Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Elite Member
portrait background

i've taken some portrait shots which i like but i don't like the background cause they were taken in my bedroon.on the other hand i wouldn't like to blacken or whiten it cause it wouldn't look physical.any ideas??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xristos86/page1/
  #2    Top
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Image_04502
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
well, what dont you like about the pics? post an example and say what it is you dont like and it would be easier to help
  #3    Top
Old February 20th, 2008, 10:28 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
There are ways to deal with this, not only post editing, but before you ever take the shot. It is critical that you consider the background every time you take a picture. Since you've already taken the shots, you can isolate your subject and use masks to either darken the background to some degree so that it's minimized, or you could use a gaussian blur technique to simulate shallow depth of field. Other options are to completely replace the background with something more pleasing.

Of course, had you done this before hand...well, you know
  #4    Top
Old February 21st, 2008, 08:05 AM
Elite Member

this is na example.the first thing i did was blur the background.i also tried some masks ti darken it but it loog unnatural.next time i'll try to direct it a little!though i seem to get used to it and it doesn't look so bad to me

#5    Top
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:42 PM
Premiere Member
Well for future shots and for a few dollars you can buy a background support and a muslin backdrop or two and be well on the way to producing portraits that you will like.

Or you could simply shoot with a nice fast aperture through a longish lens to produce a shallow DOF which would remove the distracting background elements by blurring them beyond recognition.
  #6    Top
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Elite Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshow View Post
Well for future shots and for a few dollars you can buy a background support and a muslin backdrop or two and be well on the way to producing portraits that you will like.

Or you could simply shoot with a nice fast aperture through a longish lens to produce a shallow DOF which would remove the distracting background elements by blurring them beyond recognition.

thanks photoshow.i don't think i'm going to buy anything like this though soon.maybe never to be honest.what i asked was if anyone had an idea waht to do woth pic i've taklen and simply don't like the background.the first thing i did was blur it and darken it.any good advice?

#7    Top
Old February 24th, 2008, 04:20 PM
What I do when I really hate a bg is get rid of it. I lasso my subject using the polygonal lasso tool, copy/paste the new one on top of the old one. If you turn off the bottom layer you will see your subject sitting in a trasparent bg. I never do damage to the original by cutting out the subject.

Choose an appropriate bg and remember size is everything here. If you have a high res image and a low res bg you need to blow up to match the original, it just won't work.

After the new bg is in place, you need to fix the raw edges on the original subject. What I normally do is use the blur tool at about 50% or lower and carefully run around the edges. Sometimes you need to clone around the edges to fix things up a bit. Don't forget to adjust the color and tones to match the bg if necessary.

There are other ways to accomplish the same task but this is normally what I do. If you know how to mask you can do that instead.

It's a lot of work but works if the image is very important to you.

Good luck!
Sponsors
  #8    Top
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Elite Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalpics View Post
What I do when I really hate a bg is get rid of it. I lasso my subject using the polygonal lasso tool, copy/paste the new one on top of the old one. If you turn off the bottom layer you will see your subject sitting in a trasparent bg. I never do damage to the original by cutting out the subject.

Choose an appropriate bg and remember size is everything here. If you have a high res image and a low res bg you need to blow up to match the original, it just won't work.

After the new bg is in place, you need to fix the raw edges on the original subject. What I normally do is use the blur tool at about 50% or lower and carefully run around the edges. Sometimes you need to clone around the edges to fix things up a bit. Don't forget to adjust the color and tones to match the bg if necessary.

There are other ways to accomplish the same task but this is normally what I do. If you know how to mask you can do that instead.

It's a lot of work but works if the image is very important to you.

Good luck!

thanks a lot crystalpics.i'll try it and see if it works.i know how to mask enough so that it doesn't look ugly..we'll see the results!thanks again

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101