Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > The Marketplace > Business of Photography

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: Photography: Business or Pleasure (or Both)?
Business 8 3.72%
Pleasure (Hobby) 59 27.44%
Both (Business & Pleasure) 148 68.84%
You may not vote on this poll

#1    Top
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:14 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
The Business of Photography

Photography. A hobby for some, a way of life for others. How many people view photography just as a job and a business and how many treat photography as purely a hobby? Thirdly, how many people view photography as both a hobby and as a means of income (not neccessarily full time, however)?

Cast a vote and tell us about how photography relates to you.
  #2    Top
Old April 16th, 2004, 12:29 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Well, I guess I should answer my own question here... Personally, I've always loved photography... not just taking pictures, but just an interest in photography in general. I currently own my own business (in addition to running this forum!), that is related to photography. I don't take pictures, but rather have people send me pictures, I clean them up, and then create a video montage out of them. So I still get to work with photography, but I'm not actually taking the pictures. The best of both worlds, I think. I get to play with pictures and have it has my job as well.
  #3    Top
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Premiere Member
Well, I'm still just learning, so there's no way that I could make money off my pictures yet... That would be nice, though, to one day maybe be able to sell them, or even just to see some pictures on someone's wall!
  #4    Top
Old April 18th, 2004, 11:31 PM
The Corner Creator
All it takes is practice... I know it's a cliché, but practice makes perfect. You're always hardest on yourself, too... Just keep working at it, and if you want to, you'll be able to persue a career in photography.
  #5    Top
Old April 29th, 2004, 04:05 PM
I do it because I love it. I don't know if I'll be able to turn it into a money maker, but I'm working in that direction.
  #6    Top
Old June 14th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I also hope to make money at photography one day, I started strictly for hobby, but enjoy it enough to hope to do it for a little income to, that's what they say, find something you love, and do it for a living! I've got a ways to go, I'm also still learning, but that is in the plans.
I've thought about going out to tournaments, events etc, and taking random shots and setting something up so that the people can see them after(the same day) and can purchase any they want. I wonder though about legal issues of taking photos of people without their knowledge. Does anyone know what the regulations are regarding this?
  #7    Top
Old June 14th, 2004, 04:55 PM
The Corner Creator
That's a good idea... probably you would have to work out some sort of deal ahead of time with the league... I've done something similar in the past, but with video. We used to videotape skating competitions, horse shows, etc., then the next day, people would be able to buy copies of their specific performance, or the proformances from the whole day... beforehand, we would always get permission from the event organizers... and frequently, they would request us to come... it can make some pretty good $...
  #8    Top
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:28 PM
Junior VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Since I took up my first SLR camera in the early 80's, I thought wouldn't it be great to be a pro photographer, a bit like a chef in a 5 Star restaurant, all the glamour, no pressure lots of cash!

Well some 25 years later I have been using cameras in my business (not a photography business) and I have come to respect pro photography, it’s just as hard a slog as other jobs. However photography has a creative side to it, and if you can combine both that’s what make it appealing.

I intend pursuing this commercially since retiring from engineering, I am off to a good start with my old clients who seem to like my work and are willing to pay for it.
  #9    Top
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:38 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Wow...a lot of people making money off their photos (13/20) in here.

I do it just for the thrill of it
  #10    Top
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:43 PM
Junior VIP Member
I do it as a love of photography and I've been fortunate to also make it a profession. Nothing like doing what you want to do instead of just working.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > The Marketplace > Business of Photography