Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old November 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Mario View Post
As I sit here on a cloudy and dreary afternoon, I am wondering about how different people view photography. So...

1. How does photography fit into your life? (Hobby? Field of Study? Earning income?Other?)

2. If you had to choose between photographing a glorious landscape or a glorious city, which would you choose and why?

3. If you were told that you could take the perfect portrait, but could only do it once, who would you choose as your subject and why?

4. If you had to choose between having sex with a beautiful person everyday or having one free day per week of taking photographs, which lens woud you most want to have in your bag? What did you expect - this is a photography forum.

So... come on... play along. Pour yourself your favorite beverage and contribute to the conversation. I hate to drink alone.
1. Hobby for me. I'd starve if I had to rely on my photography to make a living so you pros out there have nothing to worry about from me.

2. Definately a landscape. Utah vs. Manhatten - Utah wins every time. I'm around people all day and let's face it - sometimes people suck. Not you guys of course or my family, afterall, you and my family tolerate me so that's a plus in my book.

3. Adam - yes, most certainly Adam. In his seven short years on this earth I never once photographed him. That is one thing I will always regret.

4. I'm not emotionally attached to any of my lenses. I've never tried sleeping with one under my pillow so I probably do what I always do whenever I go out shooting and bring most all of them along. If I leave some of them home they feel left out and get all mad at me and stuff... lenses can be so fickle !!!

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
  #12    Top
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Thanks everyone that's input so far. It's cool to learn a little more about those of you that responded. Maybe a few others would like to chime in?

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #13    Top
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:22 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I've been a rank amateur photographer since the mid 70's. I took a lot of really good slides and photographs, delving into color darkroom work for some time, but I came alive anew when I went to digital. My passion of the art exploded and I reinvented myself photographically (so to speak). Although I have done a spattering of paid shoots, most of my work is done purely for my own gratification and sits on my computer or printed out and resides in one of several albums for show and tell. My wife and friends are constantly telling me that I should sell my work, but I've never taken the necessary steps to market myself or my work. Maybe one of these days, I'll take the leap and test the waters.

Although I enjoy shooting stills, random objects, a crowded sidewalk and building architectural scenes, my passion lies in capturing on paper what God created for our enjoyment. A beautiful landscape, alive with color and awe, would be my preferred subject. Running rivers, cascading falls, majestic mountainsides, or the bursts of fall colors exploding in a meadow capture my eye quicker than anything one might find in the city.

Portraiture...ah, my nemesis and weakness, mainly because I do so little of it. I lack the equipment to do studio work so I'd opt to shoot outdoors on location, preferably one of those listed in the paragraph above. The model? A difficult answer, indeed. The character lines of an older man, the sexy eyes of a beautiful woman, the raw energy of a child at play, the love connection of a loving couple holding hands. How does one define the perfect subject with such an endless array of choices?

I still (and likely always will) lust for the Canon 600mm f/4L lens. I can't imagine the thrill of location shooting wildlife with such a magnificent piece of equipment.

Mostly, I continue to evolve with my photography. My passion may wain at times, my subject interests will waiver, and I continue to try new things and explore new avenues. There's always a new adventure on the horizon and I press onward, God willing.
Sponsors
  #14    Top
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
1- I have managed to make it a small part of my work-life. I prepare most of the marketing collateral and advertisements for my company, and lately it has involved using a lot of my own photos. It's been a great way for me to make work fun and learn about photography at the same time. It's made me at least realize that I want to heavily invest into this interest as at least a hobby with potential to gain some business of my own...

2- I'd take the landscape. But it's a tough call. I just love natural wide-angle landscapes a little more than wide-angle cityscapes... landscapes are my favorite thing to photograph, and it generally means for me that I'm away from home, getting a chance to see the rest of the world.

3- Assuming the mob was really willing to cut off my shutter finger after the shot, I'd have to say I'd want to shoot my my wife's 2-year old cousin. She is ridiculously cute and photogenic.

4- I'd probably take a sigma 10-20, or if I was on a full-frame setup, I might go with Nikon's 12mm. I like it wide. Aside from that, I can always get my wife hopped up on aphrodisiacs and hope for the best.
  #15    Top
Old November 12th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Fall Leaf in Water
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
As I sit here on a cloudy and dreary afternoon, I am wondering about how different people view photography. So...

1. How does photography fit into your life? (Hobby? Field of Study? Earning income?Other?)

2. If you had to choose between photographing a glorious landscape or a glorious city, which would you choose and why?

3. If you were told that you could take the perfect portrait, but could only do it once, who would you choose as your subject and why?

