Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
  #1    Top
Old October 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Tips for Great “On Location” Senior Portraits

Article: Tips for Great “On Location” Senior Portraits
  #2    Top
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Whoo Hoo Jeff! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us - greatly appreciated on so many levels!!

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #3    Top
Old October 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Thanks for sharing your experiences and expertise in such a clear and lucidly written article, Jeff. I enjoyed the photos you use for examples as much as I enjoyed the many tips you shared. Cheers!

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #4    Top
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Premiere LEARNER
Recent Photo: Two Ladies
Thanx Jeff, although I don't have any senior prospects to be shot, the principles would be the same for other portraits as well.

SMQ: What are flash gels?
  #5    Top
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:02 AM
The Corner Creator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Thanx Jeff, although I don't have any senior prospects to be shot, the principles would be the same for other portraits as well.

SMQ: What are flash gels?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_gel
  #6    Top
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Thanx Tim, but maybe I should have rather asked how you use them.
I did find this site rather enlightening.

http://lightingmods.blogspot.com/200...ing-color.html
  #7    Top
Old October 6th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Thanx Tim, but maybe I should have rather asked how you use them.
I did find this site rather enlightening.

http://lightingmods.blogspot.com/200...ing-color.html
I plan to write another piece at some point on gels. For now....

All light has a color...a temperature. Indoor incandescent tends to lend a very warm color cast to our photos. To get rid of that color cast we photographers set a custom white balance to "define" for the camera what white is under that tungsten ambient lighting. Now our whites are white, right? But what if we need to add flash to help out our exposures? A common speedlight is more or less "daylight balanced" in it's color temperature....and is much bluer that that tungsten light we just set a custom white balance to correct. So now we also have to balance the color temerature of the flash to match the conditions we are shooting in. In this case, a color temperature orange...or CTO gel would be taped or atherwise affixed to the lens of the flash so that when it fires through the orange filter the color of the light is altered. Of course, the temperature of indoor lighting varies widely, so there are mant CTO's to choose from.....1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and Full CTO. All different densities of orange to aid us in custom matching the color of the flash to suit that custom white balance.

In daylight...sunshine....Filters usually aren't needed.....unless shooting in that orangy late afternoon sun(CTO).

In shade, the light tends to be blue.....so we can add blue(CTB) to the flash to approximate those conditions.

AS a HUGE fan of natural light, I like to keep things as natural looking as possible....especially when using artificial light.

Jeff

Canon 50D, Canon XTi/400D
Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS, 85mmF1.8, 70-200mm F2.8L IS
Canon STE2, 580EX, 580EXII

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
Sponsors
  #8    Top
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreaux2 View Post
I plan to write another piece at some point on gels. For now....
That would be really nice.

Quote:
All light has a color...a temperature. Indoor incandescent tends to lend a very warm color cast to our photos. To get rid of that color cast we photographers set a custom white balance to "define" for the camera what white is under that tungsten ambient lighting. Now our whites are white, right? But what if we need to add flash to help out our exposures? A common speedlight is more or less "daylight balanced" in it's color temperature....and is much bluer that that tungsten light we just set a custom white balance to correct.
Is this why, when I correct the white balance for incandescent, but don't use a gel on the flash, the photo comes out an ugly, but ugly colour somewhere between grey and white? And does it mean that if you have the white balance and the flash gel both on, you're going to get a pic without the yellowish hue that you'd have if you didn't 'correct' these two things?

Quote:
So now we also have to balance the color temerature of the flash to match the conditions we are shooting in. In this case, a color temperature orange...or CTO gel would be taped or atherwise affixed to the lens of the flash so that when it fires through the orange filter the color of the light is altered. Of course, the temperature of indoor lighting varies widely, so there are mant CTO's to choose from.....1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and Full CTO. All different densities of orange to aid us in custom matching the color of the flash to suit that custom white balance.
Quote:
In daylight...sunshine....Filters usually aren't needed.....unless shooting in that orangy late afternoon sun(CTO).

In shade, the light tends to be blue.....so we can add blue(CTB) to the flash to approximate those conditions.
Am I understanding correctly that, by adding blue, the light would not become more blue, but more natural?

Quote:
AS a HUGE fan of natural light, I like to keep things as natural looking as possible....especially when using artificial light.

[/quote]
  #9    Top
Old October 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:

Is this why, when I correct the white balance for incandescent, but don't use a gel on the flash, the photo comes out an ugly, but ugly colour somewhere between grey and white? And does it mean that if you have the white balance and the flash gel both on, you're going to get a pic without the yellowish hue that you'd have if you didn't 'correct' these two things?

If you are shooting a white balance that has been corrected for incandescent light you have..in effect.. subtracted some yellow/orange from your image. If you then add light from a common speedlight (these more or less mimic daylight) the area lit by the flash will be too cool in color. This is the pale looking "flash blasted" look of most flash photography.

Am I understanding correctly that, by adding blue, the light would not become more blue, but more natural?

In shade I usually set my white balance to the "cloudy" setting on my camera. This will turn the blueish looking light in that shade a nice warm tone. Remember though that the flash is designed to match daylight which is already warm...so if I add warm light to a scene already corrected by custom white balance to take away the blue the area lit by flash will be too warm. Adding blue to the flash corrects this.

Does this make sense?

Jeff

Canon 50D, Canon XTi/400D
Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS, 85mmF1.8, 70-200mm F2.8L IS
Canon STE2, 580EX, 580EXII

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
  #10    Top
Old October 8th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Quote:
Does this make sense?
Yea yea, you can laugh all you want. That's OK - In two year or so's time, I'll probably snigger at my own SMQ's (Silly Mufasa Questions). I don't care who laughs, because if I don't ask the SMQ's I will remain stupid for the rest of my days, so I prefer being silly in the beginning . The thing is, I just had a pretty major moment here. Thanx for the info - it was well explained - looking forward to the next article.

(mods - please forgive the light bulb 'smiley' that was again taken from a page Kevin forbade me a long time ago - it was the only light bulb I could find - if you know about any other, let me know, and I won't use this one again - sincere apologies )