Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old August 22nd, 2014, 01:49 AM
Spammer
Re: Home Photography Studio

hi, i started my home photographic studio. Also i want to getting information to make best studio in my profession.
Sponsors
  #12    Top
Old August 22nd, 2014, 02:13 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Before building a home studio I would visit or even rent some time in a local studio to just look not only at the equipment like lighting, reflectors umbrellas etc... you will need but also space requirements, that all white curved background area and such to first determine if your home has the physical space required. also look at what alternatives their may be with holding back grounds and such. Also confirm that your space will meet your electrical needs for lighting.

If you plan on having models come over do you have a place for them to change clothing, do make up etc... Once you have decided you have the space required, then you will have a good idea of what you will need and you can start researching lighting systems that will produce the results you want. Lastly you may also want space to store props, chairs,stools etc...

You don't have to build or acquire everything at once, but you should be aware of all you will need and set out a plan that supports your budget. Taking a lighting course at your local community college may also help as these types of classes tend to focus on studio style work.
  #13    Top
Old August 22nd, 2014, 08:36 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Agiledogs has some very valid points and they are all things to consider. I convert my living room into a home studio as needed. It will really depend on what kind of photography you are doing. Are you doing portraits where you'll need backdrops, lights, reflectors, etc., or commercial/stock photography for small items where you'll just need enough space for a light box and some lights?

When I first started I actually used a couple old sheets w/ picture hangers and safety pins on the picture rail in our home (it's an older home.) I have a medium sized living room, but a small bathroom. So if I'm shooting, the tv gets turned off, I have to move the coffee table out of the way, and my kid needs to either not be home, or stay in his room as I have to block his doorway to setup my backdrop. Lights and reflector block the tv, etc. and I have to hope that they're ok w/ the small bathroom to change. (Given the state of our house most of the time a quick clean is usually in order too...). I still wish I had more space so I could spread the lighting and reflectors out a bit further as it's generally pretty tightly packed.

This is not meant to discourage you, you do quite a bit with a little space, but you definitely need to consider all options.

Very rarely do I shoot "in studio" for these reasons. Most of my photography is done on location.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #14    Top
Old August 22nd, 2014, 08:39 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Also, if you're just starting out. Start small. Grab a couple sheets you can hang up, or backdrops if you're so inclined.

Instead of buying big monolights that will need to get stored somewhere (mine are usually in a giant rubbermaid crate next to our couch), go to a hardware store, you can get a reflector w/ a clamp and some bright lights. I keep mine sitting on a shelf that's out of sight, out of mind.

Reflectors are easy too. My first reflector I grabbed out of my car. The solar reflector that we use in the summer time. May not be name brand, but for a couple bucks it can't be beat.

I can't tell you the number of times I've had the MacGuyver theme run through my head setting up for a shot early on. Pictures still came out beautifully.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #15    Top
Old November 24th, 2014, 01:29 PM

Count me as another suggestion for AlienBees. I used their Einstein 640 and their Beauty Dish to create these corporate head shots:

and

"No man, however great, is known to everybody and no man, however solitary, is known to nobody." Thomas Moore (1779-1852)
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting