Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Assignment 3: Depth of Field (DOF)

Okay, so we now know the aperture controls how big the hole opening in your lens will be, now I'd like to talk about how aperture works hand in hand with Depth of Field (DOF).

What is DOF?

DOF is the distance from near to far in a photograph that is in sharp focus (some even call it Depth of Focus which is totally fine).

A landscape where the entire scene is in sharp focus would have a wide Depth of Field. A picture of a flower in sharp focus but the background distance is blurred will have a small Depth of Field.

Several things control your DOF like focal length of your lens, distance between you and your subject and the opening inside of your lens (aka aperture). However, aperture use lends itself to creative picture taking.

How does DOF relate to the f-numbers (aperture)?

The most basic approach is this: The higher your f-number the wider the DOF, and the smaller your f-number the smaller (or narrower) the DOF. A landscape with sharp focus throughout the image was most likely shot using a large f-number, while a flower photographed in sharp focus with the background blurred was most likely shot using a small f-number.

You are probably asking yourself why a smaller opening (large f-number) would create a wide range of sharp focus and why a bigger opening (small f-number) would create a smaller range of sharp focus...well, I am going to again answer simply: Light! We are controlling the light. When your aperture is opened to its max it allows a lot of light onto your camera's sensor or film. Only the light that falls on your focused subject will be seen as sharp, the rest of the light results in a blur. When you close the opening (aperture) to allow a reduction in the flow of light into your camera you are confining or controlling where your light is allowed resulting in a deeper range of sharp focus.

To clear up the confusion, samples of batteries are given to illustrate the effect of your aperture on DOF. Each image is labeled with the f-number. (Thanks to Scott111184 for providing the images!!).

Assignment:

For this assignment I'd like you to combine all the basics from the first three assignments and take one picture that shows an example of either wide DOF or small DOF. Label your picture with the correct DOF to show you understand the concept. Post all your examples here. Happy shooting and can't wait to see all the images!

Refer here to the previous assignments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f-2.8.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	70604  Click image for larger version

Name:	f-4.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	70605  Click image for larger version

Name:	f-5.6.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	70606  Click image for larger version

Name:	f-8.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	70607  Click image for larger version

Name:	f-11.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	70608  

Click image for larger version

Name:	f-14.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	70609  Click image for larger version

Name:	f-18.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	70610  Click image for larger version

Name:	f-22.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	70611  Click image for larger version

Name:	f-32.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	70612  

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #2    Top
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
shallow DOF

this photo of pussywillows was shot with a 400mm lens at f/5.6 - wide open for that lens - from about 6 feet away. the background - assorted springtime buds, leaves, etc., was about 10 feet farther back. the wide aperture has nicely blurred the background, allowing the pussywillows to stand out in sharp focus...

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
this image of the Mukilteo Lighthouse on Puget Sound was taken in Av mode with a 24-135mm lens at 30mm, with the aperture set at f/16. I wanted both the lighthouse and the ferry in the distance to be clear, so I used a smaller aperture to provide greater DOF...

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

#4    Top
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:46 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Excellent examples of how and why to control your depth of field!
  #5    Top
Old February 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Yay!! I'm so glad someone participated in this. And, with excellent examples, too. Just shows that DOF really controls the techinal creativity behind the image. Thanks squirl033 for posting!

If anyone is having trouble or questions please don't hestitate to ask, this is why we are here!

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop

Basics of Photography
  #6    Top
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Newlove, if i may make a small but important distinction in your explanation...

"When your aperture is opened to its max it allows a lot of light onto your camera's sensor or film. Only the light that falls on your focused subject will be seen as sharp, the rest of the light results in a blur. When you close the opening (aperture) to allow a reduction in the flow of light into your camera you are confining or controlling where your light is allowed resulting in a deeper range of sharp focus."

actually, it's not the AMOUNT of light, but the ANGLE of the light rays relative to the lens and the focal plane, and where the lens focuses that light at various apertures. With a large aperture, the angle of incidence is wide, and the lens projects only the subject onto the image plane, while points in front of or behind the subject are blurred because the lens focuses the light from those elements either in front or in back of the focal plane. this creates "circles of confusion" which appear as blur in the image. Decreasing the aperture size reduces the angle of incidence at which light strikes the focal plane, and reduces the size of these "circles of confusion" for points not in the focus zone; when the aperture is reduced to the point that the blurring is imperceptible, all points are within the DOF, and the resulting image is sharp from front to back. i'm attaching a couple of diagrams, courtesy of Wikipedia, that show this in a bit more understandable terms for people like me who "get it" better if we actually SEE the principle... by the way, if you find this too "techie", feel free to delete the post. i won't be offended!

in this diagram, we can see how the lens focuses light from near and far objects either on, in front of, or behind the focal plane, and how that affects the size of the circles of confusion...

the second part shows how changing the aperture affects the angle of incidence, and and the size of the "circles of confusion", which determine what portions of the image are "in focus"...

~ Three Dog Night

#7    Top
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Premiere Member
Squirl033, this is great, thank you so much. Excellent clarification especially for those who want it. It's wonderful to get into the nitty gritty of the technical but for these assignments I'm keeping it simple and very basic. There is a need for simplicity in the beginning stages and that is why I started these. However, for my own knowledge I always want to read the more in-depth facts of it all. I am no expert by any means and all the info I can gather only helps my personal process. I appreciate your advanced lesson into the technical and thank you so much for participating, squirl033 (please don't go away!! )...

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop

Basics of Photography
  #8    Top
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Assignment 3: Depth of Field (DOF)

Thanks Squirl for all the info!

I have not been out much but I did get out in the backyard the other day and figured this would be a good candidate to show DOF. I used the large aperture to separate the subject from the background which helps make it stand out so much more.

1/2000 sec | f/2.8 | ISO 100 | 200mm | manual
  #9    Top
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Premiere Member

Another excellent example. Thanks Scott!!

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop

Basics of Photography
  #10    Top
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Here's mine, aperture set to 6.3 (lowest available at this focal length) to blur the background.

Newlove, thanks for posting those assignments

My Flickr

Save A Dolphin
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101