Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
  #11    Top
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:36 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Wow - thanks for sharing those tips with us. I sure learned a thing or two. Just have to find a willing victim now.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #12    Top
Old October 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Yea yea, you can laugh all you want. That's OK - In two year or so's time, I'll probably snigger at my own SMQ's (Silly Mufasa Questions). I don't care who laughs, because if I don't ask the SMQ's I will remain stupid for the rest of my days, so I prefer being silly in the beginning . The thing is, I just had a pretty major moment here. Thanx for the info - it was well explained - looking forward to the next article.

(mods - please forgive the light bulb 'smiley' that was again taken from a page Kevin forbade me a long time ago - it was the only light bulb I could find - if you know about any other, let me know, and I won't use this one again - sincere apologies )

I wasn't laughing at you at all. In fact, I was putting a LOL in reference to me saying that I am a huge fan of natural light and so I like to keep the flash work looking as natural as possible. (laughing at my own comment) This was a leftover from that first response to you ...the one that included photos of the gels and flash. As for questions...the only dumb questions are those that remain unasked.

As far as the gels go... when I began using flash in earnest I was very unsatisfied with the mismatch of color balance going on in my images. Yes...you can say I am completely anal about such things, but I have worked through these issues with a good degree of success. When I decided to begin using gels I couldn't find any really usefull info anywhere. All trial and error, but I surely don't mind sharing what I have learned!

If you are interested in trying this, I highly recommend the Phoxle Flashmatch filters. They are custom sized for most flash heads and are tacky on one side. This means you attatch them directly to the lens of the flash and don't need to worry with tape...or the sticky residues it leaves behind. The set comes with a couple different densities of blue(I typically use the lightest of the two blues in shade) and three choices of orange for matching in incandescent light. They are reusable...just try to keep dirt/grit from getting under the sticky side and are long lasting. They also come in a neat case with a neck lanyard that makes it swapping on the go easy at events etc. THis is the simplest way to begin using gels since they are in a set. The only thing that is missing are the green filters for flourescent lighting.....if you fool with that at all.

I have also used the gels sold under the name of "sticky-filters". These DO include a green for flourescent....though I have never tried the green. I had to cut these to fit my flash/diffuser combination and dont really like the storage wallet. They work, but I prefer the Phoxles.

Jeff

Canon 50D, Canon XTi/400D
Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS, 85mmF1.8, 70-200mm F2.8L IS
Canon STE2, 580EX, 580EXII

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
  #13    Top
Old October 9th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Recent Photo: Two Ladies
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreaux2 View Post
I wasn't laughing at you at all. In fact, I was putting a LOL in reference to me saying that I am a huge fan of natural light and so I like to keep the flash work looking as natural as possible. (laughing at my own comment) This was a leftover from that first response to you ...the one that included photos of the gels and flash. As for questions...the only dumb questions are those that remain unasked.

As far as the gels go... when I began using flash in earnest I was very unsatisfied with the mismatch of color balance going on in my images. Yes...you can say I am completely anal about such things, but I have worked through these issues with a good degree of success. When I decided to begin using gels I couldn't find any really usefull info anywhere. All trial and error, but I surely don't mind sharing what I have learned!

If you are interested in trying this, I highly recommend the Phoxle Flashmatch filters. They are custom sized for most flash heads and are tacky on one side. This means you attatch them directly to the lens of the flash and don't need to worry with tape...or the sticky residues it leaves behind. The set comes with a couple different densities of blue(I typically use the lightest of the two blues in shade) and three choices of orange for matching in incandescent light. They are reusable...just try to keep dirt/grit from getting under the sticky side and are long lasting. They also come in a neat case with a neck lanyard that makes it swapping on the go easy at events etc. THis is the simplest way to begin using gels since they are in a set. The only thing that is missing are the green filters for flourescent lighting.....if you fool with that at all.

I have also used the gels sold under the name of "sticky-filters". These DO include a green for flourescent....though I have never tried the green. I had to cut these to fit my flash/diffuser combination and dont really like the storage wallet. They work, but I prefer the Phoxles.
No offense taken at all - I was joking - have learnt very quickly that the people on this form know that the only silly questions are the unasked ones, and thanx again for very useful information. Looking forward to the next article, and will have to go check out the photomarket on a Sunday to see if they have gels available - that is of course once I have asked around what flash gels are in Polish - which of course has its own challenges.
  #14    Top
Old October 15th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Elite Member
Awesome information!! Thanks for sharing!! Rearing to have a go at it again with these tips!!
  #15    Top
Old October 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
One of the best articles I have read, plenty of info! Looking forward to your next one.

Thanks Jeff!
  #16    Top
Old October 16th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Another SMQ that I forgot to ask the other day. Is there any specific reason why you carry a monopod and not a tripod, except for it being lighter to carry?

Thanks Jeff
  #17    Top
Old October 16th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Recent Photo: cat
thanks alot , this important lesson .
  #18    Top
Old October 16th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Another SMQ that I forgot to ask the other day. Is there any specific reason why you carry a monopod and not a tripod, except for it being lighter to carry?

Thanks Jeff
Great question!!

I carry three....yes three....tripods in my vehicle....and always have had at least one with me. They are great to use as props for reflectors....and I can mount a wireless flash on them for off camera light. I can't stand tripods for cameras. I have dragged them on photoshoots only to be frustrated by the fact of having to move it...set-up...adjust...yadayadayada.....it just doesn't fit with my shooting style. Once I got used to the monopod, I found myself using it nearly all the time. It is a great...non limiting way to stabilize a camera. For portraits....image quality and sharpness....especially in the eyes is critical. I often soften photos in photoshop, but toss images that are not captured sharp. I will unmount from the monopod more often only if I am using a lens that has stabilization built in.....like my 17-55F2.8IS.

Jeff

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
  #19    Top
Old October 17th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreaux2 View Post
I have dragged them on photoshoots only to be frustrated by the fact of having to move it...set-up...adjust...yadayadayada.....it just doesn't fit with my shooting style. I will unmount from the monopod more often only if I am using a lens that has stabilization built in.....like my 17-55F2.8IS.
Yes!!! yadayadayada... It makes me crazy too, so this is going to be my next buy - even before the polarised filter!

Thanks a lot - I just knew that this was a SUPER question! haha!
  #20    Top
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Yes!!! yadayadayada... It makes me crazy too, so this is going to be my next buy - even before the polarised filter!

Thanks a lot - I just knew that this was a SUPER question! haha!
I use a Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead and quick disconnect on mine. Many will say that a swivel is all that is needed on a monopod. Thats fine for sideline sports shots, but for portraits a ball head is preferable. The camera can then tilt, swivel, etc quickly and in all directions. The Manfrotto pod I use has feet that store into the base that allows me to use it as a light stand in a pinch.

Jeff

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles