Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 1st, 2009, 11:00 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Cascade Slow motion

Hi,

I've got 4 images and need some feedback. Which do you like (& why)?

Thanks for your C & C.

Jon

EXIF: Canon XSi & 55-250 all 4 shots.
1) F/32, 0.5, ISO 100, 163mm
2) F/32, 1.0, ISO 100, 163mm
3) F/32, 0.3, ISO 100, 225mm
4) F/29, 1/10, ISO 100, 232mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CascadeWaterFallSloMo00web.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	75309  Click image for larger version

Name:	CascadeWaterFallSloMo01web.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	550.8 KB
ID:	75310  Click image for larger version

Name:	CascadeWaterFallSloMo02web.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	685.8 KB
ID:	75311  Click image for larger version

Name:	CascadeWaterFallSloMo03web.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	818.7 KB
ID:	75312  
  #2    Top
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Cascade Slow motion

Well, I'll make the desired response easier.

Which one do you like?

Jon
  #3    Top
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Sorry for the late reply Jon.

#2 for me, I like the framing and the rocks are sharpest out of the bunch. I take it these were taken using a tripod? If not you have some amazingly steady hands. I do see some camera shake in all of them but the least in #2.

Were you using a timer or shutter release?

Good sturdy tripod?

Not sure if it matters with the new IS lenses but if you had IS turned on while mounted on a tripod it could have been your problem.
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
Premiere Member

Hi Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to offer me some feedback.

I used a tripod (inexpensive but stable ) and a 2 second delay. The wind might be an issue? Anyhow, In my post of Cascade Mtn.Vista, it was the consensus that post 1999 lenses don't need to worry about IS being on or off. However, on my next trip I will do a couple of things - turn off IS when using a tripod and use a smaller aperture.

Jon
  #5    Top
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: IMG_6734
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Your welcome Jon, the wind could be an issue if it was blowing hard enough because any movement what so ever will guarantee blur at longer shutter speeds. I think I remember reading that somewhere about the IS on '99 lenses and later but when I'm using mine on a tripod I turn if off anyway.

From the images I have seen you post of the Cascade Mtn Vista, it looks gorgeous.
  #6    Top
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Premiere Member

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your additional feedback.

I love the mountains, they provide me with a sense of serenity while I'm immersed in them.

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know - progress not perfection

Jon
  #7    Top
Old September 6th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Roses On Counter Top
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Jon

I think the light is defeating what I perceive to be your goal. Your time frame or window of opportunity for taking this photo may have restricted you to open sun on the rocks and for me it detracts from the water which you are trying to emphasize. Would it have been possible to wait for complete shade before photographing? As seen here No. 4 works best for me.

Jerry
  #8    Top
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Premiere Member

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your illuminating feedback.

Yes, it would have been possible to take the shots later in the day. Most times for me it's a 'learn by my mistakes' process.

My friend commented that the light was not optimal for our trip - bright sunshiney day and we would be in the mountains from around noon until late afternoon. I took the vast majority of my shots on the way to the end of the road. I took more shots at the end but there was no water their for the cotton candy effect. It was almost dark by the time we headed out. So, next time I need to look for water that's shaded

Thanks again for your feedback,

Jon
  #9    Top
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Jon,

I like the vertical depth of #3 and 4, but i like the "off-center" composition of #2. you might try combining those elements next trip out... i agree about the lighting, the bright light didn't do you any favors - too much light in front, and not enough in back... i wouldn't worry much about wind - unless it's really strong - on exposures under 1 sec. any decent tripod should be sufficient for those shots. you might want to invest in an ND filter, though... shooting at such small apertures (f/29 and smaller) can cause image softening and loss of clarity due to diffraction limiting. best to keep your apertures between f/8 and f/16 for optimum clarity. if you can't get the shutter speed you need for the soft-flow effect (1/3 to 1/2 sec is slow enough, you don't have to go all the way down to 1 or 2 seconds) with just an ND, you can in a pinch stack a polarizer with it to slow things down even further. of course the best approach is to let Mother Nature slow the speed for you, by shooting on a cloudy day... and we should have plenty of those coming up before long!

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #10    Top
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Premiere Member

Hi Rocky,

I copied your post onto a document that i'll print out for my trip - going again on Friday. Up to Deception Falls and then the N. Fork Skykomish. Should be a beautiful day in the neighborhood suppose to be in the 80's.

I have both an ND4 and Polarizer filters. They're a brand called Bower. I researched them on Amazon and their were enough reviews and positive responses that I bought them last year. They're not expensive but within my budget. I know, you get what you pay for . . . I guess the results will show one way or the other from my shots.

I Really appreciate all of your feedback and help. And, everybody else's input as well. What doesn't kill me will make me stronger

Jon
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places