Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Grad ND filter

Hey everyone,

I am starting to look for a Grad ND filter and could use some help. I know I don't want a screw in filter as I would like to be able to adjust with the landscape. Other than that i am unsure of my options. I use a rebel xti. Thank you for any guidance.

Stephen
  #2    Top
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:18 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Stephen, I recommend that you get a Cokin holder with HiTech filters. You can get by with the Cokin P size filters or you can go with the larger 4x6 filters. I don't recommend the Cokin filters as they are optically inferior and are not true ND, but they are much cheaper.

Package deals (Cokin holder and one HiTech filter)
P filter size
Larger models

You only need one holder with an adapter ring for each different size filter threads on the front of your lens.

Other available options include Lee filters and SinghRay.

For the best bang for the buck, though....HiTech filters and the Cokin holder work very well.

Hard stop filters are for more definite horizons (ocean) and the soft stops are for uneven horizons. I prefer 2 and 3 stop filters of each, but I'd recommend starting with a 3 stop (soft or hard) if you buy only one.
  #3    Top
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I second that suggestion. A Cokin holder and Hi-Tech filters is a great set-up.

SinghRay filters are pretty awesome, but pricey.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #4    Top
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Another option is to handhold the larger filters. I do that often because it's faster, but having a filter holder does make things easier.
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Yeah, I've even known people to use small strips of gaffer tape to hold the large filters on.

I saw one guy who had a tab of gaffer tape attached to each filter so that he could pull them out of the holder easily, then he used a small strip or two to hold the filter flush on the lens. In addition to being faster, it eliminates the possibility of vignetting with wide angle lenses.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)