Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Camera Club Monthly Photo Competition

I'm going to take a brave step in my efforts to improve my photography skills by posting here.

I belong to a local photography club and we have a monthly photo competition that offers critique from a professional photographer(s). Our submitted photos are scored using a point system, with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placements given higher points. These points accumulate throughout the year, with the highest cumulating points qualifying for the photographer of the year award. Being the amateur that I am, I am requesting your critique for the two photos I thought I would enter into the competition this coming Tues.

This months assigned category is - Photojournalistic.

1.) Do you feel as though these attached photos fit into this category?

2.) What are your thoughts on the composition; lighting; etc.

Thanks for your time & critique in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Structural Ruins.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	71769  Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaks for Itself.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	71770  

My albums here:
http://www.photographycorner.com/gal...0/ppuser/14501
Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art.
- Ansel Adams

Last edited by FrameofMind; March 18th, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
  #2    Top
Old March 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Camera Club Monthly Photo Competition

I like the first shot more, but I don't see how it fits into photojournalism. The second one has great lighting, but the sign looks paint-ed it somewhat.
  #3    Top
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
Senior VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel T View Post
I like the first shot more, but I don't see how it fits into photojournalism. The second one has great lighting, but the sign looks paint-ed it somewhat.
Thanks for replying For the first shot I was thinking there was a story to tell about the structure itself. The second one, the story speaks for itself. Both photos are originals with no added effects or corrections. So... do you think the second one would qualify for photojournalism?

My albums here:
Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art.
- Ansel Adams
  #4    Top
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:03 PM
Senior VIP Member

Yes, I definatly think the second one qualifies as photojournalism.
  #5    Top
Old March 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Taken from Wikipedia:
Photojournalism is a particular form of journalism (the collecting, editing, and presenting of news material for publication or broadcast) that creates images in order to tell a news story. It is now usually understood to refer only to still images, and in some cases to video used in broadcast journalism or for personal use. Photojournalism is distinguished from other close branches of photography (such as documentary photography, street photography or celebrity photography) by the qualities of:

* Timeliness the images have meaning in the context of a recently published record of events.

* Objectivity the situation implied by the images is a fair and accurate representation of the events they depict in both content and tone.

* Narrative the images combine with other news elements to make facts relatable to the viewer or reader on a cultural level.
Looking at both photos you posted I see very little that relates to photojournalism. What story are your images telling? What event is being conveyed?

I look at the first image and see a run-down building. So? Is the building historic and there are wrecking cranes nearby? Was this the scene of some recent tragic event? What jouralistic situation is this relating too?

I look at the second image - yes it is a tad closer to PJ than the first, but again - what event are you conveying to the viewer? Where's the accident, the drunk person on the ground, the fact that the building in the background is a bar with cars, etc.?
  #6    Top
Old March 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM
Underwater Guy
Recent Photo: Ahihi 03
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I would tend to agree with David somewhat. Of course that's without seeing any accompanying text that could change everything. Both shots are very nice shots to me but more as fine art than PJ. If your story was about an abandoned house, the house pic probably wouldn't have been cropped so tight but rather would have shown more of the surroundings. That might not been as pleasing to look at as this shot but it would have told that particular story. OTOH, if the story was about the fact that the house was dangerous, it may have needed to be cropped around some loose bricks to tell the story. Then again, if the story was about the use of arches in the architecture of the period, it may well should have focused on the doorway. That isn't to say that shot wouldn't fit with some facts in some way, but it seems the word would be needed to explain it with this pic.

The second shot again is artistically cool with the bright neon colors and the combining of red brick with the sign - oh and light is way cool - but the crop shouts art to me - not facts.

"If it sounds good, it is good." Duke Ellington

~ Maui Underwater Photography Workshops ~
~ Reeflections Gallery ~ fine art photography prints
~ Island Magic ~ the DVD
  #7    Top
Old March 22nd, 2009, 07:56 AM
Senior VIP Member

Obliged, for the insightful photograph critiques. Will make a mental note for future referencing.

My albums here:
- Ansel Adams
  #8    Top
Old March 22nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

I think your ultimate goal for a winning entry for photojournalism would be the ability of your photograph to tell the story without the need for words.

I think your photos are both good in their own right but I don't come away with the story. What are you trying to tell us with these shots ? If you are successful - we won't need to ask.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
Sponsors
  #9    Top
Old March 22nd, 2009, 10:53 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Texture rocks
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Chiming in on the general concensus thus far, I don't think either would count as PJ. I agree they are both nice captures. I like the first better than the second. But they don't really match the theme.
  #10    Top
Old March 25th, 2009, 07:07 PM

I'm with Musteno802 on the choice of journalistic images. But let me say that the first image is quite a well balanced shot, with a LOT of interest. The doorway/window on the left pulls me in.

Regarding the "drunk driving" sign - I think it's captivating. The shadowing gradient really adds a lot of interest to the image, and I tend to follow that gradient right into the sign itself. To me, this image is unique enough, and technically fine, that if it was mine, I would submit to a contest, but not particularly a journalistic contest.

FINE work.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things