Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Day Lily and Ant
Heading Home

Heading home after another great beach day.

Will it ever be summer again? I love this photo and all it tells, but I worry about the brightness of the grandmother's legs and what appears to be a bit of blown out detail in the boys towel. Feedback?
  #2    Top
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
I like it. Think it would have been better however if you had gotten lower.
  #3    Top
Old February 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Fun photo! I'm a bit torn on the composition. I like the foreground detail in the water as you composed it, but I think this would also be a good one for the old rule of thirds. I really do like the story this tells.

The word photo is derived from the Greek word for light. Graph means to draw. Photography literally means, "Drawing with Light"
  #4    Top
Old February 12th, 2008, 10:56 PM
Junior VIP Member
Thank you for your comments, valid points. I was going to try cropping it in different ways, but I was loath to loose the detail in the water. I guess I should have cut out some of that magnificent blue sky, for it wasn't furthering the story. As for getting lower, Zheng, you are correct there too. I often lay on a boogie board, half in the water, and shoot whatever happens to be around me. I love a lot of the shots, but can't post recognizable features.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
  #5    Top
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Junior VIP Member
Ack. I remember dithering over cropping this. I wanted all the water, I love the wave action of the stream emptying into the lake here. I also wanted that pink donut thing in the distance to continue the line of pink. BUT, indulging in things I love doesn't necessarily tell the story, so, I cropped it a bit.. twice. Feel free to crop it too. The darn photo makes me smile. I love that time of day at the beach. (All the tourists go back to their hotel rooms! )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DuckLakeIdyl-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	60296  Click image for larger version

Name:	DuckLakeIdyl-2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	60297  
  #6    Top
Old February 13th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
I think I like the first of these two crops. Their distance shows that they're headed out. Just my opinion.

The word photo is derived from the Greek word for light. Graph means to draw. Photography literally means, "Drawing with Light"
  #7    Top
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Junior VIP Member
You are right, jrgold. There's a lesson in here for me, ,somewhere: STICK TO THE STORY. Like editing a movie, in order to further the story line, some of my best scenes may 'end up on the floor'. *Sigh* Farewell, pink donut shaped thingie. Thanks for looking and for the feedback.
  #8    Top
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: untitled-41
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Well, it may not follow the rule of thirds but I think the first shot is my favorite (Rules were meant to be broken anyway ) I can see why you wanted to keep all the water in the picture you captured the movement very well. You also did a great job caturing the story here. I imagine they had a great day at the beach

Canon 60D

"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just convincing you that I'm right"
  #9    Top
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Junior VIP Member
Yay, Pixsee!!! I'll bet you love water almost as much as I do. This thread has me dreaming of summer, and then I remembered the attached photo below. These were both shot.. FROM THE SAME SPOT WHERE THE STREAM MEETS THE LAKE!!! In my opinion, any day at the beach is a great day at the beach. Amazing contrast, no??

Actually, I should have put both Heading Home and this Moonscape on the same thread and called it Seasonal Study.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Same Spot as Heading Home!.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	60318  
  #10    Top
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: untitled-41
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Wow! That is some contrast! You're absolutely correct, I do love water. I've always preferred the beach to the mountains. Of course you can always go up the
northern coast of California and get a little of the mountains to go with your beach

Canon 60D

"I'm not arguing with you, I'm just convincing you that I'm right"
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places