Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
  #1    Top
Old September 19th, 2009, 10:32 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Photographing Animals

Article: Photographing Animals
  #2    Top
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM
Recent Photo: Green Anole Macro
Re: Photographing Animals

Nice article. Although, you need to find better zoos! A lot of the zoos I visit are conservation forward and have species survival plans which help educate the public while trying to save these species in the wild. These zoos understand that if you don't have a happy animal, you don't have reproduction and vital research on the animal. The research and information found in these zoos help us understand the animal better (not best) in the wild. I don't understand why some are so against zoos. Yes, I understand some zoos don't have the animals interest at heart and are only for profit (I don't visit those "zoos") and that in a happy, perfect world animals could roam free where they belong, but sadly that just isn't the case. I guess you just have to find the zoos that are top of the line in animal care and conservation. Some of my best shots are taken at zoos that try to best recreate the animals natural environment and behavior. My local zoo recently even had a group of California Condors in the species survival plan that just got released to the wild!
A more in-depth insight to actually photographing zoo animals would have been nice (besides how to get around bars) since it is the best and only way for some to see the animals as mentioned. I look online before visiting a zoo and see what animals they have and what type of enclosures. That way I can tell if I need a zoom lens or if the basic kit lens will do and I'll have a heads up for lighting (inside buildings like reptile houses) and what type of enclosure barriers I'll be up against (glass, bars, moats etc.). It helps me plan out what to pack in my camera bag and also if it seems like a zoo I would want to support.
  #3    Top
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Great post, Jenna! I'm a big zoo-lover myself... my wife and I are members at the Toronto Zoo.
  #4    Top
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:00 AM

Do you think it is right to keep wild animals in a zoo? For many years, wild animals were hunted.
When they are in zoos they're no longer wild. We can only find the beauty of nature in the wild.
Maybe one day in the future we can only see them in photoes..
  #5    Top
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: streets on 35mm
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamilao View Post
Do you think it is right to keep wild animals in a zoo? For many years, wild animals were hunted.
When they are in zoos they're no longer wild. We can only find the beauty of nature in the wild.
Holding animals in zoo's is seen in many different ways, the idea of locking up an animal is obviousley not the idea of a Zoo, but it certainly looks to be that way. Its really up to the person themselves on how they view the idea and how you yourself want to portray your idea on Zoos.

you can look at zoos as being a great way to see animals you might never see before, that you know are being cared for and are in the best enviroment for their natural habitat.

on the other hand we can look at it as being a jail for animals who are meant to be free, locked up in cages and smal enviroments they arent used to or want to be used to.

Zoo keepers im sure take their job very seriousley taking care of these animals and looking down on them for locking them up isnt the right way of looking at it. We should be happy to see that people are taking a stand to take care of most endangered animals.

Here in Ireland we have a zoo called "fotowildlifepark" and the zoo isnt about cages, the harmless animals walk about freely around the zoo while bigger animals are kept in fields. I think this is a great idea but it still begs the question of "is it right".

we could easily debate that for hours to come and i somewhat agree with both sides. its how you look at it and in the end how you want to photograph how you look at it.
  #6    Top
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Recent Photo: lpz187sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedinjen View Post
Nice article. Although, you need to find better zoos! A lot of the zoos I visit are conservation forward and have species survival plans which help educate the public while trying to save these species in the wild. These zoos understand that if you don't have a happy animal, you don't have reproduction and vital research on the animal. The research and information found in these zoos help us understand the animal better (not best) in the wild. I don't understand why some are so against zoos. Yes, I understand some zoos don't have the animals interest at heart and are only for profit (I don't visit those "zoos") and that in a happy, perfect world animals could roam free where they belong, but sadly that just isn't the case. I guess you just have to find the zoos that are top of the line in animal care and conservation. Some of my best shots are taken at zoos that try to best recreate the animals natural environment and behavior. My local zoo recently even had a group of California Condors in the species survival plan that just got released to the wild!
A more in-depth insight to actually photographing zoo animals would have been nice (besides how to get around bars) since it is the best and only way for some to see the animals as mentioned. I look online before visiting a zoo and see what animals they have and what type of enclosures. That way I can tell if I need a zoom lens or if the basic kit lens will do and I'll have a heads up for lighting (inside buildings like reptile houses) and what type of enclosure barriers I'll be up against (glass, bars, moats etc.). It helps me plan out what to pack in my camera bag and also if it seems like a zoo I would want to support.
It is a great article and I tend to agree with you......I often go to Busch Gardens and think that I have gotten a lot of great pictures from there....I have not posted much of them here though, as I know it is different reactions to taking pictures of animals in the zoo...fear of being criticized because they are in captivity.......
  #7    Top
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Brother
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmom View Post
I have not posted much of them here though, as I know it is different reactions to taking pictures of animals in the zoo...fear of being criticized because they are in captivity.......
I understand how you feel about that. I've just had that happen to me recently on this forum. The person who criticized my photo said it was nothing against the photographer (me) but he found it hard to validate photos of animals taken in captivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedinjen View Post
I agree. Many people are not able to photograph animals in their native habitat but zoos provide a glimpse of animals they may not otherwise have a chance to see. Good tip, Jenna, about viewing their website before going!
Allentown, PA Corner Meetup!
I know the REAL Mike Dorn!!
  #8    Top
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:27 AM

I have a dog and I know how hard is to catch some movements

Sometimes I think he is capable to jump on the high tree...

Sponsors
  #9    Top
Old September 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Great article. I guess I don't always think about photoing animals in zoos. I live in a town of 14,000, and near the edge of town at that. So, it isn't too much trouble for me to take a short walk and find the local "wildlife", mainly horses. But, like everyone else in this thread, I'm of two minds on zoos. They are nice to see animals one would normally not get to experience, but is it good to pen them up? I don't know.
  #10    Top
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamilao View Post
No i do not think so. Wild are looks beauty when they are lives in their natural lives. Natural thing always looks different. We do not have any rights to keep them in the case. To live free is their rights.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles