Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM
Elite Member
$50 to spend...

Ok. I know this is forum says non-related photography conversation...but I didn't see where else I should put this question...really just a recommendation is needed.

I have a $50 coupon for ritzcamera.com. I just bought a Nikon D40, 18-55 and 55-200, with a bag too. So I wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations on what I should get...? I was thinking a filter, but I don't know anything about filters, or what kind or anything.

So...if you had $50 to spend at ritz...what would you get?

"Happiness is as a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."
  #2    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:21 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: $50 to spend...

Put it towards the largest capacity SDHC card you can.

BTW, will Ritz still honor that coupon? All of them are being closed due to bankruptcy.
  #3    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:24 PM
Elite Member

I was thinking the card or some filters. There is a three filter set for $26. I haven't looked at the cards yet. I have some small cards, but I know I want to get a 2 or 4 GB too.

"Happiness is as a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."
  #4    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
Recent Photo: mrchile - Peony
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

They may honor the coupons as the stores will likely be running going out of business sales - you may be able to get some really great bargains!

I would check first...
  #5    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:31 PM
Elite Member

I got the coupon from the online store a couple of days ago. They screwed me over pretty big with a banking issue; so this $50 online is part of the resititution.

Ok, so I was looking at the cards. Is there really a difference between the name brand of the cards? There are all kinds of cards for 4GB, but all different prices. I hate making decisions...LOL.

#6    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I have heard of lower quality for off-name brands. But, I have heard of people having problems with good name brands, too.

I typically stick with Kingston, SanDisk, and PNY. I just got a Ritz-branded SD card for my daughter's camera, though.

What filter set are you looking at for $26? Sounds cheap (quality-wise).
  #7    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Premiere Member

And - if you get an SDHC card you do have a card reader that supports it for your computer?
Sponsors
  #8    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/241663863msk.htm

That is for the filter set. By Quantary...something like that.

#9    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Elite Member

Define SDHC card as opposed to a regular card? Forgive me for sounding dense and all. The camera came with a USB plugin, so typically I will use that. That is what I always used with my little point and shoot, which I am going to give to my daughter and son to play with. You wouldn't believe how busy a camera keeps a 3 year old...LOL.

#10    Top
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM
Premiere Member

Skip close-up "filters" - they can be optically bad when coupled to a lens. Save money for a better macro-type lens later.

SD: Cards can have a storage capacity up to 4 GB
SDHC: Cards can have a storage capacity up to 32 GB.

For a given 4 GB SD or SDHC card the difference will probably be in the write speed of the card and/or the transfer speed.

I would suggest a card reader - it might make your transfers a lot faster. With the D40 having a larger sensor than you did before means larger file sizes. And, with a larger capacity card - more data to download.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner