Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: "Eklektik Elektrik"
Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic, Olympus…or?

Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic, Olympus…or?

Does the Gear You have Really Matter? Or How I learned to just take a “Pitcher…”

Well, I will commence with a simple answer "NO"...Whether it is a Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Canon, Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung or any Medium format camera and digital back out there, it really is of no great consequence which brand you own! You want to know why? Based on a recent survey, 90 percent of all DSLR camera's rarely print their images larger than A4 (8x10") format. In other words and in most cases, a good 5 mega pixel camera with good noise specifications would be more than sufficient to do the job and do it very well.

Now, if what you spend most of your time doing is pixel peeping your images at 100 percent on your screen to see if you can notice any anomaly of any sort, than yes, do go out and purchase a $40,000.00, 50 mega pixel back for your Hasselblad. However, if you do so, you will find that you might notice some interesting phenomena, like high chroma noise issues at anything above 400 iso.

Another interesting problem is that when you go to press, the tram noise or pattern will destroy most of those fine pixels that you observed on the screen, a kind of natural grain producer of sorts.

Of course the quality of the sensor is very important, but I believe that any of the 10 mega pixel plus camera's out there could do an admirable job.

I have watched with bemusement the wars that are ongoing on the forums between this and that brand and usually come away thinking that unless you know why you have purchased a brand and to what purpose, than you might as well close your eyes and do a "eenee, meenee, mynee, mo" exercise to determine your choice.

So, if you have no plans to produce an image larger than 12 x19" and have a limited budget, feel confident that no matter what you buy, it will be overkill for that format.

Just be happy that the technology provided for the photographer today has easily out specified the top end camera that existed just 3 years ago.

Enjoy your toy and go out and play...

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=921
  #2    Top
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Leica, Panasonic, Olympus…or?

Nicely put.

But for those that sell images then sometimes it becomes a case of pixel peeping.

But that being said, I do agree with the absurdity of the current mp race . . I think it's calmed down a little but the rumour mill is already working up a storm on the next Nikon release . .

I'm a big believer that it's the person behind the camera and not the camera, I've seen bleeding awful images from some high end cameras in the hands of monkeys and then I've seen some fantastic images from the most basic cameras in the hands of an artist . go figure!

As always sir, well thought.

Andy

ps. I wouldn't say "no" to a nice H3D . . .

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #3    Top
Old July 24th, 2009, 10:21 PM
The Godfather
Recent Photo: Some shots from 2010
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I agree in most part with what you have said, that it's the photographer and not the camera. But some cameras just produce better images, sharper and with better color, Sure you can edit your photos and fix most anything but you can't sell a photo that's out of focus. I have had all kinds of cameras and most of them were good, my Kodak set me back $5000, was it worth it, Yes, at the time it was the only full frame camera out their, and I needed high quality high resolution images for my product photography, it was an excellent studio camera and still is. Since it used Nikon lenses my next choice, for quicker response and fast acting was , at that time, the Nikon D200, I don't remember the price exactly but somewhere around $2000, was it worth it, No! To me a big piece of junk that rarely focused properly. I decided to go back to my old fateful for my outdoor photography, the Leica M8, $5500, was it worth it, damm straight!!! Perfect color, always sharp never missed a shop could hand hold down to a 15th of a sec with no problem, light and easy to carry. I would say after shooting for over 50 years that 95% of all the images I would call good or outstanding were shot with a Leica, by the way, the same lenses I used 50 years ago on my IIIf I am now using on my M8 with outstanding results. So in my case the camera makes a big difference.

Leica M8, Nikon D200, Kodak DCS Pro14n, Olympus E20n, Leica R8, Leica M3, Bessa T101 w/50mm Heliar, Kodak 260,
  #4    Top
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Ben, I agree, well said. When I started taking "snapshots" I was in the military and purchased a camera based on what I could afford at the time. I found that I was fortunate and the camera was a real work horse for me. I eventually bought additional lenses and they gave me good service. The camera was a Petri FT. The company closed several years after I bought the camera and lenses but I still own the lenses and a duplicate of the camera. Relatively recently I began using Pentax and have found them more than adequate for my photographic endeavors. They also meet my financial limitations as an amateur/semi professional. Would I purchase a Canon or a Nikon if I could? Maybe. But to me many of the higher priced and better known named cameras are placing a highr price tag on them because of the name, not necessarily because they are going to take better pictures. As Andy said in his post, "...bleeding awful images from some high end cameras in the hands of monkeys .;." And someone else today said the eye behind the camera determines the photo not the camera.

btw, I have been reading several of your posts and really appreciate your advice, insight and "outside the box" thinking. Keep up the good work.
  #5    Top
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: "Eklektik Elektrik"

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo-tuna View Post
Ben, I agree, well said. When I started taking "snapshots" I was in the military and purchased a camera based on what I could afford at the time. I found that I was fortunate and the camera was a real work horse for me. I eventually bought additional lenses and they gave me good service. The camera was a Petri FT. The company closed several years after I bought the camera and lenses but I still own the lenses and a duplicate of the camera. Relatively recently I began using Pentax and have found them more than adequate for my photographic endeavors. They also meet my financial limitations as an amateur/semi professional. Would I purchase a Canon or a Nikon if I could? Maybe. But to me many of the higher priced and better known named cameras are placing a highr price tag on them because of the name, not necessarily because they are going to take better pictures. As Andy said in his post, "...bleeding awful images from some high end cameras in the hands of monkeys .;." And someone else today said the eye behind the camera determines the photo not the camera.

btw, I have been reading several of your posts and really appreciate your advice, insight and "outside the box" thinking. Keep up the good work.
Good point. that is the difference between marketing in perceived value and real value. In fact that is the strategy of luxury brands. Make the envelope a bit sweeter and charge 10x the price.
Sponsors
  #6    Top
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Recent Photo: mrchile - Peony
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

I don't normally get in on these types of conversations but when I read it I had to chuckle.

A couple months ago, I was in a retail store looking at memory sticks or something.
Anyway, a lady came in with her teenage daughters and one wanted a camera before vacation or going off to college or something. The first thing the salesperson says to them is "oh, you need something with higher than 10 mp. Anything lower just isn't worth it". I had to bite my tongue really hard and walk away...
  #7    Top
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Amen Ben and don't you love those salesman Michelle!?
  #8    Top
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:28 PM

Michele,

You are a more controlled person than I. If I had heard that comment from a salesman, I probably would have jumped in with both feet. I would have had a very hard time not giving the woman and her daughters some advice regarding megapixels. I also probably would have told the salesman he would get more customers later if he was more honest with this one. Word of mouth advertising is very important. He must have worked on commission.

Chuck