Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:49 AM
The Southern Yankee
Recent Photo: Sweet Magnolia
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Camera Settings

I'm just curious to know what mode most people shoot in the majority of the time -- Manual? Aperture priority? Shutter priority? And, how do you go about choosing your mode and your aperture and shutter speed? I think that different photographers go about this a little differently than others, and I thought it would be interesting to hear what ya'll do (there's the southern in me coming out).
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 12-24 f.4.0 G ED DX
Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 ED VR

www.judybruner.com
  #2    Top
Old April 20th, 2005, 06:57 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I prefer to shoot in manual mode most of the time. There are times when I may revert to Av or Tv depending on the lighting conditions and the specific action. Most of my photography does not require "firing from the hip" and I have time to compose my shot and carefully choose the best aperture and shutter speed for my intended output. I find that manual gives me the maximum freedom.
  #3    Top
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Elite Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
I mostly use Aperture priority nowadays... As it's easier for me to handle the DOF than Shutter priority and Program.

I use manual long time ago before I started being lazy...
  #4    Top
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
if i'm taking pics of the kids playing i usually just set it to auto...if i'm setting up a shot i'll use manual....the recent pics i took in goliad i switched around...just to see if i could still manually adjust quick enough
and sometimes i use aperature priority.
  #5    Top
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:26 PM
The Southern Yankee
Recent Photo: Sweet Magnolia
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin
if i'm taking pics of the kids playing i usually just set it to auto...
That's too funny. I am so much more comfortable with auto with kids running around! However, since getting the D70, I noticed a bunch of what I guess is camera shake even with a lens that isn't a long lens. I've wondered if I should boost up my ISO setting and if that will help. But, I'm really trying to do all manual now and not fall back into my laziness!
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 12-24 f.4.0 G ED DX
Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 ED VR

www.judybruner.com
  #6    Top
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:41 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Tobad there isnt an intellegent auto, something you can program yourself to react the way you normally would.

[edit]I forgot to expand on this. It would be nice to have a custom auto where it wont go slower than a certain shutter speed to prevent hand shake, that it will auto boost the iso to compensate. Or to have a range of aperatures it can use that it will try to stay between. Like if you really like narrow dof's when shooting candids.[/edit]

I would probably use auto for pictures of kids or candids at a wedding. My luck by the time I adjusted the settings the shot will be gone.

Otherwise I would probably use aperature or shutter priority. For me its the same as usuaing manual but it does half the work for you. Aperature if I want a certain dof, or shutter if I want to prevent going to slow.

Then manual if im doing lighting.

I mostly use autofocus at first, then switch to manual to do a slight adjustment.

For those here that have glasses, have you bothered getting the adjustment thing for your viewfinder?
  #7    Top
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:17 AM
aperature, shutter and manual. kinda a balance between them. depends on the type of photography i am shooting.
  #8    Top
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Junior VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Manual shooting and manual metering for me an old dye in the wool approach I know all the built in technology is simply a waste in my hands.

It's a pity we can't buy a great digital camera with no gadgets putting all the money into quality rather than marketing hype.
  #9    Top
Old April 25th, 2005, 12:10 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Wilson

It's a pity we can't buy a great digital camera with no gadgets putting all the money into quality rather than marketing hype.
No kidding. I would much rather have a good build and a better exposure metering system than having 14 different shooting modes that I never use!
  #10    Top
Old April 25th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Junior VIP Member
I wonder if the big camera maufacturers ever read these forums!