Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
DOF preview button....... useful?

After few posts on this topic in another thread i decided to make this into a new thread.

The DOF preview button helps in examining the DOF. Thats what the definition says.

Now using a particular f stop, depress shutter halfway to focus, and you can see what is in focus and what is not, increase and decrease the fstop values, focus and see the difference.( go from maximum to minimum)

You can clearly see the DOF thru the view finder, after focusing and without using the DOF preview button. can anyone tell me how they find DOF preview button useful and what additional info the DOF preview button gives?
  #2    Top
Old August 6th, 2004, 03:47 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Its my understanding that the aperature is at the widest when your previewing and it only decreases to the aperature set when you actually click the shutter release. So thats why the preview button comes inhandy. That is unless you got the older cameras where you change the aperature on the lense and it does it in real time

Personally I havent used the preview button since I just focus on what I want to be in focus.
  #3    Top
Old August 6th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Cant say Ive ever used mine either
  #4    Top
Old August 6th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Junior VIP Member
I've used mine but almost always when doing product style subjects. I hardly ever use it for normal photography.

By the way what Gerry described is what's called an automatic lens. During viewing the len is wide open to let the maximum amount of light to the viefinder. When the shutter is depressed the lens "automatically" stops down to the f stop you have selected.

A manual lens, some of us saw them as wee children, is different in that what you have selected for the f stop is what you are viewing at. So if you had it wide open to focus and wanted to use f 16 you would have to "manually" change to f16 BEFORE depressing the shutter.
  #5    Top
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Junior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
I've used it occasionally. Only for product stuff which I don't do often. It's nice to know it's there if you need it though.
  #6    Top
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
The DOF preview button is most useful when you're trying to isolate a subject in focus with the extreme foreground and background out of focus.

You want to know that the whole subject is in focus without making the ackground sharp, so you pick an aperture and then hit the DOF preview button to make sure that :
A. the subject is in focus throughout and
B. the background is a nice, blurry background.

Just picking an aperture and hoping you're right might leave the DOF too shallow, causing the subject to be blurry, or too deep, causing a distracting background.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner