Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
  #31    Top
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Recent Photo: Lower Watson Falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker View Post

Great article, Having been a professional photographer for 30 years it's nice to read an article from someone who is at the top of their game..
Terry @ http://www.photographylessoncenter.com/blog/
  #32    Top
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by tday01 View Post
Great article, Having been a professional photographer for 30 years it's nice to read an article from someone who is at the top of their game..
Terry @ http://www.photographylessoncenter.com/blog/
Well, thank you very much for the wonderful compliment. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Jeff

Canon 50D, Canon XTi/400D
Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS, 85mmF1.8, 70-200mm F2.8L IS
Canon STE2, 580EX, 580EXII

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
  #33    Top
Old February 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Recent Photo: Flowers in Full Bloom
Re: Tips for Great “On Location” Senior Portraits

This is an excellent article and inspires us to begin our school/Senior photography careeer we have been planning. We are new to the "school" photography aspect, although have been photographers for years. We are seeing more and more what a lucrative avenue taking on this type of photography will be. Thank you for the info. One of the better of the SEVERAL we have read lately. My question to you is.....exactly how do you start?? Do you contact the schools? Do you provide the photos for the yearbooks, or is this more a personal portraiture service you offer the families? If you do work with the schools, do you also do Elementary and Middle Schools? Would love to hear your expertise on these matters, and again, thank you for such great stuff in this article.
  #34    Top
Old February 24th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Fall Leaf in Water
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

good article. Thanks for sharing.

http://corwinephotos.blogspot.com/
  #35    Top
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellystone View Post
This is an excellent article and inspires us to begin our school/Senior photography careeer we have been planning. We are new to the "school" photography aspect, although have been photographers for years. We are seeing more and more what a lucrative avenue taking on this type of photography will be. Thank you for the info. One of the better of the SEVERAL we have read lately. My question to you is.....exactly how do you start?? Do you contact the schools? Do you provide the photos for the yearbooks, or is this more a personal portraiture service you offer the families? If you do work with the schools, do you also do Elementary and Middle Schools? Would love to hear your expertise on these matters, and again, thank you for such great stuff in this article.

Our local schools contract with a photographer to provide all yearbook headshots as well as team sports photos for the yearbook. This is a pretty lucrative and financially rewarding agreement as you can imagine.

For me, though, the impersonal prospect of lining homeroom students up and running each between the umbrellas, repeating each shot identically has no draw. I prefer doing the more personal type service that I offer...especially since I have a full-time job away from photography. The school stuff just isn't for me.

As part of my service though I do offer 10"x10" press printed hardbound books to house each graduates senior portfolio. These sell better than I would have expected.

Jeff

Canon 50D, Canon XTi/400D
Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS, 85mmF1.8, 70-200mm F2.8L IS
Canon STE2, 580EX, 580EXII

www.jkmann.com
www.jkmann.blogspot.com
  #36    Top
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Texture rocks
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Thank you for sharing your exp, and knowledge. Also a well written article.
  #37    Top
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: waterfall2
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I too really appreciate the advice given in this article. I am getting ready to do my first senior shoot and while the parents and student know that I'm not a professional and I'm doing this on the cheap side, I would like to do my best for them. My question is this, or rather questions are: I only have the onboard flash, no extras, can these gels be used with the onboard if neccessary and what are the results? I have noticed that my camera makes skin appear to be quite red toned. Would the blue gels help with that? Also, if the sun is really bright that day, do you suggest using a polarizing filter or just trying to get under trees or other cover whenever neccessary? We are shooting at her uncle's farm which I have never been to and have no idea what I'm up against. Thanks again for all the great advice!
  #38    Top
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Elite Member

Try to do the shoot just before sunset, late evening. That's when you'll have the sweet light. Hope for a cloudy, overcast day to avoid harsh shadows and lighting and do avoid dappled sunlight coming through trees if you decide to shoot in the shade. The onboard flash will probably provide enough fill light. Remember to have fun!!!!!
  #39    Top
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Recent Photo: Flowers in Full Bloom

I recently responded that we were interested in school/Senior portraits. Well, since then, we went to a conference in Pasadena, CA through the Professional Photographers of California, and have changed our visions. We now have chosen not to do the school age photography and have launched a new and exciting Senior portrait on location shooting. The money is phenomenal. We like the on location shooting as it offers a more personal touch for the Seniors. We can shoot at the home they grew up in, on their favorite swing, in their new car.....the possibilities are endless. We are having a blast with it and find it quite a lucritive market as the parents treasure this milestone in their childs life. We offer a dvd with all the proofs to the clients with a cool song that plays while they play it. When they play it for their extended family, we are getting calls for more and more orders.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles