Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
  #11    Top
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Recent Photo: Seagull looking at me
Re: Tips for Photographing Wildlife

this is a very useful article as I plan to have a safari tour in Africa end of this month. I will try to apply what I have read here and I wqill share later with you the pictures
  #12    Top
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

^ Looking forward to seeing the shots you get. I've always wanted to go on a safari shoot!
  #13    Top
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Recent Photo: Rose colored evening

There are definitely some great pointers here for Wildlife photos. I find the 2 camera READY comment to be RIGHT ON! Continuous opening of the body to keep fooling with lenses will not only get foreign material in the mirrors and on the lens, you will miss the shot you have been waiting the whole trip for. ....... Another problem that comes up with 2 bodies ready to go is that if you aren't "hands on" both of them (kinda hard to do when getting a shot isn't it?) then sure as heck, one of the bodies is gonna drop in the dirt, or even worse yet, be broken when your mode of transport or "camera holder for the moment" moves! What a killer, to go so far, and lose not only the MOMENT, but you camera. I don't like recommending products, but a "Cotton Carrier" (this is the name of a harness assembly that is quite comfortable and very protective of your camera) is GREAT. My field of experience is guiding photographers for Brown/Black bear-whales-Mtn Goats-orcas-sealions-glaciers from a boat or on shore after a quick skiff ride here in SE Alaska. Believe me, picking up a dusty camera is still better than watching one sink with a thousand dollar lense on it. And if you are climbing, you have a "quick draw" camera ready to go that hasn't been swinging from a neck strap against every rock.
On the sunset problem --- I am far from an expert like so many here, but , go negative a stop and a half in the AE mode and watch your sunsets come to life ------ experiment up and down a bit but start at -1 1/2 ....... I spent years getting blown out pictures on film and not knowing the answer ---- love digital !!
One last couple hints from the guide side ------- don't try to get a perfect framing of your scene when working with wildlife ------- you can always crop a bit, but you can't add -------- have it on motor, get a new battery in it if there is even the slightest doubt about the one in the camera (I haven't seen that one yet --- be sure to have back up batteries) , keep the chatter and movement of the photographers to a MINIMUM, & use a higher f stop but still a 500 shutter at least if at all possible ----------- the reason for the higher Fstop is for the depth of field on a fast setting and the animal is about to bolt ----- if he is gonna stay put (in a wild setting) you can always go for the lack of fore/background as you go ........................................... and most of all , as was pointed out in the original article ---- if the eyes aren't in focus, you lose
  #14    Top
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:15 PM

Great tips!

One thing that I would recommend for utilizing two bodies (or one) is an R-Strap. I seen one mentioned as a 'must have' accessory in a thread about 2 years ago and purchased it on a whim - I haven't looked back.

I've put mine through hell and back with abuse and it's still as good as the day I bought it - albeit with no paint left on the mount.

I've found a single r-strap along with a traditional camera strap for the other body worked very well for me in the Galapagos and throughout Europe and Asia. They have since released a two camera body r-strap and I'm seriously considering giving it a try.
Sponsors
  #15    Top
Old March 17th, 2011, 11:26 PM

I'm new in this forum and I really appreciate that you share this guide. It is truly helpful. I especially like the tip you gave about photographing wildlife in the zoo --
walking in a different position to ensure that the background appears natural-- is a good advice. I'll try this one of these days. I also like your tip about capturing little (flying) creatures. Observation is the key in this one. Again, thanks for this wonderful post.
  #16    Top
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:54 AM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Just read this article & thoroughly enjoyed it Tim! You have a very personable style of writing & your photos were awesome, especially the giraffe picture!

Teal
  #17    Top
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:15 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I didn't actually write this one - it was submitted by JeremyT.
  #18    Top
Old January 2nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Recent Photo: Miserable Life.

Thanx for sharing this article with us,Much appriciated.
  #19    Top
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:45 PM

Very interestng...Thanks
Gio
  #20    Top
Old July 8th, 2013, 07:49 AM

Information you provide is very good and interesting..keep up
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles