Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
So where is all the activity?

I've been away from the Corner for awhile...I don't really remember the details of why I wondered away although I don't think it was the usual idiots, egos and people who think rude and harsh critiques are the only way for newbies to learn, that caused it. So during the time that Iím not really coming around, I'm still getting the newsletters from Tim. Nice newsletters, lots of enthusiasm, great descriptions of all the things happening around the Corner. Iím feeling like maybe Iím really missing out on something here. But one thing or another, real life, being active on other forums dealing with the idiots, egos and people who think rude and harsh critiques are the only kind to give, work, and a half dozen other things going on and I never actually make it back other than a time or two.

So I get another one of Timís newsletters. Lots of enthusiasm, great descriptions of all the things happening around the Corner, lots of contests, people getting rich (well, maybe not rich ) from their winsÖ all kinds of things that make me feel like I must really be missing out over here. Well, it seems the idiots are on vacation, the egos have been packed away, and Iíve taught all the teachable people who think rude and harsh critiques are the only kind to give, that there is a better, softer, more gentle way to give critiques and still get their point acrossÖ So I decide to wonder back over and spend some time at the Corner. I post a few comments, put up a couple of images, look around, check out the gallery, etc., etc., etc. So I get a couple of responses, a couple of comments on my images and thenÖ nothing.
Hmm, ok, so my images arenít among the mainstream of what people like to see. I can live with that. After all, thatís why there are so many forums around. People have different tastes. No problem, it doesnít hurt my feelings. So I give it a few more days. Hmm, still nothing. So I decided to take a closer look at the Corner. While I must admit, I didnít go into every closet, pantry, nook and cranny, none of the womenís restrooms and only down to the second basement levelÖ it dawns on me that a most of the areas have posts on the front pages of the different areas that are days and weeks old. In the few areas that have current posts, there are only a few. So I check a bit further. I find that the candy in the candy machine is stale and the soda has gone flat. I am relieved to find that the Twinkies are still good thoughÖ so I eat a couple and wash it down with some flat Sprite while I think about this. And think. By my 4th Twinkie I think Iíve figured it out. 2007 was such a great year, with all the sponsors and contests and everyone having such a great time, that Tim decided to take everyone with him on vacation to some nice warm place down South to shoot. He left a few robots to post every once in awhile, pasted up some names in the Current Active Users area on the main page so the place looks lived in, loaded everyone up and head out for fun in the sun. What a guy that Tim. If only Iíd been around more I too could have been on the plane as with everyone else. You can bet Iím going to be here at the end of 2008 so I donít miss out. Nope, Iíll start hanging around just after Thanksgiving, just to be sure I donít miss out again.
After the 6th Twinkie I wasnít feeling so well (must have been the flat Sprite), so I wonder off to find some Alka Selser before I go check on the status of the idiots, egos and those that think rude and harsh critiques are the only kind to give others, over at the othe forums.
Mike

#2    Top
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
The Godfather
Recent Photo: Some shots from 2010
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Mike I read your post and have no idea of what you are talking about. Where is your discontent coming from? Were you looking for a fight, a nasty comment or praise? What ever! have fun!!!

Leica M8, Nikon D200, Kodak DCS Pro14n, Olympus E20n, Leica R8, Leica M3, Bessa T101 w/50mm Heliar, Kodak 260,
  #3    Top
Old February 19th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Well, I guess besides there not being all that much posting going on, there's also very little humor left on here as well. Or maybe you really don't have any idea. There was no dicontent, no looking for a fight, praise or anything like that intended. But I guess you did answer my question in a way. Your reaction is the clue I was looking for as to why there is very little posting on here. Oh well.

Mike
  #4    Top
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Mike , it is not just on the Corner. I have found the corner one of the friendliest forums on the net. Right now, I have noticed all the forums are slow. Maybe it is just that time of year. Im on many different forum, some not photography related, and it seems slow everywhere.
There will be egos and idiots all over the internet, and luckily here at the corner, we dont have them. Like you said...sometimes real life takes over and this could just be a downtime. Im still finding the humor here. Like Pat said...just have fun man. Everyday life is too serious.
Visit me here..Room57
  #5    Top
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Mike - I really enjoyed reading your clever and humourous original post!
I've been a member here since Oct 2007 and I'm happy to say that my experience here has been great. Sure there are days when things are slow and it seems like very little new posting is going on. But I rarely browse through the forums without getting some inspiration or without being wowed by someone's great photo. Most of the critiques that I've received have been very helpful and I honestly feel that I am a better photographer (and critic) as a result of being on this site.

I think you should persevere in your return... hang around a little more... post a few more pics... critique others' posts with your unique sense of view. Looking forward to seeing you around the corner.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #6    Top
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
We could always get a clever Alaskan friend of yours to help liven things up for you, if you wish
  #7    Top
Old February 19th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Mike, just a little friendly advice for you - in life you'll generally get out out things what you put into them.

This is a community. We all participate in varying degrees. Some more than others. I realize there are some here that are more takers than givers but the opposite could also be said for just as many people IMO. In the end things tend to balance out.

If you don't like what you see around here I'd say do your best to change it for the better. I don't think anyone will mind as long as your not one of those rude type people you've mentioned. A case comes to mind right now. One of our members thought it would be nice to do a "quote of the day" and has kept it up for some time now. I think it's a great idea and it is really nice addition to our community. Nobody makes him do it. He just thought it would be a fun way to espouse some wisdom upon us. That to me is one reason that makes this community so nice.

So like I said do your bit - whatever you think is appropriate to make this a better place and I think you will get back much more than you invest.

Oh - one last piece of advice... I'd layoff the Twinkies if I were you

Have a great night.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
Sponsors
  #8    Top
Old February 20th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Elite Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
We could always get a clever Alaskan friend of yours to help liven things up for you, if you wish
I don't think the place would survive the excitement that that would cause, if you did OHenry. But it sure would gaurentee a lot of posts.

Mario, thanks. I actually have a number of images I've posted, although only a few in the last week.

Dan, I'm no newbie to the world of forums. Nor to photography for that matter. Most forums that I've particpated in, I usually put into them a lot more than many. I didn't say I didn't like what I saw, but I was questioning where was all the posts that the numbers indicate there should be on here. And as for changing anything (if it's even needed), one thing I have learned over the years though... even as hard as I try sometimes, even I have trouble changing a place by myself. Especially if the status quo is happy the way it is. Although I can be blunt and I can be very opinionated about some things, I try never to be rude. And as I indicated in my first post, I feel that it's never appropriate to give rude and harsh critiques to people, even if they ask for it... well, except maybe for one Alaskan guy that OHenry aluded to. But that's another story. As for the Twinkies, I'd hate to give them up. They are in a food group all their own. And the only thing I know that will probably still be edible long after Man is gone.

Spicoli, I agree, sometimes life is to serious. And most of us have way more of that than we need.

Mike
  #9    Top
Old February 20th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I have to ask:

"Twinkies?"

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #10    Top
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Elite Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof42 View Post
I have to ask:

"Twinkies?"

Andy
Andy, Twinkies are yellow cake snacks filled with vanalla cream (I understand they have brought back the original bannana cream, but I've not seen one yet) that were first made in 1930. They have a lot of excellent properties to them, including a long shelf life. It's rumored that some of the first batch made in 1930 can still be found on market shelfs and in vending machines. Of course the baker, Hostes, denies these rumors and say a Twinkie only stays fresh for 25 days. During the early Cold period when everyone had a bomb shelter, Twinkies were one of the most stocked items because of their long shelf life.
Mike