Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:43 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Student Launches 'First EXPOSURE' to Teach Photography

Article: Student Launches 'First EXPOSURE' to Teach Photography to Young Children

Summary: A love of photography combined with a desire to help others has led 17-year-old Laura Barrs of Roswell, Ga., to create "First EXPOSURE," a summer program that teaches youngsters the art of black and white photography. Since the first week in July, Laura has been instructing a small group of children, in 3rd - 5th grade, in the fundamentals of photography including how to use a 35-millimeter camera and the concepts of exposure and composition. The course will culminate with an exhibition of the students' work on Thursday, August 12th from 5:00 pm - 8:00 pm at Haigwood Studios, 565 South Atlanta Street in Roswell. The exhibit is free and open to the public.
  #2    Top
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:25 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Interesting. :0) I wonder if shes doing it non profit or getting something for her time. Either way its a good idea. Something like this would have been fun if they did it in school when I was going through. Like the art class.
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old July 28th, 2004, 05:45 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Maybe you could give back the community with something like this... and hey, it looks good on the resume.
  #4    Top
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I would have loved to be able to do something like that when I was a kid.

Kids these days are so spoiled
  #5    Top
Old July 28th, 2004, 06:14 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
when it comes to school thier not spoiled, with all the cut backs. :0) Then again the parents are buying them $500 entertainment systems. things are a bit warped.
  #6    Top
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I wonder where she got all the cameras.

I'd love to do a program like that. I'm definitely using photography as part of my kids' art education, which I think is so totally screwed up anyway.

Little kids are born with creativity. They draw 3 blobs with horns and rays sticking out and it's a horse or a dragon or a flower garden, or something creative. Then we come along and say, "No, no. A horse looks like this ..."

Then after we've driven all the creative visualization out of them and taught them to be artistic realists, we wonder where their artistic vision and creativity have gone.

/end tangential rant
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #7    Top
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:34 PM
VIP Member
Hmm, good point about all the camera's. Ive seen a lot of poleroids and cheap 35mm camera's at yard sales. Perhaps she did it that way.
  #8    Top
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:35 PM
The Corner Creator
Or maybe they were donated...? Someone should email and ask... there's an email address at the bottom of that article...
  #9    Top
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:39 PM
VIP Member
Hmm, now im tempted to gether the cameras up for that. Wonder if I can say thats waht thier for before I even attempt to get something like this going. Then you gotta go through and make sure they work.
  #10    Top
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
When I first started to get into photography, I had to babysit my brother who was 6 at the time for 2 weeks, and I had a ton of photography assignments that were due at the start of school again. My little brother thought it was so cool that he got to be like his "big sis" and run around with me with his little disposable camera taking "art" as he called it.

Kids have a great imagination, but sometimes theres no faucet to turn it on.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News