Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Assignment #7: Composition (part II)

Composition (part II)

In the 1st assignment Composition (Part I) we had talked about:

"Interesting Angles"

"Rule of Thirds"

and "Getting Horizons Level"

This one will consist of the following:

"Framing Images"

"Negative Space"

and "Working With Lines"

"Framing images"

Framing the main subject in an image is another way to help the viewer find the point of
interest more easily and make it more enjoyable to the eye. There are many things that can
be used for framing such as, tress, other people (using a shallow DOF) and lines
that lead you in. Here is an example of using the "rule of thirds" and framing the image. I have
put the main subject on the far left of the frame and used a shallow DOF so the main point
of interest is not lost but at the same time you can clearly see who is on the other side of
the conversation.

"Negative Space"

This one can also tie in with the "Rule of Thirds" explained in *composition (part I)*. When photographing a
moving subject, giving that subject space in the direction they are going is a another good way of
representing motion. Panning is also a great way to give the feel of motion but that will be covered at
a later date.

Here you have a soccer player running down field toward the opposing teams goal. Placing the
subject on the left allows you to see that his motion will lead him further into the frame...

"Working With Lines"

If you want to see how incorporating a different variety of lines in your image can benefit you, check out Faisal
from here at the Corner. Lines are a great way to draw the viewer into an image because they can draw attention
and run all the way through the image and can be very eye pleasing when done right. There are multiple type of things
that can be used for this such as a brick wall, buildings, roads, power lines, pretty much anything with lines that
lead into an image. Here is an example of me using power lines to run through an image to the subject.

~ Now lets see what examples you can come up with that have to do with what has just
been explained and be sure to tell us how and why you did what you did. ~

Last edited by Scott111184; May 26th, 2009 at 08:12 AM.
  #2    Top
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Assignment #7: Composition (part II)

Thanks Scott!

My albums here:
http://www.photographycorner.com/gal...0/ppuser/14501
Photography is more than a medium for factual communication of ideas. It is a creative art.
- Ansel Adams
  #3    Top
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrameofMind View Post
Thanks Scott!
Your welcome Regina.
  #4    Top
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: fairprint2
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Nice examples, Scott. I will do my best to get involved and learn from this series.
  #5    Top
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Framing:

in this image, i used two boulders in the foreground to frame West Mitten Butte in Monument Valley. the boulders form borders that "contain" the butte, and focus the eye on the Mitten almost the way the notch on a gun sight focuses the eye on the target...

Leading lines:

the old pilings in this image lead the viewer's eye into the foggy background, as though directing the eye to the opposite shore, which is shrouded in mist and mystery...

Negative space:

leaving space in a composition is especially important with moving subjects. i always try to leave room in the image for the subject, in this case a bufflehead duck, to move "into", to avoid a feeling that the subject is cramped or lacks somewhere to "go".

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #6    Top
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Premiere Member

Those are great examples Rocky! Thanks for sharing.
  #7    Top
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Recent Photo: level train depot
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Scott:

I will try this one this weekend. As always, I appreciate you putting these tutorials out here.
  #8    Top
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:48 AM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfyffe View Post
Scott:

I will try this one this weekend. As always, I appreciate you putting these tutorials out here.
You're welcome, looking forward to see what you will be sharing.
  #9    Top
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 1st bloom
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I will be doing the same, Scott - I'd like to get in more practice before this weekend!

Stuff by me
Create Eye Pop
How to make colors POP in your photos
So you want to start a business Part1 & Part 2

Basics of Photography
Sponsors
  #10    Top
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Recent Photo: level train depot
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

:EDIT: I linked the images from your gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott111184 View Post
You're welcome, looking forward to see what you will be sharing.
I want to upload 2 photos with lines. The first was shot at 1/1600 at F5, ISO 200, EV -1, 18mm and the second was shot at 1/160, F14, ISO 200, EV -1.3, 55mm. Notice how the tracks on the first photo lead your eye out of the picture and the second with a row of trees that leads into the picture towards the building.

The link is http://www.photographycorner.com/gal...y.php?cat=1989 in order to see them. I hope they come through well as I had to compress them a good bit. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Last edited by Scott111184; June 7th, 2009 at 09:05 PM.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101