Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Photography and You

As I sit here on a cloudy and dreary afternoon, I am wondering about how different people view photography. So...

1. How does photography fit into your life? (Hobby? Field of Study? Earning income?Other?)

2. If you had to choose between photographing a glorious landscape or a glorious city, which would you choose and why?

3. If you were told that you could take the perfect portrait, but could only do it once, who would you choose as your subject and why?

4. If you had to choose between having sex with a beautiful person everyday or having one free day per week of taking photographs, which lens woud you most want to have in your bag? What did you expect - this is a photography forum.

So... come on... play along. Pour yourself your favorite beverage and contribute to the conversation. I hate to drink alone.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com

Last edited by Nikon_Mario; November 8th, 2008 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old November 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: IMGP0112
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Mario View Post
As I sit here on a cloudy and dreary afternoon, I am wondering about how different people view photography. So...

1. How does photography fit into your life? (Hobby? Field of Study? Earning income?Other?)

2. If you had to choose between photographing a glorious landscape or a glorious city, which would you choose and why?

3. If you were told that you could take the perfect portrait, but could only do it once, who would you choose as your subject and why?

4. If you had to choose between having sex with a beautiful person everyday or having one free day per week of taking photographs, which lens woud you most want to have in your bag? What did you expect - this is a photography forum.

So... come on... play along. Pour yourself your favorite beverage and contribute to the conversation. I hate to drink alone.
It's cloudy and dreary here, too.

I numbered your questions for clarity.

1. I'm typing this as my 3 yo son is draped over my back, trying to 'sneak up' behind me. He's giggling madly! Anyhow, with two young kids, I've found that photography fits my lifestyle very well. My first creative 'love' is writing, but it's soooo hard to concentrate around here, and even though I can 'get away' at times, I found that if I don't have that sustained attention to it, I lose focus. Photography, on the other hand, is a fun hobby that I find 'fits' into our daily lives well. I snap shots when we're out and about, then process when I get a chance. It doesn't drain my brain like writing does. This shift bothered me at first, but I can write later, when the kids are older and want nothing to do with me.

2. I live in the country, so am surrounded by landscapes. But I'd choose the city simply because I've never shot one. It would be a new experience.

3. My kids.

4. Um, I'd have a Pentax *ist DL and three lenses for sale.

Pentax K20D~Pentax 16-24, 55, 50-135, Sigma 70-300

"In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary."
~Aaron Rose
  #3    Top
Old November 8th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:

Seems , I have been checking the weather every hour, in hopes of getting out tomorrow. November Rain....perfect song for today.

1. Photography for me is just a hobby. Time to get out, see things, and try to capture them as I see it. But it has also become an obsessive hobby.
2. City for me. I love to see the underbelly of it, but also the beauty of it.
3. Since I have never really had the chance to do any portrait photography, if I ever did have a chance, I would love to sit and chat with Neil Peart, and photograph him. He has always inspired my drumming, and I have read his books.
4. I would much rather have the one free day of shooting per week, and hang out with my Sigma 10-20
Visit me here..Room57
  #4    Top
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Mallets
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:

Lets see...

1. Hobby, but progressing to a potential money maker
2. I would have to say landscape because I love being outdoors away from people, and I live in a city.
3. Honestly I don't know!
4. I haven't developed a fast array of lenses to choose from but probably a macro lens of somesort. (I would have to get one though )
  #5    Top
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Walter's Gate
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
[quote=Nikon_Mario;569828]As I sit here on a cloudy and dreary afternoon, I am wondering about how different people view photography. So...

1. My Dad was a photographer so I inherited the gene, dominant or recessive at various times in my life. He was mainly a hobbist, who made considerable part-time money at it when he wanted too, including industrial films......now that I have retired from Universal Studios the gene is popping out again and is my entertainment now...maybe a few dinero down the line.....

2. I'd probably have to go with the city...native to Los Angeles, I am used to the pace of a big city and like the faster decision speed and unique odd opportunities that present themselves.....

