wasn't allowed to submit a pic for that contest. Leave things the way they are.

-Adrian
Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L IS
Canon 50mm F/1.8 II
Canon 580EX II flash
Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod
Manfrotto 808RC4 head and 490RC4 ball head

Working at HENRY'S
My site: Whirlwindphotography
  #22    Top
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Mallets
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I agree with everyone on this post! I think it would be best for everyone to keep it the way it is. I strive to get more votes than the last contest so I enter to compete with my self and if I win, which I haven't yet, that is great. We don't know who took the pic when we vote so how do we know we are voting for the same person? I think it should still be open to all but I like the idea of having a "winners" contest. Just more challenges for us all to partake in and hone our skills. That is the point of competition isn't it?
  #23    Top
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Junior VIP Member
Er... lol. There is no reason why you shouldn't keep it as it is.

When a music artist keeps getting to number one in the charts, no-one has a problem with that. Or when the same athlete keeps winning all the races, no-one has a problem with that either.

Why should anyone have a problem with the same people winning photography contests? Fair is fair.
  #24    Top
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Old Fogey
Recent Photo: Stormy Pasture
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
In no way should it be changed! I look to Carl as my finish line, he is my goal to win! If I was to win a contest and Carl was not involved, I would feel "cheated". If.....nay....WHEN I beat Carl, I will enjoy the accomplishment more than any prize. And I will video tape my "victory" dance and put it on youtube!

H.W.Rife

Just some old "Nikon" stuff!

There are no stupid questions....only stupid assumptions.

He who dies with the most "Toys"...wins!
  #25    Top
Old January 16th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: First-day-of-school
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRife View Post
If.....nay....WHEN I beat Carl, I will enjoy the accomplishment more than any prize. And I will video tape my "victory" dance and put it on youtube!
LMAO!!!
  #26    Top
Old January 16th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Old Fogey
Recent Photo: Stormy Pasture
By the way......tho I like rattlin' Carl's cage ....there are MANY very fine photographers on the Corner. Any of which I would totally enjoy "beatin' the pants off of" in a contest!!!!

H.W.Rife

Just some old "Nikon" stuff!

There are no stupid questions....only stupid assumptions.

He who dies with the most "Toys"...wins!
  #27    Top
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Silent Waters
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
We vote for the CCC's for example ourselves and not only that, it is an anonymous vote, nobody knows who submitted the photo
  #28    Top
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Junior VIP Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I can understand both sides of this.

I definately feel very challenged with CCC's - not always because the subject itself is challenging, but rather I know that the other submissions will be very high quality.

At this point, it may not be something "feasable", however, perhaps later on, there might be CCC's that are different "levels".....like:
Easy
Medium
Hard

How do you define who gets to enter which level? Well, I have two ideas on that - when a person signs up first one of the questions can be "At what level of photography would you place yourself?" (or similar)....or you must win "X" number of contests before you can get "promoted" to entering the next level....

just some thoughts. I am sure that this would be a fairly massive undertaking for Tim.

I understand the concept of not wanting to win a scrabble game against the 6 year old, however, think back to when you first started in photography......would you have submitted your shots to national geographic or Hallmark?
Personally, I like the challenge, but there may be some that feel they cannot possibly compete against the quality images that we get in each CCC. (again, I don't know, maybe it is just the opposite).

my ramblings are nothing more than my own humble opinions!

Thanks to everyone for challenging me!
  #29    Top
Old January 16th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I think this suggestion is a very smart and well thought out one, possibly the best so far. But can it be done? Maybe if Tim recruited more help on the site, something like this would be easier to handle?? Anyhow, if it doesn't happen, I am content with the way things are now - I am, in all actuality, only in competition with myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm482 View Post
At this point, it may not be something "feasable", however, perhaps later on, there might be CCC's that are different "levels".....like:
Easy
Medium
Hard

How do you define who gets to enter which level? Well, I have two ideas on that - when a person signs up first one of the questions can be "At what level of photography would you place yourself?" (or similar)....or you must win "X" number of contests before you can get "promoted" to entering the next level....

just some thoughts. I am sure that this would be a fairly massive undertaking for Tim.

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #30    Top
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:18 PM
The Corner Creator
Yeah, that is something we can address down the road, but it would be WAY too big an undertaking for me. When we start seeing 50+ to 100+ entries for each contest, then it may be time to split them up, or do them more often. Honestly, we're still a ways off of that. Ideally, the revenue from the site will grow along with the membership, etc, so it may be doable down the road, but not currently. So, if you want something like this, let's get the membership up to 50,000.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > The Corner Blog