Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > SLRs (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 30th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Collou France sunset
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
refurbished digital ok to buy?

Would anyone buy a refurbished digital camera? What does that even mean? Once broken? And will it be reliable?
  #2    Top
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Premiere Jerk
Recent Photo: Ripple Path
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Refurbished digital cameras are usually cameras that had problems during the warranty period. They usually are fixed to be like new. I have purchase non-photo refurbished items before and never had any problems with them.
  #3    Top
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:55 PM
Just in my personal opinion, I would not buy refurbs. I've had refurbished cel-phones, and they don't work as well as new ones, plus they break down/wear out faster and seem to have little problems here and there, but that's just my experience from cellular telephones.
However, I do buy gently used camera equipment. In fact, all of my equipment is pre-owned. My XTi was owned by a guy who "recieved it as a gift" and only had around 200 clicks on it. It looks just like new. My lenses and bag, as well as my flash are all used, and are holding up superbly.
Who knows, maybe Refurb will be better than used?
  #4    Top
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
If it's a factory refurb...good deal....if it's a BestBuy (or whatever) store return and they say it's a factory refurb, I wouldn't touch it.
  #5    Top
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:28 AM
When I bought my first s.l.r. the screws holding the hot shoe to the camera came off and jammed up the camera. The screws were mounted on the inside. The store I bought the camera at replaced it with another camera. a short time later the same thing happened to the replacement camera. I sent this one to the Yashica repair center. When I got it back it worked better than it did new. The camera worked with out any problems,until it was stolen from my apartment some years later.

Ricoh KR5 super 2
Pentax*ist DL
Sigma 70/300
Sigma 28/80
Pentax 18/55
Phoenix 650/1300
Tamron 75/300
Pentax K20D
Tamron AF 70/200 2.8
AF-540FGZ Pentax flash
  #6    Top
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Collou France sunset
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
thanks to all. you have given me something to think about.
  #7    Top
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Premiere Member
I don't think there are problems with referbs as a whole, but I would buy one from a reputable dealer only. nothing from e-bay. I have bought a few diffrent referb items, although never a camera, and never had any problems with them.
  #8    Top
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Are you kidding? It's a superb deal. I'd be all over it. Many people have a misconception of refurbished. The truth is it can be better than new. Why? Well, for whatever reason it was returned it has to be sent back to the manufactuer. There they do extreme testing and quality checks to ensure it can be sold. Being it was taken out of the original packaging and touched by consumers they cannot legally sell it as "new". I'd get a refurb any day of the week and long before I got a demo item. Demo items cannot be sold as "new" either.

To answer your question it does not mean that it was once broken. Yes, chances are it will be more reliable because it has had additional quality checks. For instance someone purchases a Canon for their husband as a Christmas gift. The husband is ecstatic as he opens his new camera only to put his older lenses on and finds out he has real lenses (Nikon). So, the Canon goes back to the store. The store ships it back to Canon. The workers at Canon look it over to make sure hubby didn't screw it up by trying to put real lenses on it. While it's there it usually gets firmware updates as well. They then put it back in a box, keep the same warranty (usually) on it and sell it under the name, refurbished.
  #9    Top
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Encrusted 002
My 20D is a factory re-furb and has been flawless since day one. Looked like new, and performs like new.

Last edited by sportster44; May 11th, 2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Can't spell!
Sponsors
  #10    Top
Old May 11th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
The 30D I just bought is a refurb. Again, I would only buy from a reputable company, and when I say reputable, I mean not only reputable in a business sense, but also a positive reputation in the photographic community. Places like Adorama, B & H, etc.

I can't say anything about any company other than Canon, but if you get a factory refurb from Canon, it will be in a sealed Canon box that has a "Refurbished" sticker attached to it.

And you generally get several hundred dollars off the price of a new one, which is quite a deal for a camera that is basically new.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > SLRs (Film & Digital)