3. Probably of my WHOLE family, if I could include my Dad and Sister who are gone now....

4. My new 70-300 cause I could be more versitile from a longer distance and still play macro iffin I wanted too....hehehe

If You Have'nt Grown Up By Age 30....You Don't Have To!!....(unknown...but written On Stone...honest!)

Gear
Canon XSi
Canon EF-S 18-55 IS Lens
Sigma AF 70-300mm 4-APO DG II Macro
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

"and my Trusty Little Snappy"
Kodak "Pink" M753 EASYSHARE
"and a Bean Bag, In Tribute to My DAD"

How do I become a Premiere Member? | How do I upload to the Corner Galleries?
How do I enter a Photograph of the Month Contest? | How do I enter a Contest Corner Challenge?
Photography Corner Map | Chatroom
  #6    Top
Old November 8th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:

I've been trying to make this "hobby" turn itself into a self-supporting income earner. Not too much luck though, but still trying. It's what I want to do.

Quote:
I would choose the glorious landscape because I just love tranquility over the hustle and bustle of a city.

Quote:
Natalie Dessay, a coloratura soprano in performance. Just from her beauty and from her love of singing. If I could convey that through a photograph of her, that would be awesome.

Quote:
Sorry, I'd want a Nikon D3 to go along with it but I love wildlife so I'd want a 400mm f/2.8.
My Gear
  #7    Top
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Brother
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Hobby. It's my mode of relaxation. I've made some money with it.

Hmm, tough choice. I love architecture and cityscapes but can't turn down an invitation for a walk in the country.

My Grandfather. He taught me to really see the world around me. (I miss him!)

4. If you had to choose between having sex with a beautiful person everyday or having one free day per week of taking photographs, which lens would you most want to have in your bag? What did you expect - this is a photography forum.

One free day per week of taking photographs. Lens? I'd want them all - you never know what you'll see.
Allentown, PA Corner Meetup!
I know the REAL Mike Dorn!!
  #8    Top
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: james2224
My answers

Quote:

1. How does photography fit into your life? (Hobby? Field of Study? Earning income?Other?) Hobby and Income

2. If you had to choose between photographing a glorious landscape or a glorious city, which would you choose and why? Landscape, I prefer photo without electrical wires and traffic signs.

3. If you were told that you could take the perfect portrait, but could only do it once, who would you choose as your subject and why? My baby girl, she died before birth so I never got to meet her.

I like my 15-55mm.

#9    Top
Old November 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Roses On Counter Top
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Originally Posted by Nikon_Mario

1. How does photography fit into your life? (Hobby? Field of Study? Earning income? Other?)

Answer: It is a hobby that stimulates the creative artist in-side me while motivating the scientific principles that are part of the photographic process. It would be great if this hobby was an income source. My first 35mm camera was an Argus C4 that I bought in at the start of my senior year of High School in 1955 (summer earnings as a lifeguard). I quickly found that photography was more expensive than anticipated which limited my ability to do what I would have liked, still a problem today.

Answer: Landscape, love the outdoors away from all the noise and environmental problems we have inflicted on ourselves. Still I love the challenge of urban landscapes and the interactions that go on in our everyday lives.

Answer: Way too many people to sort through (family, historical and present day figures) and rationalize a subject of just one.

Answer: Now that Iím retired I donít have to sweat those sex or photography decisions my wife is happy to get me out of house. After being married to one woman for 46 years I canít find a good reason to run around with just one lens. A camera body is not monogamous it needs more than one lens.
  #10    Top
Old November 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: streets on 35mm
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
all of the above, some of ye guys might know ive started my 5 year degree in it this year so i fit under study. although that said i find myself going out and not shooting things for college so that would be hobby. and in terms of income - i get it here and there, ive done several events for papers and some band shoots with the odd one or two portrait sessions.

The world is a very beautiful place, its difficult to answer. I love being out in the countryside, i go hiking the odd time and for a cycle (the winter is in now so not so much) but there is nothing like human interaction to me, so being in a city or small town is right up my ally at the moment. Although i do find myself on the beach alot.

id do it of someone i didnt know. photography is a form of communication, and id like to meet that person i didnt know.

dose it have to be the same beautiful person everyday?
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner