Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 29th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Assignment 4: Shutter Speed

Shutter speed

The shutter mechanism is what allows the light to reach your sensor (or film) for a specific amount of time. The speed controls the amount time the light is exposed to your sensor (or film). The numbers are there to guide us to the length of time the light is entering your camera. Creative use of shutter speeds are used for so many things but it’s mainly used for stop motion and/or low light situations. The numbers you see with a / on your camera indicate fractions of a second and the numbers with a " indicate numbers longer than a second. Let’s break it down just a little bit…

3" = 3 seconds of light on your sensor (film)
1" = 1 second of light...
1/2 = half a second of light...
1/30 = one-thirtieth of a second of light...
1/1000 = one-thousandth of a second of light...
and so on…

Low light situations almost always need the light to be on the sensor for longer amounts of time. Stopping motion, without blurring your subject, almost always needs the light to be on the sensor for shortest amounts of time possible. Hence the terms slow shutter speeds and fast shutter speeds: Slow shutter speeds means more time for light to be on your sensor and fast shutter speeds means less time. Simple enough, right? Well…the challenging part is using your shutter speed in conjunction with both your aperture and iso (aka: exposure triangle). These three components work hand in hand in controlling light - the one and only secret to good exposure !

Aperture (opening to allow how much light you want to come into your lens/camera)
Shutter Speed (controls the amount of time the light is exposed to your sensor)
Iso (hasn’t been covered yet: Bryan Peterson, in his ‘Understanding Exposure’ book, calls iso his ‘worker bees’ – I agree. Iso is responsible for ‘gathering’ all that light that the aperture and speed is allowing/controlling in and then records your image…we’ll speak more of it in later assignments)

This assignment is simple; I want you to experiment with your camera with low light and/or stop motion using your shutter speed. Post your outcome here and let us know your exposure information. No fuss, simple - just experiment with your numbers!

You can post any questions, concerns and/or if you want to elaborate on the basic approach I’ve taken please feel free to do so.

Below are some examples:

1st was donated by Scott111184 (Thanks Scott! She's a cutie - put a smile on my face!!) - stop motion info is f/2.8, speed 1/1250, iso 100

2nd was donated by me - stop motion info is f/5.6, speed 1/640, iso 160

Have fun – I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s progress.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sh.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	72040  Click image for larger version

Name:	sm.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	72041  

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
  #2    Top
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Assignment 4: Shutter Speed

okay, here are a couple of examples...

low light requires longer shutter speeds. dusk or shade, for example, can require shutter speeds as low as 1/60 or slower. this shot, however, needed a REALLY slow shutter... taken in the shadows of Antelope Canyon, in Arizona, this image was shot with a shutter speed of 8 seconds, at f/13, ISO 200... the slow shutter has blurred the falling sand, and allowed enough light to reach the sensor so that even the shadows have some detail...

this image required a fast shutter to stop the motion of the bufflehead's wings...these little guys are fast fliers, and it takes a very short exposure - and good light! - to freeze them in flight... this was shot at 1/1600 second, f/6.3 at ISO 400...

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #3    Top
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

You also need slow shutter speed to capture that "dreamy waterfall" or other flowing water photos, as shown below:

and here

My Flickr

Save A Dolphin
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

slow shutter speeds do demand a tripod, to make sure the camera doesn't move or shake during the exposure... looks like your waterfall shot was taken hand-held? there's quite a bit of motion blur there...

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #5    Top
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I'm pretty sure that it was not handheld, but maybe I was trying to get away without it... the exposure was 0.8 seconds.
The river was for sure shot using tripod - the exposure was 2 seconds.
The problem is that my tripod is on the list of items to be replaced

My Flickr

Save A Dolphin
  #6    Top
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:34 AM

This was so helpful
  #7    Top
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Senior VIP Member

The wind was 'rippin here today in my parts of Pennsylvania! I was able to "freeze frame" our (USA) glorious flag hanging high above our Veteran's Memorial.

1/1250 sec, f 6.3, ISO 400 @ 90mm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Shuter Speed Assignment.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	72077  

My albums here:
http://www.photographycorner.com/gal...0/ppuser/14501
Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art.
- Ansel Adams

Last edited by FrameofMind; March 30th, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
  #8    Top
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Great examples everyone. I'll try my best to get one up.
  #9    Top
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:58 PM

Soccer Image was shot at 1/1250, f/5 ISO 200/

Dog image at 1/50. f/22, ISO 100
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	June29_0212 (Custom).JPG
Views:	230
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	72089  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766 (Custom).JPG
Views:	221
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	72090  

Facebook

SCPhotography on Facebook

Canon rebel XTI
EF-S 18-55mm f/ 3.5-5.6
EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM

Kodak DX4330 EasyShare
  #10    Top
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Senior VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McC View Post
Soccer Image was shot at 1/1250, f/5 ISO 200/

Dog image at 1/50. f/22, ISO 100
Cool shots Sean

My albums here:
http://www.photographycorner.com/gal...0/ppuser/14501
Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art.
- Ansel Adams
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101