Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
  #21    Top
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Premiere LEARNER
Recent Photo: Two Ladies
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreaux2 View Post
I use a Manfrotto 486RC2 ballhead and quick disconnect on mine. Many will say that a swivel is all that is needed on a monopod. Thats fine for sideline sports shots, but for portraits a ball head is preferable. The camera can then tilt, swivel, etc quickly and in all directions. The Manfrotto pod I use has feet that store into the base that allows me to use it as a light stand in a pinch.
I've heard that the ballhead is not as steady as the swivel is, and that it's more difficult to level?
  #22    Top
Old October 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
I've heard that the ballhead is not as steady as the swivel is, and that it's more difficult to level?

Probably so....especially if we are talking about shooting landscapes or archetectual subjects from a tripod. A monopod, by its nature, really cannot be leveled any better or worse than a hand held camera. It will take away the shakes, which will provide sharper images. I like the ballhead...which is pretty much unlimited in its range of motion rather than anything else that might elbow in on my shooting time.

Jeff

Canon 50D, Canon XTi/400D
Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS, 85mmF1.8, 70-200mm F2.8L IS
Canon STE2, 580EX, 580EXII

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
  #23    Top
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Premiere LEARNER
Thank you so much for these shots - they demonstrate perfectly.
And there is no way that you can maneuvre a tripod like that! Cool!
  #24    Top
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Blue Angels 2009
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Great article Jeff, definitely helpful for me since I'm slowly getting into portraits on location myself. I'm actually looking to getting some gels for my 580EXII so thanks for sharing.

Do you use a flash bracket or just swivel your speed light with the camera in portrait orientation? OR do you use the flash off camera?

Awesome pics by the way!
  #25    Top
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Blue Angels 2009
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
oh.....I guess I didn't realize this thread had more pages and saw my answer
  #26    Top
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Great article Jeff, definitely helpful for me since I'm slowly getting into portraits on location myself. I'm actually looking to getting some gels for my 580EXII so thanks for sharing.

Do you use a flash bracket or just swivel your speed light with the camera in portrait orientation? OR do you use the flash off camera?

Awesome pics by the way!
I use Phoxle Flash Match gels. Chris Pederson is an awesome guy to do business with. He is very knowledgable and welcomes technical questions about his products. Their website is : http://phoxle.homestead.com/

I do use off camera flash, but all of the photos with the article used everything from available light, to reflected light, to shoe mounted flash. None of them incorperated off camera flash. I do not use a bracket. If balanced correctly, the flash shouldn't be introducing shadows, so a shoe mounted flash should be acceptable. For wedding receptions and other indoor events, I use a flash mounted on a monopod and fired via STE2 so I can drill light into the composition where I want it....holding it 5 feet or so away from my body.

Jeff

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
  #27    Top
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Premiere LEARNER
What's a bracket? And is there some gadget with which you mount the flash onto the monopod?
  #28    Top
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
What's a bracket? And is there some gadget with which you mount the flash onto the monopod?

A flash braket. There are two kinds, those that allow the flash to rotate, and those that allow the camera to rotate. The idea is to keep the flash above the camera whether in the landscape or portrait orientation so that shadows cast by the flash fall uniformly centered and behind the subject. By moving the flash farther from the lens, the chances of getting "red eye" in your photos is minimized as well. Most bracket users use a cord to connect the flash to the hotshoe.

The 580EX Canon flash comes with a plastic bracket that accepts the flash on top, and has a 1/4" thread into the bottom that accepts the quick connect for my monopod. There are better aluminum brackets available, but these have worked well for me up to this point.

Jeff

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
  #29    Top
Old November 1st, 2008, 03:34 AM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Very informative and interesting article

I found it a very interesting article and the pictures helped too. Very good ideas given ...thanks for Sharing your knowledge.
  #30    Top
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:47 PM
thank you

Those were some great tips!! thanks a lot for the information.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles