Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Miscellaneous

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM
beautiful marble...

I am in a photography class at school now and i was bored so i started taking pictures around the class room and i found this bright green marble on a grey paper stand. Thought the colors were cool. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1693.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	745.2 KB
ID:	67382  

My Gear
  #2    Top
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: streets on 35mm
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
i like the sharp focus and basically the overall colour of the photo, i find that the thing the ball is on is kind of dividing the photo in two giving this distracting negative space on the left side.

over all though the curve the ball is in dose leave a leading eye to the ball but maybe a lower angle in my opionion might of improved the composition.
  #3    Top
Old September 18th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I'm gonna have to agree with grif, however I do like your dof and the reflection adds a lot to this, too. It is a neat shot and glad you went out of the box to capture it.

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #4    Top
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Recent Photo: Nephew Kad...1
I like it, I wouldn't have guessed it was a marble without reading your title. I think the colors go well together, and I enjoy good shots of 'average' items lying around.

Gear
Digital Rebel, Nifty Fifty
Canon SD 1100is
Kodak ZD710
Shopping for more!!
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old September 18th, 2008, 06:05 PM
thank you everyone! very encouraging! thanks for the tips

My Gear
  #6    Top
Old September 19th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
With a little more attention to composition, this could have made a superb shot! I like the green marble and it's reflection on the steel/tin. Some nice curves and lines there, and a wonderful contrast in color and shape. The background stuff - the yellow (desk?) and the lighter (walls?) - really takes away from the shot. You saw the marble and the interesting shape and the way it all worked together. You filtered out the surrounding stuff in your mind. The next step is to filter it out with your camera too.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #7    Top
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM
In the composition what would u change?

My Gear
  #8    Top
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
In the composition what would u change?
First off, remember that it is your shot, and you need to be happy with how the image reflects what you saw or had in mind when you tried to photograph it. So the first thing to look at would be what you like/don't like about the shot; what parts were successful/unsuccessful in your view.

Secondly, this is only one (my) opinion. Other people viewing your photo might have a different take. I find the top part where the yellow and white meet to be distracting to the main subject of the picture - I especially don't like the 2nd part of white (the white object) that is to the right of the marble. I also would have liked to have seen a more complete right edge of the object that the marble is resting on.

For some reason, I kind of like the yellow band along the bottom.

Anyway - as I said, that's just me. I like the fact, as others have said, that you are trying to stretch a little beyond the ordinary when taking photographs. It's something that I need to do more of myself. Keep shooting and posting, Terra.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #9    Top
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Thank you sooo much! You are very encouraging!

My Gear
  #10    Top
Old September 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Mario pretty much summed it up! You can just about take any boring object and turn it into a superb photograph. What you can look at is composition and your dof. Just go nuts with different angles, and compositions. Once you have a feel for it then you can start to concentrate on taking the shot you want the first or second photograph. I think experimenting is key when you are first starting out! Keep posting! looking forward to seeing some more of your work.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Miscellaneous