Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > The Corner Blog

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: What should we do about the same people winning contests over and over?
Keep it the way it is 50 64.94%
Impose a 3 contest "timeout" for contest winners 11 14.29%
Do a "Non-Winners-Only" contest every 6 contests 9 11.69%
Other (clarify in comments below) 7 9.09%
You may not vote on this poll

#51    Top
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker View Post
Hmmm... well, I like the idea, but honestly, I think that would have too much going on at once, you know? With too many contests, they all kinda get lost in the shuffle... know what I mean?
I understand what you're saying about the logisitics and maybe making a change wouldn't be easy. But here are some additional considerations:
  • there are over 11000 members (I think that's the number I read) and yet the CCC for example, is entered by a very small number of participants
  • perhaps the number of CCC contests could be reduced to accomodate some of the voting and tallying periods for the category winners (thereby involving more members as participants/nominees/winners)
  • a relatively small number of pics get nominated for PotM; having feedback category winners might be a way to get pics from all the postings more noticed as potential winners
  • the PotY could be won by a picture that hasn't been posted in the forum except as a contest entry; whereas maybe the PotY should be awarded to a pic that was posted somewhere in the Corner at some time during the year it's being awarded for ( like with the PotM )
  • the idea of having feedback category winners and perhaps even the Premier Project winners as the entry point into the contests might get a broader range of photographers and styles into the running for some of the awards
Anyway - these are just some additional points for discussion/consideration. As someone who just joined the Corner in the fall of last year, I have been quite happy with my activity and involvement here. I have participated in and love the CCC and the Premiere projects. Why - I've even gotten a couple of PotM nominations which have warmed my heart and boosted my confidence. So, I'm quite happy with things as they stand - but it does seem that if we could somehow work out a way to get more members recognized for their photography that this could only benefit the Corner community.

And by the way, Tim - I think that it's terrific that you've opened up this discussion to the membership. In the short time that I've been here, I'd say that this is one of the best run sites of this kind that I've seen. Kudos to you again for all the work that you do here!

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #52    Top
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I think the best photo in the contest should win. No HANDICAPS in photography. I know it will be a long time before I ever win a contest, but if it was that easy everybody would be doing it right? The people that win are the most experienced, either they do it for a living or they just have a natural gift. Whichever one it is, if they enter an award winning photo into a contest, they should be able to win even if they have multiple previous wins. I do have an idea, dont know how well it will work or how it will be decided. Maybe a contest such as skill levels, we all know pretty much the skill levels of most of the photographers here in the corner. Maybe Tim decide on an idea or everybody here can vote. Either or, it dont matter to me. I am extremely happy to be part of the corner! Thanks
  #53    Top
Old January 20th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Premiere Member
As a relative neophyte--both on the forum and as a photographer--I personally don't have any issue with the best picture winning, regardless of who enters it. I mean, how can you NOT say that Spicoli and the others with multiple wins DON'T deserve it? Their pictures are GREAT and what I could only DREAM of being able to take.

My request again, as a newbie, would be more explanation and discussion ABOUT the winning photo. What settings were used? Why were those versus another set used? Was there post-processing? If so, what and HOW? I personally would like hear more along these lines once any particular photo has won. Maybe if a few of us rookies could SEE the hows & whys, we might be able to pose more of a challenge!
  #54    Top
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:54 AM
If I enter and I win, I want it to be because I deserved it, not b/c people weren't permitted to enter. If my photo wins, it will be b/c for that contest, against the best, it was good enough.
  #55    Top
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Keeper of the Camera
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
My humble opinion is to keep things as they are. I remember my first contest post..., I look back and see how much I have improved today. I still am striving for better and people like Carl inspire me to do my best.

I also recall that after several wins, Carl donated his prize to the runner up. It's not always about the prize. And a very thoughtful thing to do.

On that note...Carl, when are you going to Mentor me? Because I, one day, would like to beat you too!
  #56    Top
Old January 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Collou France sunset
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
I have just joined this forum and the reason is because when I looked at the winners of some of these contests I thought to myself, “my god these guys know what they are doing” and that I could learn so much even watching them win as well as asking them how they did it. Take away the heavy hitters in baseball and who would watch the game.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > The Corner Blog