4. If you had to choose between having sex with a beautiful person everyday or having one free day per week of taking photographs, which lens woud you most want to have in your bag? What did you expect - this is a photography forum.

So... come on... play along. Pour yourself your favorite beverage and contribute to the conversation. I hate to drink alone.
1) It is definitely a hobby for me, but at some point, I would not mind if it became a source of income. I started taking pictures when I was a little kid, but never had any direction or instruction. At this point in my life, I am simply trying to hone in on who I am as a photographer and what genre really expresses what I see in my mind.

2) Landscape all the way!!!! No wait!!!!!!!! City!!!!!!! Oh well, I don't realy care as long as it is a beautiful sight. This is part of my growing process.... I like it all

3) If I could only do one portrait, I think I would like to be able to shoot a teacher that I had in school. I had her for at least one class from 4th grade through my senior year. Most of the time she had me for more than one class. The cake topper is that when she died of cancer, she asked that I speak at her funeral. I don't think there is anyone else that I would rather have a perfect picture of....

4) Since we are dreaming here.... I am definitely wanting something super-tele and fast... it is kind of a dream for me to get some ultra closeups of animals in the wild.

http://corwinephotos.blogspot.com/
  #16    Top
Old November 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Recent Photo: Freedom
1. How does photography fit into your life? (Hobby? Field of Study? Earning income?Other?) As of right now it is a hobby/field of study if you want to be technical about it I personally would say it's a passion for me it is one of the first things I think about when I wake up in the morning I think I may love my camera more than I love my fiance.

2. If you had to choose between photographing a glorious landscape or a glorious city, which would you choose and why? I would choose a landscape because I love all things natural and wild

3. If you were told that you could take the perfect portrait, but could only do it once, who would you choose as your subject and why? Lady Morgana if you dont know who she is google her and you will understand. She is one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen with a gothic erotic flare I would give anything to photograph her.

4. If you had to choose between having sex with a beautiful person everyday or having one free day per week of taking photographs, which lens woud you most want to have in your bag? What did you expect - this is a photography forum. My fisheye lens
  #17    Top
Old November 12th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I'm really enjoying reading all your responses! Helps to get to know you a little more. Thanks for your contributions. But there's a lot more members out there... any others want to share?

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #18    Top
Old November 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Destiny
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
What a great thread. Been fun reading it and here are my answers

Thanks a lot, Mario

Quote:
It started as a hobby and outlet and now it's my biggest passion! Can't stop thinking about it. Not a field of study - and not earning money from it, but hopefully someday

Quote:
I've always preferred cities. Maybe because, in a weird way, I like 'life' in them more. I like how each has its character and mood.

Quote:
Oooh.. tough one.
But hey, some can take the perfect portrait more than once. LOL. Just kidding.
Ok, if I could do it only once, I'll have to choose mom. Although I often think of twisted ideas for celebrities and friends. Well, maybe someday. LOL

Quote:
Sex, of course!

Oh.

Pfff!!

Ok, I'd probably stick to a 'standard' eye lens (18-55 or 17-85). I love lenses can capture the scene almost as the eye would see it

follow me on Facebook & twitter
  #19    Top
Old November 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: fairprint2
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:

1. It's definitely a field of study, hopefully the end result will be earning income.

2. This is a tough one, my strongest inclinations are for photojournalism and music photography. But I live in a small town and opportunities for journalism are rare and since you can't be Jim Marshall anymore....landscapes during the day and cityscapes at night. Is that cheating?

3. The perfect portrait hmmm...neutral background, a couple of Alienbees, and this old jewelry maker I know from the local Apache reservation.

4. Anything fast.
  #20    Top
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:12 PM
five-oh photographer
Quote:

1. Photography for me is purely a Hobby. I am actually a Police Chief of a small Federal Agency. I deal with difficult situations and complicated people all day long. Photography gives me a chance to express myself and make something beautiful or capture it's beauty.
I am planning on attending Seminary, so photography also affirms my Faith in God. Seeing some of the pictures captured on this board greatly contributes to my faith in a creator.

2. I would choose a glorious landscape. I worked in Los Angeles for a large department for 5 years. I have no desire to be anywhere near a big city.

3. I would choose Mother Theresa. Her face bears the history of a lifetime of serving other people in terrible conditions. If I could capture someone perfectly, I'd like it to be her.

4. Loving my Sigma 18-200 EX. I'm OK with that being the only one in my bag.

Stop reading and go shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner